Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen several people post that they play the 2P game using the standard (non-2P) rules. To this point, I've only played the game using the recommended 2P variant rules.

For anyone who has played the 2P game using both sets of rules... can you comment on what's gained or lost by playing with the standard rules? I assume that Brad Talton created the 2P variant because he decided something in the standard rules didn't work as well with 2P, but I've never read what it was.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption would be that they wanted to put more emphasis on beating your opponent in tournaments, vs. collecting VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
My assumption would be that they wanted to put more emphasis on beating your opponent in tournaments, vs. collecting VP.

This makes sense to me.

But for the people who have played both ways: do you find that the 2P game does (or doesn't) work better using the standard rules? If so, why? Is the 2P game actually more enjoyable by focusing on a binary win/loss tournament outcome rather than collecting VPs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both ways, and the biggest difference is the collection rules. I like that the collections score linearly with 2p vs increasing with each in 3/4. That said, we always just play rules as written and we don't really play 2p much.

Bottom line though - The game still evokes the same feel and the actual gameplay doesn't meaningfully change much. So play whichever appeals to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2-player game, all that matters is the difference in VP. Thus, the three tournaments are worth 6, 8, and 12 points respectively if you use normal scoring rules.

A 5-card collection is worth 9 points. An 8 card collection is worth 21 points. Getting 2 more cards in your collection than your opponent is practically the equivalent of winning a tournament.

So I see two major problems with the normal scoring rules.

First, the last tournament matters way more than the other two. If you win only the last tourament, you're only behind by 2 points before factoring in collections.

Second, collections are way more about the luck of the draw in this mode. There's basically no reason to trade and far fewer cards seen. Drawing a couple extra cards of the right suit can win you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The printed rules have a problem where the point spread between first and last place gets smaller the fewer players you have. At 2p it would be ridiculous.

For instance, if you played 2p without the variant, if you don't deckbuild at all, and your opponent spends all $30 on improving her deck, you'll get more VP from keeping your money (7VP and a bit) than your opponent wins from the first tournament (6VP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
The printed rules have a problem where the point spread between first and last place gets smaller the fewer players you have. At 2p it would be ridiculous.

For instance, if you played 2p without the variant, if you don't deckbuild at all, and your opponent spends all $30 on improving her deck, you'll get more VP from keeping your money (7VP and a bit) than your opponent wins from the first tournament (6VP).

Whether it is a problem or not is up for debate. However, the point remains. The 3p-5p rules take a bit of emphasis away from the tournament scene so players are rewarded for being active collection gatherers, and could feasibly try a cash conservation strategy, to remain competitive even if a tournament goes the wrong way. Applying those rules to 2p takes (arguably) too much away from tournament scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.