Subject: understanding when cards are added or converted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Dysart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I'm getting ready to try a solo campaign, so I can get used to the game before trying it with other people. I like the idea of a deck that sees change during play, and I want to make sure I know all the points in the game when new cards could be added to the deck, or when blank cards could become other kinds of cards. Is the list below correct and complete?

* game creation

ADD 36 blank cards, one for each combination of number and suit.

* campaign setup

CONVERT 12 blank cards from the deck into world cards.

* game setup

ADD a new randomly-created card as a world card (if a player does not get a world card in their initial 5 discards).

* action settle

CONVERT a blank card from hand into a world card (if blank in hand but no worlds).
ADD a new randomly-generated card as a world card (if no worlds or blanks in hand).

* action advance

CONVERT a blank card from hand into a tech card (if discarding blank).
ADD a new randomly-generated card as a tech card (if discardin world or completed tech).

* action plan

ADD a new blank card with chosen suit and random value.

* victory

ADD a new randomly-generated card as a civilization card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks fairly comprehensive. The only edge case that comes to mind is if you use evoke a civilization that was given a power to advance a tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am in my 5th era, in about 12ish games. I am still ironing out some details myself, because I want to soon create some variants for the game (not like Dizzy's overhaul, just additions like the official variants), but here is my go until Winder chimes in.

* Yes, the initial deck of the first Era is the basic 36.

* Yes, 12 of the initial 36 will become worlds.

* Yes, if a player doesn't get a single world, then they generate a new one. I believe the new card comes from outside the deck.

* No, if there isn't a world in play/hand that is in a sector your control OR you do not have a blank card in hand, you do not create a new world. There either has to be a created world in play or in hand, or you must have a blank card in hand to settle.

*A newly generated Tech doesn't come from hand. The discarding a blank it is referring to is straight from the deck. Two optional starting points. First you could advance a world or tech already in your tableau. Second discard a card from the deck the following applies to the card from the deck, not the card you use to pay for the action. Incomplete tech means add that tech to your tableau and add an advancement. If the card from the deck is a world (complete or incomplete) or a completed tech, create a new tech from a card outside of the game (so a card with absolutely nothing on it). If it is a blank being discarded from the deck then that card becomes a new tech.

* Yes, a new blank from outside the deck.

* Yes, a new card from outside the deck.

My personal deck is sitting at 73 cards right now, but I have adjusted in between games or else it would probably be 50-60 cards. Playing the base can be pretty brutal, as you could probably tell from my K/D ratio in the first paragraph. It's only that good, because I started with the Legacy variant and used Double Time my first two Eras. Double Time may not sound like much, but it is a big boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
looks like you were coming in as I was typing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
OdinofDuckies wrote:

* No, if there isn't a world in play/hand that is in a sector your control OR you do not have a blank card in hand, you do not create a new world. There either has to be a created world in play or in hand, or you must have a blank card in hand to settle.

Not quite. The settle action is a little clunky, what with all its subconditions. Basically if you have no blanks and no worlds in your hand then you may settle by generating a new card and a world on it in a sector you control and placing it in your tableau. You do not get the free card draw though.

If on the other hand you have worlds (but none in sectors you control) in your hand you cannot settle, so it is possible to get a hand clogged with moons forcing an eventual plan action to dump your hand.

OdinofDuckies wrote:

*A newly generated Tech doesn't come from hand. The discarding a blank it is referring to is straight from the deck. Two optional starting points. First you could advance a world or tech already in your tableau. Second discard a card from the deck the following applies to the card from the deck, not the card you use to pay for the action. Incomplete tech means add that tech to your tableau and add an advancement. If the card from the deck is a world (complete or incomplete) or a completed tech, create a new tech from a card outside of the game (so a card with absolutely nothing on it). If it is a blank being discarded from the deck then that card becomes a new tech.

Odin is right about how the techs advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oops! yep, I see it now. Dot #4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dysart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I did misunderstand the advance action, not noticing that the card discarded is from the deck rather than from hand. It might be helpful to change "discard" to "draw" int he sentence at the top of the right column on page 6. That avoids the redundant "discard" in the third sub-point under that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.