Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alberta Gamers!

I'm relatively new to the area, and haven't quite hit my stride in searching out local game groups. I know about the FallCon groups that meet but haven't made it there yet.

It's not particularly social at 2 players, but are there any local groups or anything that are playing Memoir 44. I have a very nearly complete set, but it never hits the table. Looking to get more plays of that and a few others (Descent, Abyss, Cosmic Encounter, Mice & Mystics).

Any advice much appreciated!
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with a nearly complete set of Memior '44 sounds amazing. I'd be interested in playing sometime - perhaps at Sentry Box or Dickens?

I'm busy Monday's so can never make it to the FallCon Monday meet at Sentry Box, but perhaps another day of the week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind learning it, keep getting into other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a complete set of Memoir'44, well not the 12+ base set required for the D-Day mega map set but you get the idea. Plus pretty much every other Richard Borg C&C system game(s). I'm up for anything Memoir'44, single battles or campaigns.

Check out http://www.meetup.com/Fallcon365/events/234842906/ , a wargaming group that meets every two weeks at Sentry Box. I'm usually there plus at the Sentry Box Monday night (mostly but not all Euro) games group (35 - 70 players). The Monday mob starts around 6pm and goes until the wee hours of the next morning (long after the store closes). I'll pack Memoir'44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely play Memoir '44. Robert mentioned the wargaming meetup at the Sentry Box, which is probably the best time/place for me. Take note that there may be one or two folks there who don't consider M'44 to be a "real" war game. However, I would definitely play it. I'm usually there playing Combat Commander: Europe.

I also attend some of the meetups at the Horton Rd. Legion or the Brentwood Co-Op meetups. Unfortunately I don't make it to any weeknight stuff on account of work.

Just perused your profile; I'd also definitely play Crokinole. Just started getting into it. But, not so much at the war gaming meetup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Saturday is my wife's birthday, so it looks like that won't be a great day for making the wargaming meetup. SD40, flapjackmachine, tonyf55, jgbaxter... do any of you want to shoot for the Nov 12 War-game meetup at Sentry Box?

I agree with Shane... I'm assuming most people that go to a wargaming meetup won't think of Memoir 44 as a proper war-game, but maybe if we just spread a bunch of chits around the floor near us they won't notice?

My Memoir 44 is almost entirely in one plano box, so is relatively easy to transport.

Shane - I'm always up for Crokinole and its awkward but seasonally appropriate cousin Catacombs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gregburbidge wrote:
I agree with Shane... I'm assuming most people that go to a wargaming meetup won't think of Memoir 44 as a proper war-game, but maybe if we just spread a bunch of chits around the floor near us they won't notice?.

Not this again, Memoir'44 is a operational level wargame. Tankless, generic battlefield Combat Commander: Europe may be a type of small unit combat imitator but it's not a specific historical event simulation game. Which puts the Combat Commander series in the same group of wargames as Risk or PanzerBlitz for me.

Greg, are you only 'free to game' on Saturdays? The last time I played one of the multiplayer Overlord Memoir'44 maps (Sword of Stalingrad) was this July during one of the regular Sentry Box Monday night gaming events. The other games you mentioned in the original post are more likely to be played on Mondays or at the monthly Brentwood Co-op meets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gregburbidge wrote:
do any of you want to shoot for the Nov 12 War-game meetup at Sentry Box?

I should be there unless I pick up an extra shift at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Robert.

Nov 12 is hard to say, I'll be there if I've got a for sure game going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately November 12th is already booked for me Have a bunch of out-of-town company coming by. Have fun with it. I would be interested in the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane/Jon - I'll touch base again before Nov 12th to see if that might still work for you.

Robert - I'm pretty flexible right now for gaming. I'd be happy to tackle Memoir 44 or most anything else on an alternate day/evening, including the Monday night meetup if that might work better for you.

Anthony - Umm... do your guests not enjoy fun? Hopefully we can find an alternate date to get some tiny tanking in.

gb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally arrive at the Monday meetups around 6:30pm, I'll pack Memoir'44 along with my usual swarm of games. If you attend I should be easy to find, just ask around the mob. It will be a break for me from Terraforming Mars. Monday gaming at the 'Box' tends to be the 'cult of the new'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unexpectedly I have to get my dog to the vet this morning.

Does anyone know how long the meetup goes today, and would anyone be up for getting a game of memoir 44 in after lunch if it is still happening?

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
It usually goes to at least supper time, often later depending on who is there. Best bet is to post on the meetup event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gang was at the 'Box' until after 7pm. Games played included Combat Commander, Kingmaker, Terraforming Mars, and later A Few Acres of Snow. Memoir'44 sets were around but not played.

Just let us know (here or at the Meetup website) when you are available Greg and I'll bring Memoir'44 out. I'm out weekly Monday Nights at Sentry Box as well as the Saturday Wargaming meets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there as part of the 'gang' today; I left around 6:30pm. Typically, however, most people who come will get one longer game in and then leave after that game. So by 4pm ish it's pretty sparse. This is of course specifically for our "CSWG" group. There could always be other gamers still around well after that.

Posting comments on the meetup group could work well as some of us will have notifications turned on and could even get those during the event. I had not checked BGG this morning before leaving, hence not seeing your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.