10 Posts

Mythos Tales» Forums » General

Subject: Finally got it, initial thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gonna be cool (I've already played the two free PnP cases, and they were outstanding), but...

Disappointed the cases are all in one big book, instead of in separate case files like SHCD's are, and what's with the time tracker? I guess it's easy to dump it, but it's a pointless mechanic imo for what should be a 'journey not the destination' game. Likewise Armitage's 'I can do this in 7-11 locations, btw' preceding each case. He's obviously a min-maxer lol.

Anyway, if the writing and the mysteries in the new cases is at least on par with The King Cometh, those small irks aside, this is going to be in my top 5 fave games ever. So glad it's here at last

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some editions of SHCD were a single bound book - and the KS campaign made it clear that separate 'portfolios' for each adventure was unlikely.

(Though I agree it would've been cool that way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest gripe (and really the ONLY gripe so far) is with the newspapaers.
Having them printed 2 to a sheet (one on each each side) kinda ruins the novelty aesthetic of them being "actual" newspapers (something that was very cool in SHCD). That said, the glossy paper they are printed on also ruins that so, hey ho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The time tracker is not to be thrown out lightly- some leads yield different results if you go there in the morning, afternoon, or evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
My biggest gripe (and really the ONLY gripe so far) is with the newspapaers.
Having them printed 2 to a sheet (one on each each side) kinda ruins the novelty aesthetic of them being "actual" newspapers (something that was very cool in SHCD). That said, the glossy paper they are printed on also ruins that so, hey ho!

I initially wasn't sure how to feel about it, but in the end I like it. I can sit and read the paper before the investigation from top to bottom (like I would in real life) in a short period of time. I inevitably gave up on that during SHCD, especially with other people playing. Just takes so much longer to read the paper than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
The time tracker is not to be thrown out lightly- some leads yield different results if you go there in the morning, afternoon, or evening.

Oh, really? Hm, I like that idea, I think, but the whole point of games like this for me is to experience as much of the writing as possible.

When we played The King Cometh free PnP version, I think if we'd have been forced to stop at an arbitrary point, we might have not got all the stanzas. Since there's no real replay value as such, being made to stop and then maybe 'fail' to solve all the mystery grates, for me. It feels like someone telling me 'if you don't finish that book in an hour, I'm going to tell you Whodunnit! Hurry up!'

Another minor thing specifically for me is that I'm using the game in English lessons I teach; my student and I have done all of SHCD, we preferred the Mythos Tales free PnPs, and adding a little board and counters is a bit of extra fiddly crap on the table lol.

I think we'll perhaps use the time tracker to record time of day for the purpose you mention, but ignore that 'Ding! Too late, noob!' aspect.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you consider using it, and limiting yourself to a finite number of leads. Not only will the pressure be exciting, investigating all the leads kills what little replay value the game has.

Personally, I've only done the first three cases, but I've played them multiple times with multiple groups (taking a passive role in the repeat plays) and it's been interesting to see the different avenues of investigation that can take place.

Notably, there seem to be some overarching plot theads that go between multiple cases. Also, the back of the time tracker seems to be some kind of occult clock, and there is a Cthulhu marker of indeterminate function. I'm very excited to see what they are for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United Kingdom
Axbridge
Outside US/Canada
flag msg tools
It does say that the back of the time tracker, and the other markers, do not yet have a use (ie, will be used in expansions). So yes, potentially exciting but a longer wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I suggest you consider using it, and limiting yourself to a finite number of leads. Not only will the pressure be exciting, investigating all the leads kills what little replay value the game has.

Personally, I've only done the first three cases, but I've played them multiple times with multiple groups (taking a passive role in the repeat plays) and it's been interesting to see the different avenues of investigation that can take place.

Notably, there seem to be some overarching plot theads that go between multiple cases. Also, the back of the time tracker seems to be some kind of occult clock, and there is a Cthulhu marker of indeterminate function. I'm very excited to see what they are for!

I can see your point, and although doung it like that works for you, I think for us it'd be a bit like reading alternste chaptets of a book, then when you'd finished going bsck and reading the ones you skipped forst way through. I don't see myself posying it again in passive mode, really.

I have however actually started playing through SHCDs cases again with another student, and as it was such a long time ago doing it the first time, I've found that I canMt really remember a lot of each case - all the info is in my head somewjere but the cases hsve all mingled so a lot of the time I can't be sure who's done or said what lol. I'll probably revisit MT in a year or two snd hopefully the same thing will happen. For now, I'd like to fully experience the cases and, importantly, actually solve them properly in terms of getting the answers right, rather thsn failing questiins simply because tye time ran out.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
northwindspirit wrote:
It does say that the back of the time tracker, and the other markers, do not yet have a use (ie, will be used in expansions). So yes, potentially exciting but a longer wait...

Really? Bummer. I was hoping they would be introduced in later cases the same way the requirement cards are implemented in case 2.

Still, expansions sounds nice. I'd definitely be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.