1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions for game for hubby rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! Need some help for ideas for hubby for Christmas...He's not a gamer but not a non-gamer either... He plays RPG's with the boys every couple of weeks, they've had a group ongoing for more than 20 years... I'm not trying to change that.

However, I like games and would love to find something we both love to pull out...

I have an extensive collection and he enjoys (when he remembers the game) Sheriff of Nottingham, X-Wing, King of Tokyo, Drakon, Qwirkle, Rummikub, Smash Up!, Potion Explosion, Robo Rally, Aggravation (my family's way, brutal), Domino's (Mexican Train), Ticket to Ride Europe.... So, quite varied and hence my dilemma....

He likes more competitive / take that games and he prefers tactics over long strategy games. More light to medium.

He's not crazy over card games or deck builders. We still have Shadowrun Crossfire and Seasons.

Edit forgot to mention: He does not like cooperative games or social deduction very much at all....unless it is a big party type group...

Any new games out there that I should consider tracking down?

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Terror in Meeple City would work well if you both like dexterity games. Definitely has the "take that", tactics, competitiveness, and it's not a long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've had a great time with Heroes of Normandie, it's all about direct conflict, though there are mission goals that keep it from being just a slugfest. There's also some randomness with cards and dice, but to me that just keeps it interesting (and the cards are very thematic). Not nearly so dry as typical wargames, and highly expandable if you choose to add more map tiles and units.

Edit: Just had a thought... If he likes puzzles as well as conflict (as your list suggests), also take a look at Dungeon Twister. Currently out of print, though, but it still can be found without too much trouble or money. It's less of a dungeon crawl, more of an underground tactical sport between teams of classic D&D adventurer types. There's also an expansion that takes it up to four players if you like to play with a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest (or possibly the new shorter Dice based Masmorra but that may not be out by Christmas)
Five Tribes
Flick 'em Up!
Specter Ops
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

In my opinion, all those games are relatively light (Specter Ops maybe the heaviest just because of the hidden movement. The agent needs to understand the rules to not give away their position).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World.

I'd suggest watching play throughs or overviews for any suggestion that catches your eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're talking about a game for just the two of you, I'd recommend either Claustrophobia or Raptor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Unfortunately he did not like that as I do own it... but plan on trying again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
Small World.

I'd suggest watching play throughs or overviews for any suggestion that catches your eye.

Thanks...He was okay with Smallword as I also have that... just not a fave...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! Will check some out and hope maybe a couple will be at the games fair we will check out later on! At least I have some more avenues and some I hadn't thought of!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adrenaline
- fast-paced tactics shooter with a eurogame flair (little randomness, area control mechanics).

Kemet
More medium than light, yet plenty of tactical decisions and a lot of back-and-forth

Smash Up
Very random, spur-of-the-moment gameplay, funny artwork and theme

Nexus Ops
light-ish wargame, dice chucking

But for all these games, as for most games featuring direct conflict, 2p is not very good. Imo the only good head-to-head conflict games for 2 player are those explicitly designed as such (Twilight Struggle, Android Netrunner, Star Realms etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I put your husband's preferences into and advanced search, and these were the top results.

Lords of Waterdeep
Cosmic Encounter
Colt Express
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
Raptor
I'm the Boss!
Potion Explosion
Kahuna
Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Dice City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, All!!

We don't play usually with the 2 of us. If we do then we usually pull out Star Wars X-Wing....so the more player suggestions are fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He likes the Star Wars theme. You should buy him Rebellion so we can play that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:

Imperial Assault then? Nothing but turn-by-turn tactical combat and although you're part of a team, you're cooperating against another human player :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For full on take that, Nuclear War might work. It's very silly and has little strategy to speak of, but I enjoy it.

If he likes negotiation/bluffing with his take that (and the fact you list Sheriff of Nottingham suggests he might), either Nothing Personal or Cosmic Encounter might work well for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said that card games aren't really his thing, but Unfair seems to hit all your other elements. It has an interesting theme, tableau building and a decent amount of take that associated with the game. The kickstarter just ended, but you can still make a late pledge for December delivery.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1960349413/unfair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:

Imperial Assault then? Nothing but turn-by-turn tactical combat and although you're part of a team, you're cooperating against another human player :-)

This may actually work, as the overlord players kinda works like a dungeon master. Big investment though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Borghal wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:

This may actually work, as the overlord players kinda works like a dungeon master. Big investment though...

If using tokens for proxies does not bug you, the €80 base game box is all you need - enough replayability for two or three campaigns (30some missions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We really like Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) and Galaxy Trucker :-)

Some simpler ones we also really enjoy are Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and The Downfall of Pompeii

Oh and plus one for colt express and cash and guns. I'm also thinking about getting Room 25 with expansions as this looks kind of fun :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a take that game with tactics with a general fantasy theme that an rpg player would appreciate I'd suggest wiz-war

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broom Service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He likes more competitive / take that games and he prefers tactics over long strategy games. More light to medium.

Check out Black Fleet. 3-4 players. Pick up and deliver. Take that in the form of stealing cargo and sinking ships, but not necessarily in a mean way. Awesome components.
Edit: Grammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Borghal wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:

Ya, he is already done a lot of research on Assault and Rebellion piqued his interest. We may eventually get one but we have decided to wait a bit on these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Neuroshima Hex! ? I have only played the app myself but it seems like it might fit your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.