Subject: Orb of Ragfield and Elemental Amulet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Rylander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Settle an arguement:

If you put Elemental Amulet into play with Orb of Ragfield (all power cards in your hand that are worth less than 12 prestige points henceforth have a summoning cost of 5 crystals) in play, should you get all 4 effects?

As it is printed ("If you used this type of energy"), the answer would seem to be "no," but some of the rulings on other cards in the main Seasons rulebook indicate otherwise. for instance, here is a ruling for the amulet itself:

"If the Elemental amulet is summoned through the use of a Diving Chalice, the Potion of Dreams or the Crystal Orb, consider the price to have included all four types of energy in its summoning cost." (Orb is a promo card and was not printed at the time, so it is not specifically mentioned).

Another ruling on Potion of Dreams states "The card summoned by the Potion of Dreams isn’t affected by the effects of the Arcano Leech, the Staff of Spring and of Yjang’s Forgotten Vase." -- this stands in contrast to cards cast with Orb of Ragfield in play.

I argue that, since the Amulet is being cast conventionally (albeit with a forced altered cost), this situation is not the same as putting the Amulet into play with Divine Chalice or Potion of Dreams. The player should expend 5 crystals to put the Amulet into play, and get nothing in return.

My friend maintains that these examples are similar enough (Potion of Dreams even uses the same word, "summon") that the same "full cost" inference should be made. There isn't enough information to assume otherwise. The player should get all 4 effects.

Both of us need to make assumptions and inferences, and conceive our own definitions for words like "summon" in order to make our cases.

For what it's worth, this argument started during a BoardGameArena game in which he cast the Amulet under these circumstances and somehow consumed 1 green energy and was allowed to consume nothing more. We both agree that seems like a bug, and it was reported.

What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can recall correctly, you get, without paying, the benefits of all 4 tokens (if you so choose) when playing on Boardgamearena.com.

I think the effects are similar enough that you should get all four effects.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Beck
msg tools
I'm the other party from the original question. As clarification, bga had me spend the green energy, and I got only the green effect from the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rylander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yeah, it is clear that BGA's implementation isn't working perfectly, it just isn't clear to me what perfection would be here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.