Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meetings are currently first Monday of the month, at the Marlow Donkey (next to Marlow Station), 8pm onwards. This is a fairly new group, first organised on Meetup; at the moment we mostly tend to play several quick games rather than one longer one.

Marlow Tabletop and Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
I'm interested.
What games are you thinking of playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't really plan in advance very much.

Last time we had 6 Nimmt!, The Resistance and Scrimish. The time before that, The Resistance, Bang! The Dice Game, and Codenames. The time before that, I was playing Flash Point and Coup; I don't remember what the other half of the group was doing.

So I think it would be fair to say that we're mostly playing relatively quick and light games at the moment rather than all-evening affairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening: Rococo on one table, Tsuro, Captain Sonar and Grifters on the other. Now moving to first and third Mondays to see if the demand is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Read My Blog
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a good evening on Monday, not played Rococo before, but did enjoy it even if Paul did wipe the floor with the rest of us.

Also the beer is pretty good and board gaming whilst drinking beer is pretty much the perfect evening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday night saw Ricochet Robots, Captain Sonar, Codenames: Pictures and Guilds of London among others.

There will be an extra meeting on Wednesday 18 January 2017, now listed in the guild calendar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Is the meet in the pub or a function room of the pub. In my experience pubs and boardgames don't mix well. Unless they are seperated from other punters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the pub itself, and on a Monday at least it's not too crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Oh ok. That's a shame. I'm not a fan of pubs so won't be attending!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you suggest an alternative venue in the area ? While I'm not really a pub person either, buying a soft drink or two is a relatively cheap way of getting access to some space.

Previously we used an upstairs room at a different pub, which was pretty quiet, but we didn't spend enough and so were encouraged to try somewhere else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Read My Blog
mbmbmbmbmb
divenal wrote:
Can you suggest an alternative venue in the area ? While I'm not really a pub person either, buying a soft drink or two is a relatively cheap way of getting access to some space.

Previously we used an upstairs room at a different pub, which was pretty quiet, but we didn't spend enough and so were encouraged to try somewhere else

I think part of the issue is that as the gaming group is still quite new and as we aren't yet guaranteed regular numbers we need somewhere which is safe bet cost wise. A pub works well for this as basically as long as we but a steady stream of drinks they are happy for us to use the tables and the cost is only the drinks you buy. If we were to rent a pub's function room or a hall somewhere we'd have to pay a flat fee and that could mean that if only a few turn up the cost per person is high.

We may be able to find a coffee shop (Marlow is not short of these!) that is open late and willing to accommodate us.

Personally the pub doesn't bother me. I had some reservations at first as you don't want to be putting your beloved board games out on sticky tables or jostling for room with rowdy punters. However on my three trips so far I've found the Marlow Donkey pub to be very clean and civilized! No concerns from me so far and a beer whilst gaming is very pleasant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I was too virus-ridden to make it, but the group played Cavern Tavern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Bowers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Last night was our first experiment with a mid-monthly and mid-weekly gathering.

We played Takenoko, 221B Baker Street, and Love Letter.

The Marlow Donkey was pretty quiet. I think it's a lot busier Thursday through Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wood
United Kingdom
Little Chalfont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We usually meet on Tuesdays, with my established group available we use the Dashwood Arms in Piddington, or if not there is a group at the Beechtree in Hazlemere, though I believe they prefer attendees to let them know in advance.

Neither pub seems to have or pose a problem with gaming.

V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening: Splendor, Ingenious, Antidote, 6 nimmt! and Tsuro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This week, the unexpected (but nevertheless welcome) attendance of a fifth gamer knocked our planned games awry. So after the customary introductory rounds of 6 nimmt!, we played a couple of not-so-well-prepared backup games:
- Evolution (the 1984 version), and
- Wild Fun West (which got off to a shakey start since I'd forgotten about the basic income, but we decided we would be prepared to try it again).

Then one quick round of Red7 after one of our party had to leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night:

Robo Rally (2016) - MUCH faster than the older editions, damage completely revamped, distinctly more fun even though I lost both games.
The Hobbit - I wasn't in this one
Scrimish Card Game - or this one
Automobiles - my goodness this needs a better reference card.

(One of the bar staff is getting curious…)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This week we had 5 players, and stuck to light games.

Started with Loot while waiting to see if anyone else would arrive. Then a couple of rounds of BANG! The Dice Game, after which one of the party left. A few rounds of We Didn't Playtest This At All left some of us a bit bemused, which probably wasn't helped by a final game of Killer Bunnies....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening, four players, with two more arriving a bit later.

Started with Splendor, then two split off for Go while the other four played Colt Express and Ingenious; then we got back together to finish off with a couple of rounds of 6 nimmt!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A four-player meeting on Wednesday: Concept, Rise of Augustus, Monty Python Fluxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four players on a Bank Holiday Monday evening: Love Letter, Colt Express (with custom 3d-printed bits), Rise of Augustus and The Game (2015) (with 6 Nimmt! cards because why not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening: five-sided Coup and six-sided Steampunk Rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night: Ricochet Robots, Mafia de Cuba (just received in a maths trade), and Rise of Augustus. I was Expo-ed out so left at that point. Next meeting will be on Monday 19th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last (hot) night, four of us played Tales of the Arabian Nights, and the other four The Castles of Burgundy. Next meeting on Monday 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd ended up being a full evening's run of Concept, with modified rules since they mostly get in the way anyway. Not a masterpiece of game design but great fun as a change of pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.