Recommend
154 
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Board Game: Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Newbie Guide to Arkham Horror LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
They have been giving those out as prizes for the Call of Cthulhu LCG and Arkham Nights attendees (on occassion) for years now. If you're looking for ones specifically for the Arkham Horror LCG, they should be selling the 5 we were able to buy there at a later date.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Digman
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Testing...1 2 3
Avatar
Microbadge: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Student at Miskatonic U.Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names Fan
Here is a picture of both of the mats. They are Call of Cthulhu product, not Arkham Horror.

From gallery of jondigman
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I'm not buying new games for me in 2018 Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Nice guide, I am however not going to get this game even though it looks good. I bought LotR LCG for many years as I liked it for solo play and there where always useful cards in the next expansion and the next........ I have however gotten bored with it and lack of money caused me to get behind with the expansions and I haven't felt the need to catch up. I think this is what will happen with this new LCG, I will find it great for a while and have to grab every expansion but eventually I will get bored with it or lack of funds will cause me to fall behind FFG's industrious churning out of the expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I love Nikki Valens!Microbadge: Kansas City Chiefs fan
jondigman wrote:
Here is a picture of both of the mats. They are Call of Cthulhu product, not Arkham Horror.

From gallery of jondigman
Thanks! That is what I get for not paying close enough attention!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
That's actually an old Call of Cthulhu LCG mat. It came out in one of the first Game Night kits in 2012 I believe (back when they were called Season 1, Season 2, etc...).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: AH LCG - The Survivor
That's probably why they were perfectly happy to give them away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Penn & Teller fanMicrobadge: Special Olympics supporterMicrobadge: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
scottatlaw wrote:
Is the game any good? - Do you enjoy Time Stories or Mansions of Madness 2.0? Do you enjoy LCGs or cooperative card games? If you said yes, you will probably enjoy this game quite a bit.
Is there a reason MoM 2.0 was specified and not just MoM? I've played MoM twice and it was OK, but I had some reservations about the one vs many mechanic as well as the repetitive puzzle solving. I've not played MoM 2.0 so I can't use that as a guideline.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG poster
MoM2 is fully cooperative, like AHLCG. MoM1 required one player to control the mythos side, which AHLCG does with game mechanics.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I love Nikki Valens!Microbadge: Kansas City Chiefs fan
davypi wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:
Is the game any good? - Do you enjoy Time Stories or Mansions of Madness 2.0? Do you enjoy LCGs or cooperative card games? If you said yes, you will probably enjoy this game quite a bit.
Is there a reason MoM 2.0 was specified and not just MoM? I've played MoM twice and it was OK, but I had some reservations about the one vs many mechanic as well as the repetitive puzzle solving. I've not played MoM 2.0 so I can't use that as a guideline.
SirRoke is correct (again). I was also thinking that MoM 2.0 and Time Stories both offer narrative experiences where the story is perhaps more important than any other game element.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I love Nikki Valens!Microbadge: Kansas City Chiefs fan
AH: LCG now appears to be sold out of its initial pre-orders for many online stores (CSI, MM, CardHaus).

If you are were on the fence, you'd best be looking hard at those second tier online stores or pre-ordering at your FLGS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
I never even considered being on the fence. I jumped over that fence the second I heard Arkham Horror LCG....


From gallery of ralsar
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: University of California - Los AngelesMicrobadge: Opera fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2
Rindel wrote:
Nice guide, I am however not going to get this game even though it looks good. I bought LotR LCG for many years as I liked it for solo play and there where always useful cards in the next expansion and the next........ I have however gotten bored with it and lack of money caused me to get behind with the expansions and I haven't felt the need to catch up. I think this is what will happen with this new LCG, I will find it great for a while and have to grab every expansion but eventually I will get bored with it or lack of funds will cause me to fall behind FFG's industrious churning out of the expansions.
This is a perfectly rational way to experience an LCG and pretty much describes my experience with LotR. No need to keep collecting packs when your interest wanes or you lack other players or cash. At least that's what I try to tell myself as I continue to buy Netrunner.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Yellow SignMicrobadge: Garphill GamesMicrobadge: Shadowrun RPG fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fan
By my count, 234 sleeves are needed for a single core set, and 370 sleeves total are needed for the two core sets.

