Subject: [SPOILER] Event card E rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Magnissimus Maximus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just finished game 2. We are playing with 3 players and unlocked the first chest in the first game. I played as Duke and completed the "The sea´s embrace" (sinking another province´s ship) Milestone in the first turn. I feel that Milestone was way overpowered as it required a quite simple endeavour with no prior planning (Got lucky with the Forum, buying a +2 raid Advisor) for a whopping +5 Glory (successful raid + milestone) in the first round. It kind of ruined the game for everyone (me included), as it was low hanging fruit heavily penalising the starting player. Anyhow, for the rules question:

The sea´s embrace makes you stick the "X" at the site of the event, which in our case was at the island closest to shore (2 spaces away from every province). The event card (E) states that the sunken ship attacks the ship closest to the sticker. It says nothing about what happens if several ships are equidistant from it. For us, in most cases, the closest ship(s) will be any ship at home port.

We house-ruled this into ships in home port being safe, and any closest ship(s) out at sea being attacked. Any views on this? Official clarifications? JR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Torell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Android:Netrunner videos: http://www.peachhack.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the ease of sinking a ship, it sounds like you may have gotten at least a little lucky -- sinking another player's ship can be tough that early in the game if they have no damage, especially if they have their other ship there too. And don't worry: we played two games last night, and I got a bunch of glory really fast to win the first one, but since I was last in the turn order for game 2, everyone gobbled up everything I wanted before I could get there and I finished 5 points behind everyone else. So it tends to even out.

As for the actual question, I'm relatively certain that such ties are broken by title, going to the person with the highest title. So if there are multiple ships in range, it attacks the ship belonging to the person with the highest title.

Also, if you have two ships in the same space, it is my understanding that you can choose which ship is your defender, just like in a ship raid.

I could be wrong, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear about how to break ties. Anything unfavorable goes against the player with the highest rank.

As for the other comment:

The starting player had some options. He could stay in port where he benefits from control of the space. He could buy an upgrade that improves his defense. I'd have more sympathy if you targeted the last player, who didn't get to do anything yet, but if you targeted the first player, and he left himself open, wasn't that completely his choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Magnissimus Maximus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The rules are clear about how to break ties. Anything unfavorable goes against the player with the highest rank.

As for the other comment:

The starting player had some options. He could stay in port where he benefits from control of the space. He could buy an upgrade that improves his defense. I'd have more sympathy if you targeted the last player, who didn't get to do anything yet, but if you targeted the first player, and he left himself open, wasn't that completely his choice?

Forgot about the titles, that is of course very obvious, thank you. The first player did leave himself very exposed with no support ship or upgrades, so he could definitely have made a better move. I still feel it should be worth maybe 2 glory, not 4, but I guess it will make more sense after a few more games. He starts the next game 20 points behind (12 gold ahead), so he should be able to catch up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitting up your ships when you know that another player will get a big reward for sinking one of them is, how should I say this, "bold".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Baksh
Canada
flag msg tools
So we had a similar situation. Firstly, in the previous game, two of the milestones (explore 6defense and raid highest on island) were claimed in the first round, so we were already prepared that the difficulty of some milestones are not equal to their weight. The first player left port and split their ships. I was second player and left port and split my ships. I didn't care about raiding, and the caravan driver was in the advisors and I knew it was the only way to get the "Sell 4 goods at a time" milestone. So I jumped on it and ignored the raiding advisor. Third player got it and raided me and sunk me at the closest island. However, because I had a slow start, I ended up first player (lowest score)after the first winter. I sold my 4 goods, claimed the advisor, and used the money to get some upgrades the next turn and nearly caught up to the first place player (the one who raided me. Then the ghost ship hit and damaged me. Had it not hit, I would have been able to raid the treasure room of the player who hit me and steal treasure to win. So basically got screwed twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.