10 Posts

Medici: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this better than the board game for two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Was debating the newer version of the board game since they implemented two player rules but wondering if this version would be a better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Some people in the board game forums for Medici said it's not bad with two.. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grail Games
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question!

Which one is better with two will be a matter of opinion, but FYI the card game was designed from the ground up for 2-6 players. That's how the game was designed by Dr Knizia, we did not decide on it

I suggest watching Rahdo's run-thru video where he plays through a two player game and you can see what you think

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I kind of agree with BoJack about the board game. I didn't back that one because of his reasons listed. However, I think the card game is worth a shot for two. Plus I think Grail Games is doing great work with their recent projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
Japan
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo likes it, and he mainly plays two player games with his wife. I've seen this card game often in the stores here in Japan. I didn't realize it wasn't available in the states. I'm interested, but it reminds me of Port Royal which I already have. So I'm worried it would be too similar.

The Japanese edition's art is a bit boring though. But it's only 16 USD on Amazon JP so I'm tempted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnbenson wrote:
Rahdo likes it, and he mainly plays two player games with his wife. I've seen this card game often in the stores here in Japan. I didn't realize it wasn't available in the states. I'm interested, but it reminds me of Port Royal which I already have. So I'm worried it would be too similar.

The Japanese edition's art is a bit boring though. But it's only 16 USD on Amazon JP so I'm tempted.

I like that artwork. Matches the original Amigo board game and is functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will go against others a bit and say the board game with its minor adjustment of 7 goods per ship as opposed to 5 makes a pretty good 2 player game. I have played it that way and enjoyed it. Of course, it is better at 4 or 5, but still fun with 2. That said, if you are never going to play it with more than 2, I would perhaps buy something else (Ra maybe?). But Medici (the board game) is an excellent choice if you see yourself occasionally with 4 or more players and still want to play with 2.

The card game, because it is push your luck instead of auctions, appears perfectly playable with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Medici the board game with two players (with 7 goods per boat) yesterday for the first time, and we both loved it. So based on that small sample, I think it plays fine with two players. I was actually wondering if three might be the worst player count for Medici, but maybe that was just because I played a game with three that wasn't great because one player didn't seem to be into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici vs Strozzi is a pure 2 player game. And a great one too cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergi Nuñez
Spain
flag msg tools
www.DoctorMeeple.es
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaykev wrote:
Medici vs Strozzi is a pure 2 player game. And a great one too cool

Not easy to find, mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.