Subject: MMP Sale? Thanks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea when MMP will post what games will be on sale on their website for next week's sale? Happy?

Thanks
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: MMP Sale
Historically I don't think they really post anything until the sale begins. Only real rule of thumb is that there won't be anything released within the past year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1650238/multi-man-publishin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On October 16 on CSW, Brian Youse mentioned that they'd probably list the games for sale later this week.

In the past, they wouldn't announce the games going on sale in advance, but I think they did for the last sale or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turks1966 wrote:
Any idea when MMP will post what games will be on sale on their website for next week's sale?

turks1966

This thread title needs a question mark. pls & thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
LOL .. What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
LOL .. What?

To denote that it is a question about the sale and not information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Historically I don't think they really post anything until the sale begins. Only real rule of thumb is that there won't be anything released within the past year.

I think major ASL modules are also never on sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They usually dig out some copies of an OOP game or two. Sometimes they're ziplock copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got For King & Country a couple years ago on the Thanksgiving sale. Also a couple action packs..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does an MMP sale mean their games drop from criminally overpriced to merely outrageous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
Does an MMP sale mean their games drop from criminally overpriced to merely outrageous?

Really? They are certainly higher than I would like but that applies to just about everything these days, and they are comparable with GMT. Short print runs, and for those of us in the UK, trans-Atlantic shipping, a monopolistic distribution set-up and a falling Pound all add to the price.

The only two MMP games which caused me an intake of breath and a shake of the head were 'Haakke Palle' where there really was a lack of stuff in the box for the price point, and 'The Greatest Day' where £200+ simply ruled it out as a purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
winheath wrote:

Really? They are certainly higher than I would like but that applies to just about everything these days, and they are comparable with GMT. Short print runs, and for those of us in the UK, trans-Atlantic shipping, a monopolistic distribution set-up and a falling Pound all add to the price.

The only two MMP games which caused me an intake of breath and a shake of the head were 'Haakke Palle' where there really was a lack of stuff in the box for the price point, and 'The Greatest Day' where £200+ simply ruled it out as a purchase.

Gordon, if my comments are unfair to MMP then sorry. Like you I wanted TGD plus another title of theirs but was faced with a price of £350. Perhaps I'm just getting annoyed that some of the games I particularly want are asking very high prices. The Grognard Simulation games on Waterloo are another case in point.
There's still good value to be had out there from other publishers and for less popular periods and themes. Each to their own: a good friend of mine enthusiastically buys red Bordeaux at around £50 a bottle whereas I won't spend more than £7 on any wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Aldi's finest? You spoil us, Mr Ambassador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:

Aldi's finest? You spoil us, Mr Ambassador.

Yes, Aldi is my booze merchant of choice at the moment. An excellent store; their mushy peas at 15p a can are better than what the store next door is selling at 85p. The Grognard Simulations 100 Days package (4 games) comes in at a princely £505. I shall live without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought MMPs prices were fair, if anything underpriced in some cases. Expensive ? Yes, because in many cases they are large/monster sized games. Overpriced ? Not IMO.

Disclaimer: I am a US resident, so don't have to deal with the VAT/duty/overseas costs that the poster in question has to factor in for their final cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Expensive ? Yes, because in many cases they are large/monster sized games. Overpriced ? Not IMO.

I think that's pretty much it. The Greatest Day is expensive, absolutely. But it also has 16 countersheets and 6ish maps. If you want a game that monstrous, $250 seems about right. You're likely going to pay that much for that sort of game from anyone these days.

But if you don't really care for something that big, of course you won't want to pay that much. But MMP also has a number of smaller games priced in the $35 to $60 range if that's more your preferred price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Really? They are certainly higher than I would like but that applies to just about everything these days, and they are comparable with GMT.

They're really not, but to some extent it's an apples-to oranges comparison. MMP and GMT don't really do many games in the same style; really big games from GMT are fairly rare. I can think of a relatively small number of GMT titles with 6+ countersheets, for example, whereas MMP does this kind of package all the time. Their largest games, like TGD, are just way, way bigger than anything that GMT has ever done.

Take Kingdom of Heaven as a counterexample, though. This is the type and scale of game that GMT also does a lot of. At $80 retail it's maybe a little higher than what GMT would charge, but not by much and by no means beyond the pale. Another example, A Victory Lost, is well below the price I would expect from GMT.

So yeah, MMP's average price is likely higher than GMT's. But they have a lot of big packages dragging that value up, and when you look at games with similar quality and quantity of components, then they're in the same ballpark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all good and fair points and I concede I was wrong to single MMP and GS out. What I had failed to fully consider was the sheer scale of these monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo to you, sir. Internet retractions are as rare as knives at a Chinese buffet.

*Respect!*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Price list from the email that just arrived:

A Most Dangerous Time [$25]
Angola [$42]
A Victory Lost [$20]
April's Harvest [$17]
Action Pack #6 [$20]
Action Pack #9 [$19]
Action Pack #10 [$11]
Action Pack #11 [$14]
Action Pack #12 [$9]
ASL Journal #2 (reprint) [$28]
Best of Friends [$9]
Beyond The Rhine [$74]
Bloody Ridge (ziplock) [$11]
Breakthrough: Cambrai [$22]
Champion Hill [$17]
Day of Days [$66]
Decision at Elst [$36]
Guadalajara [$19]
In Their Quiet Fields [$18]
Karelia '44 [$24]
Kawaguchi's Gamble [$25]
King Philip's War [$25]
Korea: The Forgotten War [$50]
Leros [$22]
Lincoln's War [$44]
No Question of Surrender [$38]
Out of the Attic 2 [$11]
Rock of the Marne [$22]
Rivers to the Reich [$11]
Salerno [$24]
Special Ops #1 [$14]
Special Ops #2 [$14]
Special Ops #3 [$14]
Special Ops #6 [$18]
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu [$25]
Storm Over Stalingrad [$25]
The Greatest Day [$146]
The Kingdom of Heaven [$44]
The Mighty Endeavor (Exp) [$32]
Tide At Sunrise [$22]
Turning the Tide [$11]
Yom Kippur (ziplock) [$11]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got that too. Definitely some serious temptations!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
WHAT DO WE WANT?
badge
When do we want it"
mbmbmbmbmb
That is quite a list, I was hoping they might find a few copies of wrasslin' lying around. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Marty S wrote:
Expensive ? Yes, because in many cases they are large/monster sized games. Overpriced ? Not IMO.

I think that's pretty much it. The Greatest Day is expensive, absolutely. But it also has 16 countersheets and 6ish maps. If you want a game that monstrous, $250 seems about right. You're likely going to pay that much for that sort of game from anyone these days.

But if you don't really care for something that big, of course you won't want to pay that much. But MMP also has a number of smaller games priced in the $35 to $60 range if that's more your preferred price point.

Mostly agree. Trying to get a handle on "overpriced" is difficult both because it is subjective and also trying to be sure you are comparing games with similar component size.

For example, Atlanta is Ours is a $105 preorder and full price $140 with three counter sheets and 2 maps. To fairly compare it you need something roughly in the same size envelope.

The Consim Games version of The Russian Campaign has the same parameters (3 countersheets 2 maps) and preorders for $42 and full prices at $60.

A closer pricing comparison here is actually Dan Holte's Sicily game coming from GMT. Preorder price $82 and full price $105 for 5 countershafts and 4 maps. Their Gallipoli game is similarly large and $69 preorder and $105 full price.

So on the surface it does look like MMP is charging a goodly higher price for their product. But, there are other factors to consider here.

One is that GMT does bigger print runs than MMP (due to higher sales numbers) and as a result they get better per unit pricing. They also are very aggressive at "gang printing" like components together again to hold costs down. These advantages flow over to Consim Press because of their production and sales relationship with GMT.

So, to me at least game pricing so long as the difference is not ridiculous is not an issue so long as the game is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
patton1138 wrote:
Marty S wrote:

Mostly agree. Trying to get a handle on "overpriced" is difficult both because it is subjective and also trying to be sure you are comparing games with similar component size.

For example, Atlanta is Ours is a $105 preorder and full price $140 with three counter sheets and 2 maps. To fairly compare it you need something roughly in the same size envelope.

Besides the other factors you cite, my understanding is AiO has a ton of scenarios and other printed material. A 100 page full color scenario/study guide.

Joelist wrote:

So on the surface it does look like MMP is charging a goodly higher price for their product. But, there are other factors to consider here.

One is that GMT does bigger print runs than MMP (due to higher sales numbers) and as a result they get better per unit pricing. They also are very aggressive at "gang printing" like components together again to hold costs down. These advantages flow over to Consim Press because of their production and sales relationship with GMT.

You forgot one other big cost difference - GMT prints overseas whereas all MMP stuff is printed in the US. MMP does actually gang print components as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.