Subject: Which of Mark SImonitch's games is the most accessible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm looking to jump into one of Mark Simonitch's operational wargames. Between Normandy '44, Ardennes '44, Ukraine '43 (or other)which one would you recommend as a good starting point, and why?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
bjhenderson wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking to jump into one of Mark Simonitch's operational wargames. Between Normandy '44, Ardennes '44, Ukraine '43 (or other)which one would you recommend as a good starting point, and why?

Thanks in advance.

Unless you have a preference for Eastern Front, France '40 is a bit lighter and smaller than Ukraine '43. It was a good start for me. Haven't played the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played France '40, Normandy '44, and the Caucasus Campaign.

I would agree with Juan that France '40 or Ukraine '43 are the best places to start (just from having looked at the rules, Ukraine seems the same level complexity-wise as France '40). France '40 is out of print though, while Ukraine '43 is not. The Caucasus Campaign is not too hard either but also out of print.

Normandy and Ardennes '44 are a step up on the complexity ladder but they have more interesting terrain than the relatively open/clear maps of France and Ukraine.

I think you will like these though. The Simonitch '4x series is a very elegant operational system once you get everything nailed down and the rules are similar from game to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. Given its availability, Ukraine '43 looks like the best starting point at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly from game play perspective N'44 would be my choice. I didn't find France'40 to be very interesting.

Ukraine'43 is an excellent game. Beginner difficulty isn't about rules but more in the strategy. Both sides are difficult to play well from strategy standpoint and will be more so never having played a Simonitch game.

Take your time and play around with it to learn it. Play it several times to figure out strategy. In the end you can't really go wrong with any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second (or third) Normandy '44.

Though I'd rate France as the easiest of the non-Ukraine games Normandy '44 is a beautiful game even if it's slightly more complicated. I thought Ukraine would become my favourite but it didn't some how. I find myself getting analysis paralysis playing Ukraine. There are too many options. I wish it had chit pull for solo. In N'44 objectives are clearer and it's a lot easier to play solo. That invasion turn really drags you in to the action.

I also prefer the Battalion/Regiment level. It tells a bit more story.

I have Normandy '44, France '40, Ardennes '44, Caucasus and Ukraine '43.

Keep an eye out for Holland '44 in the coming year!!!

I'd advise you get them all. Once you're into one, the rest are very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat cristy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'd forth - Normandy 44. I have Ukraine 43 and Ardennes 44. Looking to pick up France 40, Caucasus Campaign and Manstein's Backhand Blow (different system). Have the Marked Garden game on P500. I think the system is great. Kind of partial to Bulge and Normandy campaigns but trying to find time for Ukraine 43 on the table.

Mark's a brilliant designer and artist. I have many of his games. Great guy too, met him at the 2015 Comsim Expo.

I'd suggest you pick a campaign that most interests you. Once you learn the system, the others will be easy to pick up. You will not be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for your input.

On a related note, how do Mark Simonitch's games compare in terms of complexity / depth to the Gamers' OCS and SCS games? My guess is that they fall somewhere in between SCS and OCS. Is this a fair assessment? I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhenderson wrote:
Thanks again for your input.

On a related note, how do Mark Simonitch's games compare in terms of complexity / depth to the Gamers' OCS and SCS games? My guess is that they fall somewhere in between SCS and OCS. Is this a fair assessment? I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

My opinion is entirely biased because I do not like OCS and SCS much at all and I love Mark's designs. From level of complexity probably closer to OCS. But since you aren't moving supplies, trucks and planes across the map Mark's games fall in the less complex than OCS category. However, though less complex, I would argue Mark's games actually have more depth than OCS. Mark's games blow SCS out of the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.