22 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How many copies of the base game will you get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
First time jumping on the LCG-train. Was thinking about only getting one copy to play with my girl, but now it seems that two copies at least is required to allow some flexibility. How bout you folks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK but when I get my copy I am getting one, if it's a good game one copy is all I'll need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Manson
France
Istres
Bouches du Rhone
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
One copy is all what I need. If later, I want to explore some characters combos and I miss the needed cards, then, maybe, I buy a second copy nor I only buy the missing cards. The cheapest solution is always the best way!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 cores. Not interested in building the starter decks and you can't do any real deck construction with only one core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you even bother glancing at the top forum topics before posting this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One, because:

1) Supply will be less than demand for the first printing, no reason for me to have two copies and someone else having none (or vice versa)
2) I will have an additional excuse to buy a 2nd copy when the second printing with the inevitable rulebook and card errata comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Noordhoorn
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one, since I'm planning on playing predominantly 2-player with my wife. Unlike the LotR LCG (which I love and did purchase 2 core sets for), it doesn't appear that this game revolves as heavily around deck building, which is good because my wife is not a huge fan of that mechanic and I have to admit it prevents the LotR LCG from getting to the table for me as much as I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four total. I'm supplying for at least two people, and I want a full play set for both people, in case we decide down the line to use the same class. A bit much, I know, but it's my choice. Also going to get two of every expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the one. I'll proxy whatever else I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two is not required, but it allows you to make any theoretical deck. Over time, the "importance" of having a second set will diminish as you will have lots of other expansions to draw cards from.

Generally, people who are LCG fans will probably want two. If you are from a boardgaming or RPG background then likely one will be sufficient. At the worst you can see how it goes and then decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3... yea... 3
For deck building purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two. I thought I'd only play it 2P but after playing The Gathering at 3P count I really liked it. So I want the option to play with more than 2P. Plus I want the option to build a deck different than the starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting this question Don P! Was on my mind and I think I know now I'll get one. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shady Bits wrote:
Thanks for posting this question Don P! Was on my mind and I think I know now I'll get one. Cheers!

Yeah Don P, What would we have done without you?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1655669/1-vs-2-core-sets-fi...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653730/2-core-set-controve...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1655100/what-do-you-mean-i-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1655149/effectively-beat-de...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1652568/do-i-need-2-copies-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638885/definitive-answer-h...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616267/do-you-need-three-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Sorry was not my intention to upset you. Yeah I have seen the threads with discussion of one vs two core boxes but none with just the simple question about how many boxes people are gonna get. Guess its mentioned in the discussion on those threads. Was going to make a poll but it doesnt seem possible here? If there is already a thread with this topic then please ask a moderator to close this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean like this poll, right here?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638110/poll-how-many-core-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I plan to get 2. I will likely play with 3 players (and perhaps even 4).

I do not plan to go all out with the 4 sets though (but one never knows for sure; definitely won't do it right away though). I played at Arkham Nights, and I like the variety I get from having less duplicates.

And, for now, I'm fine with my single set for 2 player games for the same reason.

I do want a second set eventually to play as a group, but for now, I'm completely fine with the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a helpful comment Mario! Best of luck in the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shady Bits wrote:
What a helpful comment Mario! Best of luck in the world!

I was going to say nice use of sarcasm, but then I saw the Canadian Flag, you really are just being nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
Definitely two. I'd like to play 3-4p games, but I'd like early deck building options with 2p as well, and I can't afford 3 or 4 copies for deck building with 3-4p, that'll just have to wait for mythos packs and deluxe expansions to expand my card pool. It'd be nice if someone I play with also picks up the game. And in that last thought is where all the co-op lcg issues come from. The lcg model has always been about each player individually owning their own card pools, but as a co-op game it leads on that only one person needs the game. That is true, but for any competitive lcg player, they will tell you things like netrunner, agot2e, and such, are best when each player is building from their own pool of cards. That's not to say you can't have multiple decks, and let someone use one to play against, but competitively you know the deck better than they do, so you have the upper hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one Core is sufficient here.

The deck building rules are pretty restrictive here so really the customization potential isn't that large yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.