BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Lords of Vegas or Las Vegas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Moffett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The subject thread pretty much says it all...

I'll add that both sound good because they are in the time range that I love (30-60 min), they both involve dice (I dig roll for the galaxy and Kingsburg) and they both are a little bit of press your luck. Also, it's hard to choose because lords of Vegas seems a little more strategic and involved while Las Vegas seems very easy to learn and play (also, I like other rudiger dorn games like Karuba and Istanbul).

These games are both very appropriate for the people that I traditionally game with but for different reasons. Approachable games get played more frequently (like King of Tokyo or splendor) but I also love meatier games with some of the more strategic evenings (like Agricola or Concordia).

Anyway, any and all advice concerning these games or the subject matter in general is greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Las Vegas is a winner.

My analysis:

A review written by Uncle Guido, a legitimate businessman participating in the Witness Relocation Program
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me Las Vegas is a filler, while Lords of Vegas is a light but strategic game.

Las Vegas has limited decision making and is very luck driven.

Lords of Vegas has some luck with the dice, but there is a lot more to it in terms of where to buy, should you expand into a card that hasn't come up yet, when do I merge, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas. Without question without doubt. Las Vegas is a good but normal dice game. Lords is a fantastic luck filled but filling and fantastic board game. Luck plays a big role BUT IT'S VEGAS. THAT'S THE POINT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S I also love Kingsburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegas Showdown!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lords of Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:

The clear winner of games named Vegas.

Las and Lords of are completely different, so play Showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Bruiser419 wrote:
To me Las Vegas is a filler, while Lords of Vegas is a light but strategic game.

Lords of Vegas has some luck with the dice, but there is a lot more to it in terms of where to buy, should you expand into a card that hasn't come up yet, when do I merge, etc...

Sounds right to me. Lords of Vegas is one of my favorite games but I'm still considering getting Las Vegas also. Other than having Vegas in the name and dice they seem like VERY different games.

Edit: I'll add that Lords of Vegas is really more like a 60 - 90 minute game. Shut Up & Sit Down did a comparison video review of the two games in question (and also Roll For It!) that you might want to look up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:

Thumbs up for Vegas Showdown mention.

But the winner for me is Lords of Vegas. Arguably my favorite game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Las Vegas.
I will also +1 on Vegas Showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

thumbsup

Las Vegas is indeed a nice filler game. If you are looking for a longer game with more depth but still relatively easy rules, go with Lords of Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.