Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few ideas for variants. They are not tested by me, just ideas.
As the designer seem to be quite active her, maybe he can comment if this wil work or not ...

1) Mountains rule adjustement 1
Addditional rule (existing mountain rules are all still valid): All drivers get -1 on their speed while on mountain.

Reason: more realistic, and also the rouleur will have thus an advantage over the sprinter on the mountains, be able to shake him off, which is realistic and will add sth. to the flair and strategy of the game.

2) Mountains rule adjustement 2
Create different mountains and downhills, just change the number (max/min speed) to 4 or 6 instead of always 5.

3) Use the characters from the grand Tour Expansion also for single races.
Only the Sheriff's abilty needs to be replaced (maybe give him Tahskent's or Chrono's instead)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
...also the rouleur will have thus an advantage over the sprinter on the mountains, be able to shake him off, which is realistic and will add sth. to the flair and strategy of the game....

Why is that? They both have 5s.

Scratch that, I get it, because the Sprinteur has no 6s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always loved and endorsed house rules myself, so keep them coming I'm just happy the game inspires you enough to want to tweak it!

Thanks
Asger Granerud

Edit: The rouleur already has an advantage in the mountains. Making it larger is a possibility, but it is already fundamentally so in the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the different climbs/descends! (Rule 2)

Not sure mountains need to be adjusted in addition (Rule 1). If you try it, the penalty should probably only be applied if you begin the move on a mountain space (otherwise the rule may get too messy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4) A variant I would love to try is to allow the playing of one card (except exhaustion cards) face down as a +/-1 for each move (see Mage Knight). Would probably be used most of the time for those 2 cards.

+ would make the race more exhausting overall, as it limits points further
+ would mitigate further the luck of the draw, but at a cost
+ would allow for a more strategic play, for those special cases where you need it
+ thematically it models the extra push that riders need to give at times

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that someone else has opened P's box, I'd like to chime in. coolninja

We we yesterday thinking about new tiles, a four broad start tile, some one lane tiles, tiles with tail or head wind, tiles with speed limits due to bad road surface.

And rules for mass crashs, when drivers can not move on a space due to already two drivers being present. Lay down the drivers and let them start next round with just two energy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
4) A variant I would love to try is to allow the playing of one card (except exhaustion cards) face down as a +/-1 for each move (see Mage Knight). Would probably be used most of the time for those 2 cards.

+ would allow for a more strategic play, for those special cases where you need it

Comments?

I don't think anybody would use them. Cards are tight, using a (non- exhaustion) card to drive maybe 2-3 additional spaces (with slipstreaming) might very well leave you without any cards at all near the end of the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Comments?

I don't think anybody would use them. Cards are tight, using a (non- exhaustion) card to drive maybe 2-3 additional spaces (with slipstreaming) might very well leave you without any cards at all near the end of the race.

That's the cost, for sure. However a) I often finish the race with a couple 2 cards I haven't used, and b) there are blocking cases or slipstreaming cases where you really break even and thwart your opponents while doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Now that someone else has opened P's box, I'd like to chime in. coolninja

We we yesterday thinking about new tiles, a four broad start tile, some one lane tiles, tiles with tail or head wind, tiles with speed limits due to bad road surface.

I think this is where I'd like to see the most changes. The fact that the tiles are all the same width, and the corners don't change anything to me represent the only real flaw to the game.*

To me, the appeal is to be able to play a Grand Tour - linking several plays together to make a campaign style event. Making the stages as different as possible would be amazing. I also like the idea from earlier of making some mountains lesser climbs (limit to 6) and some HC climbs (limit to 4).

*Disclaimer - I'm yet to play but am massively keen to!

Quote:
And rules for mass crashs, when drivers can not move on a space due to already two drivers being present. Lay down the drivers and let them start next round with just two energy?

I'm not sure about crashes. I think there may be a place for them, but I feel that this needs more thought than just adjusting the track. As long as you know what's coming you can adjust your plan to account for the terrain. However, with crashes you may be taken out by no bad play of your own, and I always dislike games where you can be hit like that.
Though if you and your group like that, I'd like to see what you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandals wrote:
The fact that the tiles are all the same width, and the corners don't change anything to me represent the only real flaw to the game.*

This was my first impulse too, but i let myself be convinced by the fact that cornes have no influence in street races (because of the distance travelled, which makes corners insignificant). After playing the game, i have no issue with them anymore. I would like more varied terrain, but i think there is a good chance we might get that...

