Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played the Prologue yesterday evening and had a blast. A wonderful game!
But we have one question so far, that I couldn't answer with the rules:
Can we keep treasures, that we bought during the Prologue? The Prologue ignores the rules for the end of the game, where we make things permanent. But the rules for treasures aren't with these rules.
Can you name the rules that led you to your answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I haven't played yet. Was supposed to start tonight but one of my group dropped out so we're going to try again next week.

My understanding based on post by rob back around Gencon time frame, is after the prologue, the only end of game step you follow is step 7.

Also, I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you keep treasures at all between games. I've been keeping myself away from spoilers, but my understanding is the only thing you keep from a game is your research cards and a single adviser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You never keep treasures from one game to the next, at least with the starting rules.

"here are the starting game parts that continue from game to game.

Islands
The explored sites on an island are permanent.

Permanent Enmity Stickers
Remain on islands and provinces.

Ship Values
One is improved at the end of each game.

Advisors
Each province keeps up to one.

Research Cards
Each province keeps unused research cards.

Title Cards
Players always have exactly one title.

Players should store their title card, enmity tokens, glory marker, kept
advisor, research cards, and any other kept cards in their province chest before returning it to the game box. Return all other cards, tokens, and pieces to the game box."

Game Carryover, p. 21
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
elas wrote:
We have played the Prologue yesterday evening and had a blast. A wonderful game!
But we have one question so far, that I couldn't answer with the rules:
Can we keep treasures, that we bought during the Prologue? The Prologue ignores the rules for the end of the game, where we make things permanent. But the rules for treasures aren't with these rules.
Can you name the rules that led you to your answer?

Like the others said, you dont keep treasures, just as you dont keep upgrades or structures you build from game to game. Thematically, I think of it like this.

Imagine many artistic endeavors in the modern world. Here in America, there are impressive structures like the St Louis Arch, the Seattle Space Needle, and Mount Rushmore, as well as the Statue of Liberty. These are all amazing achievements and admired by people who travel just to see them. But after decades, or centuries, the sense of wonder and grandeur is diminished as new innovations appear, duplicating or surpassing the prowess of the original. The St Louis Arch is not that big a deal anymore.

So those cultural treasures still exist in your province but the period of time that they are seen with unbridled awe and envy is limited.

Just like I dont imagine that only one province has a port, a marketplace or a library. What they have is the best port, marketplace or library in the known world. And if they don't endeavor to maintain and even improve on it, others will soon copy and may even surpass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Players should store their title card, enmity tokens, glory marker, kept
advisor, research cards, and any other kept cards in their province chest before returning it to the game box. Return all other cards, tokens, and pieces to the game box."

Game Carryover, p. 21

I don't have the rules in front of me - I will look it up later - but I think, that in the German version, there is a part in brackets behind "other cards" that tells you "e.g. treasures".

This was the part, that let me think, that you keep treasures.
From my feeling, the treasures are way too cheap to be permanent points and the english rules don't say, that you keep them.
I hope, I misread that part. I'll have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, that seems like a translation error. "Other cards" refers to cards that might be unlocked in the future, not treasures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Ah, that seems like a translation error. "Other cards" refers to cards that might be unlocked in the future, not treasures.

In my game, we are also keeping our leader card and a turn reference card in each of our province chests. So those could also be considered other kept cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Daviau confirmed. Translation mistake. See also here:
Hurra! Der Errata-Thread ist da! Natürlich SPOILERFREI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Daniel :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.