119 Player Cards + 5 Investigator Cards + 110 Scenario Cards + 109 Non-Unique Player Cards from the second set + 27 Reused Encounter Scenario Cards.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Scenario 1 : The Gathering, Rats, Ghouls, Striking Fear, Ancient Evils, and Chilling Cold Scenario 2 : The Midnight Masks, Chilling Cold, Nightgaunts, Dark Cult, and Locked Doors Scenario 3 : : The Devourer Below, Ancient Evils, Striking Fear, Ghouls, and Dark Cult.

The second set of Chilling Cold (4), Dark Cult (6), and Ghouls (7), Ancient Evils (3), Striking Fear (7), 27 sleeves.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Braun
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
Thanks for the helpful guide! One other newbie question: I get the need for two core sets to play 3-4 players, but does that doubling apply to all expansions and additional scenarios, as well? Or for a decent 3-player experience is it 2 core sets plus ongoing just a single purchase of any particular follow-on?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: DropMix fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Team Covenant fan
To play you'll only need 1 copy of each expansion.
Deck building is up to you. If you desperately need a 3rd/4th/.../6th copy of a card then you'll need to pick up another copy(or 2) of that expansion, or just proxy it. Though with each successive expansion the need to fight over a small pool of cards will lessen.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I love Nikki Valens!Microbadge: Kansas City Chiefs fan
Shaerys wrote:
Thanks for the helpful guide! One other newbie question: I get the need for two core sets to play 3-4 players, but does that doubling apply to all expansions and additional scenarios, as well? Or for a decent 3-player experience is it 2 core sets plus ongoing just a single purchase of any particular follow-on?
It looks like all future expansions will provide 2 copies of each card. That means that you are fine buying one if you are ok without any cross over between decks. I've not seen the investigator cards for Dunwich yet so depending on how they work, it may be worth getting 2 copies of each expansion moving forward. I'm kind nuts because I want 4 copies of every card so I can do 2 investigator solo games using any card from the pool of cards and never run out of cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan B.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Dogs of War fanMicrobadge: Indiana Jones fanMicrobadge: Board Game Barrage podcast fanMicrobadge: Jaws fanMicrobadge: Radiohead fan
Thanks so much for this guide! I just bought the core set and I look forward to playing in the next few days.

I would love to see an addition to this guide covering how the expansions will work. I know there are the "big box" expansions like Dunwich, and then the small Mythos packs, and then the stand-alone scenarios? In general I'm a bit confused as to how the campaign play works, and even more so in regards to how you integrate and play with these expansions. For example, what order do they need to be played in (no set order at all, even)? What carries over from game to game? When upgrading after a scenario, will you be choosing from upgrades available to you from any of the packs you've bought, or only from that particular scenario? If I've played one character through the core set campaign, do I use the same character in expansions, do I pick someone new and leave the other behind, do they merge into some overlapping deck?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never played an FF LCG before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
rbf1138 wrote:
Thanks so much for this guide! I just bought the core set and I look forward to playing in the next few days.

I would love to see an addition to this guide covering how the expansions will work. I know there are the "big box" expansions like Dunwich, and then the small Mythos packs, and then the stand-alone scenarios? In general I'm a bit confused as to how the campaign play works, and even more so in regards to how you integrate and play with these expansions. For example, what order do they need to be played in (no set order at all, even)? What carries over from game to game? When upgrading after a scenario, will you be choosing from upgrades available to you from any of the packs you've bought, or only from that particular scenario? If I've played one character through the core set campaign, do I use the same character in expansions, do I pick someone new and leave the other behind, do they merge into some overlapping deck?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never played an FF LCG before.
Questions are great!

Right now, the main answer is "Any way you like". There is a Core Campaign and there will be a Dunwich Campaign and your deck gains (positive and negative) cards as you go through a Campaign, and there are simple rules for playing any Scenario by itself without a Campaign, for going from one Campaign to the next, and for including extra Scenarios like Rougarou and Carnevale within a Campaign or playing them by themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: DropMix fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Team Covenant fan
The core set is a 3 chapter campaign that you play in a set order. Dunwich Legacy, the first big box, is the first 2 Chapters of the next 8 chapter campaign. However as we've since learnt you can play those 2 chapters in whichever order you prefer (altering whichever one you play second). Following from that big box will be the 'monthly' releases of the successive chapters of the Dunwich Legacy campaign.

