BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Combat Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm dabbling in some game design, and am trying to come up with a unique but streamlined combat mechanic. This is for a medium weight game where combat is not the primary focus.

The two I've thought of are:
- each player has a set of ten combat bonus cards, offering a range of different bonuses. Each of these cards cancel out one or more other cards, the strongest bonus only canceling one (or maybe none), and the weakest cancelling the most.

- Even simpler mechanic where each player, during combat, lays out a set number of facedown cards. Only one of these cards is their strike card. For each point of combat strength, a player can turn one of their opponents cards face up. If they reveal the strike card, they win the combat.

Am I on the right track? Are these too clunky or goofy? Just a noob looking for a little guidance.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think theres some good thoughts there.
I would suggest checking out battle mechanics used in these games (though you have a good diverse collection):
BraveRats - base rule is a bigger number beats a lower number but with all the powers it get really messed with
A Few Acres of Snow - strength is determined by cards some seen and some unseen and you can mess with your opponents useful reserve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me!

You might want to have a look at Kemet as well. Combat is the main thing there but it also has combat bonus cards where each card offers different types of bonus, some being better for offensive, others for defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you want to go super simple but still somewhat interesting you could use 10 numbered cards for each player. Lower number wins, but the number determines the strength. You would want to play the highest number that is lower than your opponent's, which would be a quick but still strategic choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.