$20.00
$60.00
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus 1 at the start of of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoggoths can also appear if you have 3 cultists on a space and need to put another, I believe. <-- This is wrong, an old one wakes up.

Also, instead of adding more evil stirs cards to increase the difficulty, you can remove some of the player cards. There are three levels of difficulty presented in the rules.

edit: I was incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Hello!

My question is, that only 5 Shoggoths will appear in the game? 4 by evil stirs cards, and one by a GOO?

Seems to me not so much....

I am Also curious, why no extra Evil stirs cards were added for increased difficulty? (I really hope for an expansion with extra cards... *wink*wink*)

The way the Old Ones work, adding extra Evil stirs cards would not work. You only can allow 6 awaken (the 7th is Cthulhu and an insta-loss). That means with 4 Evil stirs cards, you only get two spare for the occasional escapee Shoggoth or 4th cultist, unless you're able to finish the game before the fourth card comes out.

Instead the difficulty level is adjusted by removing clue cards from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
matzi1 wrote:
Hello!

My question is, that only 5 Shoggoths will appear in the game? 4 by evil stirs cards, and one by a GOO?

Seems to me not so much....

I am Also curious, why no extra Evil stirs cards were added for increased difficulty? (I really hope for an expansion with extra cards... *wink*wink*)

The way the Old Ones work, adding extra Evil stirs cards would not work. You only can allow 6 awaken (the 7th is Cthulhu and an insta-loss). That means with 4 Evil stirs cards, you only get two spare for the occasional escapee Shoggoth or 4th cultist, unless you're able to finish the game before the fourth card comes out.

Instead the difficulty level is adjusted by removing clue cards from the deck.

Though you could increase the difficulty further by flipping an ancient one at the start of the game and applying it's effect. (I'm talking about flipping an additional ancient one, not one that was added to the board)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Shoggoths are plenty. Remember, that you lose the game if all 3 are on the board and a card or an event happens that requires another one to be placed on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirsten Blom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This is my amazing dog Moxxi. She supports us gaming by trying to steal our food :P
mbmbmbmbmb
With 4 players that might be easy. But with 2 you can't travel THAT fast somemtimes. We lost 2 of the 3 Shoggoths because of them dissapearing through portals yesterday. We drew 2 icon summoning cards. And gone was the first Shoggoth that was summoned on a portal with the Evil Stirs card right before

Are you moving the Shoggoths towards the portals everytime you draw a summoning card with that icon on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Riffle

Springfield
Missouri
msg tools
We definitely got hit by the bad side of the RNG factor. In one turn, we have 4 Old Ones show up. (And I don't think we were playing it wrong)

1. Evil Stirs
2. Shoggoths Move - 1 into Portal
3. Shoggoths Move - 1 into Portal
4. Old One Required Adding 4 Cultists, caused one Awakening Ritual

So from the time I ended my turn to the next player going, we have 4 Old Ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riffbw wrote:
We definitely got hit by the bad side of the RNG factor. In one turn, we have 4 Old Ones show up. (And I don't think we were playing it wrong)

1. Evil Stirs

The only Old One I know that adds cultists is Shub Niggurath and it adds them from the bottom of the deck so it shouldn't cause an Awakening...

You got Hastur with a really bad Shoggoth placement? Yeah, that's nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuess wrote:
With 4 players that might be easy. But with 2 you can't travel THAT fast somemtimes. We lost 2 of the 3 Shoggoths because of them dissapearing through portals yesterday. We drew 2 icon summoning cards. And gone was the first Shoggoth that was summoned on a portal with the Evil Stirs card right before

Are you moving the Shoggoths towards the portals everytime you draw a summoning card with that icon on it?

best way to deal with shoggoths:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You learn very quickly that you should end your turn on train stations when you need to deal with shoggoths. trying to guess their movement is going to fail way too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riffbw wrote:

1. Evil Stirs

And just in case anyone is getting a rule incorrect, the shoggoth doesn't trigger when it moves to the portal, it triggers when it starts on the portal.

(but I suppose that would be another way to ramp up the difficulty if desired)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that adding more Evil Stirs cards wouldn't really work because of how the game is basically driven by the Ancient One cards flipping over. if you go through all 4 evil stirs cards, then 4 of the 7 AOs are awoken. Technically, you then have only two more that could awaken by having to place a 4th cultist on a space, having a Shoggoth move into a gate, etc. Since this feels much quicker a game than original Pandemic, problems can very quickly accelerate and end your game in very short time.

The game does come with how to increase difficulty (by removing player cards). Granted, this will make the game harder more because of timing and efficiency than increased monsters to deal with.

I guess if you really wanted a harder game via Evil Stirs cards, you could do the Pandemic Legacy fix. Just make 5 piles of card, rather than the usual 4. Keep the 5th pile off to the side and once you've pulled that first ES card, shuffle it into the 5th pile and put that at the bottom of the deck.

In my limited plays so far, I feel like this is a much speedier and slightly lighter version of pandemic. The challenge is less about the cultists/monsters growing out of control as it is about time quickly running out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.