It's the designers intention that you use an investigator for an entire campaign then restart fresh investigators for the next campaign, but the option exists for you to carry them over if you prefer.

You are free to use valid player cards from any expansion you like to build your decks. However I'm guessing plenty of people(at least once) will probably mirror the Lord of the Rings progression style where you only use the player cards up-to the current expansion for playing a scenario.

The stand alone POD scenarios can be inserted between campaign chapters, at the cost of some experience.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan B.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Dogs of War fanMicrobadge: Indiana Jones fanMicrobadge: Board Game Barrage podcast fanMicrobadge: Jaws fanMicrobadge: Radiohead fan
BathTubNZ wrote:
The core set is a 3 chapter campaign that you play in a set order. Dunwich Legacy, the first big box, is the first 2 Chapters of the next 8 chapter campaign. However as we've since learnt you can play those 2 chapters in whichever order you prefer (altering whichever one you play second). Following from that big box will be the 'monthly' releases of the successive chapters of the Dunwich Legacy campaign.

It's the designers intention that you use an investigator for an entire campaign then restart fresh investigators for the next campaign, but the option exists for you to carry them over if you prefer.

You are free to use valid player cards from any expansion you like to build your decks. However I'm guessing plenty of people(at least once) will probably mirror the Lord of the Rings progression style where you only use the player cards up-to the current expansion for playing a scenario.

The stand alone POD scenarios can be inserted between campaign chapters, at the cost of some experience.
Thanks for that! So, for example, after playing through the core campaign with Roland, what happens if I like one of the characters in Dunwich and want to use them going forward? Any progress I'd made on Roland is not transferred in any way to a new character from the new set, correct? Would it be advisable to then go back and use the new character in the core set campaign, to "level them up" for Dunwich and future expansions? I guess I'm kind of lost still as to how progression works, while more and more new investigators become available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: NihilistMicrobadge: Minion of HasturMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
rbf1138 wrote:


Thanks for that! So, for example, after playing through the core campaign with Roland, what happens if I like one of the characters in Dunwich and want to use them going forward? Any progress I'd made on Roland is not transferred in any way to a new character from the new set, correct? Would it be advisable to then go back and use the new character in the core set campaign, to "level them up" for Dunwich and future expansions? I guess I'm kind of lost still as to how progression works, while more and more new investigators become available.
The campaigns are designed for freshly made, level zero decks. Technically you could carry over an investigator and their deck from an earlier campaign but it's not really recommended and you would probably have some mental or physical trauma anyway. As we move forward we will have more options for building decks and picking investigators but essentially it should follow the pattern of buying a deluxe box, picking an investigator, building a deck from the cards that have been released so far, continue that investigator through the next 6 mythos packs (or until they die/go insane) and then wait for the next cycle to start and repeat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: DropMix fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Team Covenant fan
Yeah the campaigns aren't designed with the intent for you to bring your old leveled up investigator. New Campaign, fresh faced new investigators.

However if you want to bring your old powered up investigator, give it a try, maybe up the difficulty level though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
rbf1138 wrote:
Any progress I'd made on Roland is not transferred in any way to a new character from the new set, correct?
That is correct. Investigators, not Players, gain Experience. It can certainly happen, especially as the Campaigns get longer, that your first Investigator will be killed or become so badly damaged that you will want to use a new Investigator - that Investigator will construct a new 0 XP deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: DropMix fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Team Covenant fan
Now that I think about it, I think we'll definitely see a couple of things players will compete to develop over time. The Ultimate Solo Investigator, and 'Just how many campaigns can I take this Investigator on before they're killed off completely' where we see players drag their drooling, limping, 1 health, 1 sanity investigators through their 3rd, 4th, etc campaigns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AH LCG - The SeekerMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Caverna: The Cave Farmers fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
BathTubNZ wrote:
... where we see players drag their drooling, limping, 1 health, 1 sanity investigators through their 3rd, 4th, etc campaigns.
Or in some cases, through their 3rd scenario...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |