$20.00
$60.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Space Empires: 4X» Forums » General

Subject: Recommend a scenario for 4 new-ish players - disregarding game length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about to fire this game up for 4 players, most of whom have played the game before, although quite some time ago.

We have the expansion available and are keen to include as many 4X goodies as is sensible.

Disregarding game length, which scenario would you experts recommended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb
My recommendation is 2v2 with players seated opposite each other. Usually forces everyone to get involved quickly or your team might get smashed in a 2v1. If everyone is on their own it generally becomes more of a stalemate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul OConnor
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The Doomsday Machine and Space Amoeba scenarios are a nice way to get reacquainted with the rules because everybody is on the same side.

Once you are good with the rules, we usually play with Industrial/Research Centers and the Deep Space variant using 2v2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwal wrote:
My recommendation is 2v2 with players seated opposite each other. Usually forces everyone to get involved quickly or your team might get smashed in a 2v1. If everyone is on their own it generally becomes more of a stalemate.

I heard of a variant where you win only if you destroy the player on your left (or right). That way everyone has a different player they are attacking and defending against and it helps with the everyone-against-one-player situation.

Not sure how that plays out as I haven't tried it, but I'm interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I heard of a variant where you win only if you destroy the player on your left (or right). That way everyone has a different player they are attacking and defending against and it helps with the everyone-against-one-player situation.

Not sure how that plays out as I haven't tried it, but I'm interested.

There's more info on that here:
Multiplayer "sinister" variant: win by eliminating homeworld of the player on your left

Alas I too have not tried it in Space Empires (still only played solitaire and 2-player!), but it works excellently in Homeworlds (from which I got the idea) and in some other multiplayer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2v2 is probably the way to go, IMO, especially if there's a mix of experience levels. Most questions that arise will be on either filling out a production sheet or strategy, and having a confidant will smooth that out considerably.

I'd put the allies on the diagonals, instead of side-by-side. Everyone has two primary threats that way, but only a distant ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.