3 Posts

Risk» Forums » Rules

Subject: I've been playing RISK wrong my whole life. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxwell Smart
msg tools
Quote:
Before rolling, both you and your opponent must announce the number of dice you intend to roll, and you both must roll at the same time.

I've been mistakenly playing this as: attacker always rolls 3 dice unless they have less than 4 troops in the attacking territory, and defender always rolls 2 unless they have less than 2 troops. I understand the rationale behind the real rule, so I have a few questions:

1. How big of a difference does this make? Have my dozens of games throughout my lifetime been one big farce?
2. Why would an attacker ever elect to roll 1 or 2 dice rather than 3, if they have the choice to?
3. Which is better strategy for the defender-- always defending 1 at a time, or 2 at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I see no reason, as defender, to not roll the maximum allowable number of dice.

As an attacker, you missed the opportunity to decide to roll less than 3 dice. I have done this infrequently but often when realizing I needed to move as few armies as possible into a dead end.

I suspect you did not miss a lot not using that option, but it may have lost you a game or two, not much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAquin wrote:

I see no reason, as defender, to not roll the maximum allowable number of dice.

As an attacker, you missed the opportunity to decide to roll less than 3 dice. I have done this infrequently but often when realizing I needed to move as few armies as possible into a dead end.

I suspect you did not miss a lot not using that option, but it may have lost you a game or two, not much more.

Correct.
In regards to rolling less than 3 dice as attacker .... you must remember that if you roll 3 dice, then you MUST at least move 3 armies (more if you want) into the newly acquired territory, if you wiped-out your opponent on that roll.
So for example: If you are the attacker and you roll 3 dice, and the defender only has one army left on the territory you are attacking, and the defender loses with the one die he rolls, then the attacker MUST move in at least 3 armies into the newly conquered territory. The attacker can NOT move in less than 3 armies.
So there might be a situation where you never want to attack with 3 dice, because you don't want 3 armies "stuck" in a dead-end territory, where the armies can no longer advance from there location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.