Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got my copy yet, but have consumed just about all the material there is on this (without spoiling any hidden bits).

The general consensus seems to be while the gameplay isn't anything revolutionary, the experience is certainly a fun one and the component quality is off the charts. Personally I can't wait.

So where do they go from here? Start anew with a different game? Expand upon this one? Drop the mic and walk away?

Whatever they do though, obviously all comparisons will come straight back to this release. So MY question is - did they set the bar too high for themselves, should they decide to produce another game?

(This is NOT a thread about raising the bar for the industry as a whole, btw.)

Time will tell, but I'll be very curious to see what's next. A better game? Perhaps. MORE bits? Ha, that would be interesting. A completely different game with cross-compatibility somehow? Sold!

Maybe it's too soon for this discussion though, being less than a week since the release. Let them take a victory lap first, then we can club them over the head in 2017 with the "yeah, but what have you done for me lately?" vitriol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As they mentionned already many times, it is a one time thing. The money from this boardgame is a little fraction of what they make with LoL. It was just a project for some pationnate among their team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
As they mentionned already many times, it is a one time thing. The money from this boardgame is a little fraction of what they make with LoL. It was just a project for some pationnate among their team.

I've heard them say this as well, but I really hope this isn't it for them. I can see why they would walk away given that it would be hard to top the success of this first project. Expectations would almost be too much that any follow up projects would pale in comparison. Maybe if the community shows enough interest, another game could be possible, or at least some expansions for MvM.

As a sports fan I'd equate it to other premature career exits, a la Barry Sanders, or Jim Brown walking away in their prime. Leaving the community to forever wonder what could've been...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can set the bar as high as they want, for they earn billions with LOL. So no matter what they do, it's going to be peanuts for them. Hopefully they bring us additional games like this onw in the future: best price/quality ratio in the market hands down.

And assuming that they will not lose money on this one, we can have an approximate idea of how much of the retail price goes to intermediaries and other subjects diferent from the developer itself. $75 with subsidised shipping for a game that could easily sell for $150? $200? $300? + shipping if we compare the contents to other miniature-heavy or "deluxe" projects has made me really think about whether the prices we are paying elsewhere are fair or just plain bloated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alexander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
it seems to me, this would make a great base set and then nothing but add-ons down the road. No bars to get over with something like that, but you keep it fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am more than angry about Riot Games at the moment. I've ordered and payed for the Wave 1 Edition. I also received an orderconfirmation and an invoice showing Wave 1. But now I've got this reply from the support:

"Hallo Fabian,

das Spiel wird erst ab Mitte Dezember versendet. Bitte entschuldige dieses Missverständnis.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Bullet SoulJa OG

Use my knowledge, I beg you. - Chancellor Palpatine

RiotGames Player Support"

In English:

"Hello Fabian,

the game will be shipped to you in the middle of December. We apologize for the misunderstanding.

With best regards,

Bullet SoulJa OG

Use my knowledge, I beg you. - Chancellor Palpatine

RiotGames Player Support"

As you might guess I am not happy about this answer. A friend of mine ordered and payed the game 5 minutes after me. He received anything shipping confirmation the next day and the game yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanick Echidna
msg tools
In my experience riot does a lot one time things. Like they released a metal album about League of Legends. I hope they will release more boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caden Laptad
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
I can definitely understand your frustration, Fabian, but the good thing to keep in mind is that the game will be just as fun in December as it would in October!

This was a massive operation - give 'em some grace - mistakes happen. Everything is going to be all right in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Roth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_The_Inquiry_ wrote:
I can definitely understand your frustration, Fabian, but the good thing to keep in mind is that the game will be just as fun in December as it would in October!

This isn't really true. If all the hype is gone and a person's friends have all played the game then it won't be "just as fun."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
I can fully understand Fabian. He paid and got in Wave 1, but later after talking to the support they tell him to wait for Wave 2? It's not really encouraging buying a game, even when you wait for getting the game as fast as possible. May be waiting till past midnight. Then you get it even with confirmation on ordering, and later someone tells you, it is a mistake (more like a joke) and you get it months later than all the people who ordered it the same time? Even his friend ordered later, paid later and got the game with Wave 1.

I think riot games should help out here for Fabian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dasmurphy wrote:

Yup, PM'd him 15 minutes ago. Getting to the root issue. If his friend was in NA, that might make sense because the orders sold out at different times based on the region. If his friend is in Europe, this shouldn't have happened.

Looking into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Yup, PM'd him 15 minutes ago....

