4 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Painting Progress: Azathoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Core game paint up here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620097/core-game-painting-...

Azathoth:

My first "real" attempt at lighting effects... I mainly just tried to match the concept art's color scheme, but that was tricky 'cause it was basically Azathoth eating a planet, so the whole lighting situation was pretty "cosmic". But it looked like he was mainly brown tones... so I tipped the tentacles with a bit of a blue/turquoise as a little call back to the bluish tones in the concept art.

I kind of wish he had a fully open eye like in the concept art, the sculpt makes him look a little sleepy, but I guess that matches the lore, hah.

Being a neutral faction, it's nice to not have to try to match a certain color scheme. I'll be painting my figures a bit out of order, so I'll post the monsters as I paint 'em in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work! I also wish the eye was fully open. In the concept notes for the Azathoth painting, Richard said this area is actually an orb swirling with cosmic energy, not an eyeball. I have considered removing this area and trying to find a really sweet marble or glass sphere to put in it's place.

I also appreciate the neutral stuff as you can paint them whatever colors you feel like. I am going to have to go back and add much more faction color to my previous paint ups, or things will get really confusing when a bunch of neutrals are on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant work again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Brilliant work again!

Thanks. =)

SlyMcNasty wrote:
Awesome work! I also wish the eye was fully open. In the concept notes for the Azathoth painting, Richard said this area is actually an orb swirling with cosmic energy, not an eyeball. I have considered removing this area and trying to find a really sweet marble or glass sphere to put in it's place.

I also appreciate the neutral stuff as you can paint them whatever colors you feel like. I am going to have to go back and add much more faction color to my previous paint ups, or things will get really confusing when a bunch of neutrals are on the board.

The giant cosmic energy orb makes sense... I actually tried my hand at painting something "Nebulous" like the concept art, but it didn't turn out so well, so I defaulted to a "gem effect" with a purple-ish color and no eye-ball, kinda like smooth glass. It looked dull so clean, so I experimented with painting in a reflection of the light from his lower mouth. I hope to do more light effects in later paint-ups... it's actually kind of fun, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.