Stratego» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A New Player Of Stratego Finds A New Love rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I used to play the stratego computer gamewhen I was younger and never knew it was a boardgame till I got on this site and saw it, so ever since I have wanted it. It was a blessing when I saw it for 5 euros and I quickly bought it.

it has been sitting in the cupboard ever since. I have been playing my brother in law in chess for a while now and ever since I have been bugging him to try stratego, finally it paid off.

I quickly taught him the rules, the only 1 I stuffed up on was with the bombs, I forgot they stayed there until a miner removes them. He understood the grules very quickly. He had no concept of the setup strategies which he realise as the game progressed.

Because I stuffed up with one rule miners were very undervalued. We also didnt really use the spies or marshalls to full affect because He was just learning and I was relearning.

But he ended up winning, I thought I'd bluff him and have the flag up the front behind the lake, this bluff didnt pay off.

All in All it was a good game, he played well and learnt the game quickly.

After the match he said to me 'I didnt want to play this game because I thought it would be very complex, but its not it has short rules but lots of strategy and thats the short of games that I like'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
mbmb
im glad you found someone to play! sounds awesome.

i also enjoy this game and i bought 2 older versions
of it at a garage sale last year(both were complete/near complete
i do believe) for a mere 50 cents each. great condition.

id say that the only thing i dont like about this game is that
the board is clogged up way too much. im sure for some people
this just adds to the strategy but it bugs me to no end. if i want a guy near the band ranks to get action it takes like 20 turns to get him to the front. i have the same quarrel with chess because my pieces are always in the way of my pieces( yet again probably strategy).

the fact that the rules are simple so you can teach just about anyone to play is great. i also think i have this game for computer but i never really played it. just once or twice.

--QD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I would agree it can get very clogged up and it can be very difficult to maneuver out of the jam. Thats when good initial placement can solve things, but that comes with experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Stratego one summer in summmer camp. The one I was exposed to was the electronic version where when two pieces clashed you placed them in a slot and the built in computer would tell you which piece won. That way, you never actually knew what piece defeated your piece and had to deduce what enemy piece that was.

I haven't played since then but I almost bought the collectible version where you played fantasy type groups such as fielding an undead army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Oni no board wrote:
I played Stratego one summer in summmer camp. The one I was exposed to was the electronic version where when two pieces clashed you placed them in a slot and the built in computer would tell you which piece won. That way, you never actually knew what piece defeated your piece and had to deduce what enemy piece that was.

I haven't played since then but I almost bought the collectible version where you played fantasy type groups such as fielding an undead army.

That sounds like a very interesting twist to the game.

Ive heard bad things about the fantasy version, but you can get it very cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.