Sandals wrote:
To me, the appeal is to be able to play a Grand Tour - linking several plays together to make a campaign style event. Making the stages as different as possible would be amazing. I also like the idea from earlier of making some mountains lesser climbs (limit to 6) and some HC climbs (limit to 4).

I am looking forward to driving my first Grand Tour this weekend too. Again, don't judge too early, there IS a big difference in how the tracks feel due to the number and length of the mountains.
I also like the idea of having steeper or lesser climbs (which you can already do; just put a die showing maybe 3-6 near each climb), but i would recommend to first play some games with the normal "5" climbs. As they are, the tracks are fine-tuned in a way that you should (unless you make too many mistakes or everybody races against you) just not run out of cards. Changing the numbers might influence this balance.

Sandals wrote:
I'm not sure about crashes. I think there may be a place for them, but I feel that this needs more thought than just adjusting the track. As long as you know what's coming you can adjust your plan to account for the terrain. However, with crashes you may be taken out by no bad play of your own, and I always dislike games where you can be hit like that.

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I am looking forward to driving my first Grand Tour this weekend too.

30 Geek Gold for writing a session report afterwards

Happy racing
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Malaschitz
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More variant ideas:

5) For two player game play with 4 riders. Fro three players with 3 riders.

6) Big version of Flame Rouge:
- more riders (16-20) in game (possible to play with 10 players)
- track is wider (4 fields, maybe 5 for first part)
- corners are narrow (3 fields and 2 fields for sharp corner)
- maybe a little bit longer track ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean luc BERNARD
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi !
Some ideas for the game :
Changing climb and descent rate :
Put a red or blue dice over climb or descent icon near the track, displaying the number you want, before each game.
Use this method for meteo rules below...
(climb >> 3 or 4 over 5, descent 4 or 6 over 5.

[EDIT]METEO :
Before each game, roll D6 to get meteo :
1 Storm : On each final phase all exhausted riders take an extra exhaust card (2 = total). descents are changed :6 becomes a limit like climb does for 5 but slipstream applies, and 3 is a minimum.
2 rain : descents are changed : 6 becomes a limit like climb does for 5 but slipstream applies, and 3 is a minimum.
3 clear : no change
4 clear : no change
5 warm sun : Climb tiles are changed 4 for 5.Descent becomes 6 as minimum.
6 heat wave : On each final phase all sprinters on a climb case take an extra exhaust card (added to another one if exhausted). Straight climb tiles are changed 4 for 5. Corner turn climb tiles (90°)are changed 3 for 5.

METEO CHANGES :
When a first rider comes in the eleventh tile (place a marker near it in the beginning of the game to remember), reroll a dice to change meteo. Make all changes on tiles if so for climb and descent icons.

At your own risk :

A player may decide to apply :
A) The full move from his card in descent when METEO is "Storm" or "Rain" nor the limit applied by the rule above (lines 1 and 2).
B) 2 extra spaces for his move in descent when METEO is "clear" to "heat wave" (lines 3 to 6)OR when Meteo rules are not applied.
If so, he rolls a D6. On 4+ it's ok .
On 1,2,3 the rider is removed temporarily and it is moved at the end of the last group after the final phase made on others riders, taking an exhaust card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the suggestions above, but just a note: the descent quantity is a minimum, not a limit.
This kinda makes your last idea a little hard to understand, though I like where the idea is headed.

Maybe replace it with "may move an extra space" instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean luc BERNARD
France
flag msg tools
mb
Yes you're right...sorry and Thank You !
New rule changes on EDIT above....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paquay Maxime
msg tools
I like the weather variant. It can be very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mountain adjustments to 4 and 6 can be as simple as some punchboard tokens (in a possible expansion).
Some additional -1 tokens can be put next to them, for example: a very steep mountain of 3 would make exhaustion cards too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.