Hey, you are very fast. cool Hope this works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dasmurphy wrote:
Riot Kades wrote:
Yup, PM'd him 15 minutes ago....

Hey, you are very fast. cool Hope this works out.

Now they're setting the bar high for responsiveness in a third party forum.

Those scoundrels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, glad they resolved that issue after the thread got hijacked.

Anyway, back on topic, they've also said a) they listen to the players, so if the players are enamored with this game and keep the buzz going, I see little reason they wouldn't put something else out there and b) they've got a whole division devoted to getting the brand out there, aside from in video game format and if this one yields strong results (whatever it is they are looking for), again, no reason why they wouldn't follow up.

Regardless, its a big IF until anything is announced.

I kind of liken it to Stranger Things though. That show came out of nowhere and was generally well liked. Now they'll have a big expectation to live up to going into Season 2. If there is a MvM "season 2" (which personally I hope there is), will gamers be happy with just matching expectations or will we expect more and better stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it, but after dealing with the level of entitlement from our community, it wouldn't surprise me if they washed their hands of it. I have read a lot of petty posts in the last few days; what began as an aberration in Kickstarter appears to have bled back into the general pop. I'm starting to feel embarrassment where once there was only pride (this post is a medium to heavy weight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Riot can easily raise the bar. Make a game just like Rum & Bones and use their own IP. Fill it with the 10 most iconic characters. Try to keep the same component quality. That's what they should have done in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riot Kades wrote:
dasmurphy wrote:

Yup, PM'd him 15 minutes ago. Getting to the root issue. If his friend was in NA, that might make sense because the orders sold out at different times based on the region. If his friend is in Europe, this shouldn't have happened.

Looking into it.

Just to confirm Fabian's story, we were both sitting in front of our devices at my place, trying to get our orders through while our other friends waited for our game night finally to start. I was frustrated because I couldn't get through first while Fabian was able to place his order. Then I could place my order as well and everything was okay. In fact, it was way better than okay when I received the shipping note the next morning. From KS I am used to wait three years after paying.

Seeing the response time on Fabian's issue, I am confident that this will be solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Auslender
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I just got the game and the only thing to say is wow.

But I think another big issue here is the great customer service.
We really owe especially Chris and the whole Riot team something for being the best customer service ever.
I think in my whole life I hadn't witnessed something like this.
They are helping us in any way possible and they try to listen to every compliment and complain. That's a real feat in my eyes.

Thank you Chris. Thank you Riot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Orthober
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I think it would be cool to see other yordles released for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
Yeah, glad they resolved that issue after the thread got hijacked.

Anyway, back on topic, they've also said a) they listen to the players, so if the players are enamored with this game and keep the buzz going, I see little reason they wouldn't put something else out there and b) they've got a whole division devoted to getting the brand out there, aside from in video game format and if this one yields strong results (whatever it is they are looking for), again, no reason why they wouldn't follow up.

Regardless, its a big IF until anything is announced.

I kind of liken it to Stranger Things though. That show came out of nowhere and was generally well liked. Now they'll have a big expectation to live up to going into Season 2. If there is a MvM "season 2" (which personally I hope there is), will gamers be happy with just matching expectations or will we expect more and better stuff?

I sincerely hope that they don't try to 'out do' themselves. I think this is one of the biggest issues with many things today, always trying to make it more X. Stranger Things is a great example (or TV/movies in general) so many really good TV shows turn to crap when they keep trying to out do themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't heard about this game until a few days ago when the hype started 'bleeding out' into other forums. I decided to look into it and found the description of gameplay to be bland and the style of the miniatures to be very unappealing. My current price point for this game is $9.

So NO, they did not set the bar too high... IMHO cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to let my issue uncommented now that it had been solved for good.
Chris could research what went wrong with my order and solved the prooblem after a fantastically short time. I just haven't received the shipping confirmation and the support of Riot Games was lacking this info, but guessing I must've ordered too late.
But all went well and I received the game yesterday and could play my first time today with 3 friends. It was great.
Sorry, I didn't want to highjack this threat but I wasn't able to find a more fitting topic for it. I coukdn't start a new threat, because it didn't work with my mobile phone in the first place.

Thanks again to Chris for his fast help. His support was superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Das Problem wrote:

Thanks again to Chris for his fast help. His support was superb.

Course. We're here for you, boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has the potential to set their own bars way too high. Even a game capable of taking game of the year is going to be considered too high of praise if you personally think it's going to be the best thing ever of all time and cure cancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.