Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say it is turn one and I send a ship into warp. I then spend my remaining actions on ship building and research. Next turn, when I have two warp tokens down, if I take an action to exit warp with my ship, do I place 2 lanes and 2 systems, but only enter the second one, or do I only place one lane and one system and stop in that 1st system no matter how many warp tokens I had left as I was crossing through an unexplored area?

Also,is impulse movement only really used for blocking other ships' entry into your sectors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Let's say it is turn one and I send a ship into warp. I then spend my remaining actions on ship building and research. Next turn, when I have two warp tokens down, if I take an action to exit warp with my ship, do I place 2 lanes and 2 systems, but only enter the second one, or do I only place one lane and one system and stop in that 1st system no matter how many warp tokens I had left as I was crossing through an unexplored area?

Also,is impulse movement only really used for blocking other ships' entry into your sectors?

as soon as you enter a new system you must stop, so you cannot place 2 lanes and 2 systems.

however, lets say you come out of warp with 2 tokens and the first lane you place down connects to a system already down (not a new one), you can then continue moving into a new lane and new system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
or do I only place one lane and one system and stop in that 1st system no matter how many warp tokens I had left as I was crossing through an unexplored area?

It's this one.

The number of warp tokens is the max distance from your starting point where you can exit warp. When you hit an unexplored system, you must stop.

In general, I'd advise you to at least explore ONE system tile on your first turn, to take advantage of the fact that you know there won't be hazardous phenomenons in the top 6 tiles. You still could run into a hazardous planet or a bad exploration card, but your odds of it being something bad will increase after the first 6 tiles have been exposed. Don't give all of those to your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both. I assumed the correct answer but as the rule book differentiates between "passing through" and "entering" in other situations, I just wanted to verify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you must stop in the first new system you explore, any remaining warp tokens are lost

impulse can help just to test the length of a spacelane so you can back out in your 2nd sector move if you dont like the result, or blocking lanes as you say, or mostly as part of the tactical move after winning/losing a battle which uses impulse movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:

It's also the easiest way to "test" out new space lanes when you are looking for a specific length. If you are on a system disc, you spend a command to roll the new lane and move one space onto it. If you don't like it, your second move is back to the system disc, allowing the lane to disappear. Repeat as necessary.

I've also seen players get so fixated on warp movement (it really is the best way to travel) that they don't realize impulse might be "cheaper" in the command department. In other words, warp always takes a minimum of two commands (one to enter warp/one to exit). But sometimes you really only need to move two spaces, so a single impulse command is better. Seems silly, but it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Let's say it is turn one and I send a ship into warp. I then spend my remaining actions on ship building and research....

Your main question has been answered, but this passage makes it seem like you may be doing something wrong. Ship building is done during the build phase and, like everything else done in that phase, does not require commands. You cannot build ships after put a ship into warp. Also, by "research" do you mean drawing projects or commiting research tokens to projects or upgrades? If it's drawing projects then that happens in the command phase, but if you are talking about committing research tokens then that happens in the build phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
Let's say it is turn one and I send a ship into warp. I then spend my remaining actions on ship building and research....

Your main question has been answered, but this passage makes it seem like you may be doing something wrong. Ship building is done during the build phase and, like everything else done in that phase, does not require commands. You cannot build ships after put a ship into warp. Also, by "research" do you mean drawing projects or commiting research tokens to projects or upgrades? If it's drawing projects then that happens in the command phase, but if you are talking about committing research tokens then that happens in the build phase.

No, I was doing the other stuff right, I just accidentally stated building a ship as an action... I was more hung up on the movement rule. The other stuff I understand. I just didn't phrase my hypothetical correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.