Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an amazon gift card that is burning a hole in my amazon wallet, so I need your help!devil

I'm looking for something strategic, with a bit of luck, that will play 2 players well, but has flexibility for more. My wife and I play things pretty regularly 1 on 1, but we often get together with another 1-2 couples on weekend for gaming as well. So a perfect (and probably non-existent) game would play 2-6 people in, at most, 90 min, with a low barrier to entry because one of our friends has rules-explanation ADD gulp

BUT I'm kinda open for a variety of suggestions, which do not have to follow the mold outlined above. Here are some things I have been looking into:

Tigris & Euphrates. The new version is pretty, and it's a classic we've never tried. Might not work for our more ADHD friend, and only plays 4, but can't please everybody...

Ra Another pretty reprint of a classic. A bit pricey, but it looks good, and seems like it would play quickly and engagingly. However, doesn't look like it would work great with 2 players.

Raptor looks cool on the table and seems to be a tight 2 player experience. has great art. however, not sure how much replayability it offers, and it's limited to only 2 players.

So those are some thoughts. What do y'all think, or what might you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperborea is good from 2-5 and I think it could work with 6 but haven't tried it.

Agamemnon is a cool 2 player game with a touch of luck and its super cheap on Amazon right now.

Innovation is one of my favorite games ever and it is amazing at 2 and really good with 4 player teams if everyone knows it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either Ra or Tigris would be great choices. I own both and would not part with either of them. I think Ra plays very good with 2 but it is def more on the lighter side compared with something like Tigris. I would also say that if you are going to get/try Tigris I hope everyone involved is aware of how the game plays. You will not make friends playing this game, in fact you may lose them, depending on the person.

I was going to suggest 7 wonders because it fits some of your criteria. I went to look if you owned it and then stopped when I saw how many games you own. I think you should be well versed in buying games at this point, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
I think either Ra or Tigris would be great choices. I own both and would not part with either of them. I think Ra plays very good with 2 but it is def more on the lighter side compared with something like Tigris. I would also say that if you are going to get/try Tigris I hope everyone involved is aware of how the game plays. You will not make friends playing this game, in fact you may lose them, depending on the person.

I was going to suggest 7 wonders because it fits some of your criteria. I went to look if you owned it and then stopped when I saw how many games you own. I think you should be well versed in buying games at this point, hehe.

I'm pretty good at buying, I'll admit. On the other hand, buying the right thing is sometimes more of a challenge for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know and I can send my T&E over for y'all to try out.

RA is on my to buy list as well... I recommend testing both out on the iPad.

RA is more the set-collection + auction
T&E is area control + light conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I went with Ra. We need to get together and play it sometime. And you can teach me T&E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:
Ha, I went with Ra. We need to get together and play it sometime. And you can teach me T&E

LOL wow. Perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.