$20.00
$5.00
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have yet to pull the trigger on the board game... so decided to risk $4 and install the iPad app to get a feel for what TWoM is all about... I love the game, it is compelling and immersive. I am enjoying the character development, exploring, encounters as well as figuring out how to and when to build items.

That being said, what is the board game going to give me that the iPad game will not?

Will the city exploring be as immersive in the board game as it is in the computer game?

Will the board game be more like the "book" and the video game the "movie"?

Could the board game be more immersive than the video game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is ironic, since the board game is based on the videogame...

Who knows? No videogame converts 100% as it is from its digital form into a board game, so yeah maybe you should wait for the board game?

In terms of immersion... well rarely a board game gets the same kind of immersion a game would get. In this case i doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, I would rather sit around a boardgame with other players than share an Ipad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more excited about the board game. The video game I played but didn't like the time aspect of it. I wanted to be able to think about my moves but time seemed to fly by. I always thought the time should only start when your characters were doing stuff and stop when standing there. With the board game I can take my time and talk choices over with others players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hellström
Sweden
Kalmar
Sverige
flag msg tools
I agree with James. This game will look impressive on the table. Even that it looks very good in the computer, it will not be as impressive as the board game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the video game till about day 30. Although the vg transports the needs and moods of the characters quite well there aren't much background stories told and only a few decisions have to be made, respectively these decisions are made in a blink of an eye, because of time pressure or obviousness.

The boardgame will have more than 1000 snippets of background stories and you have the time to think and discuss every decision with your game group and thus share the depressing, yet thrilling experience constantly.

I'm very looking forward to the boardgame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Respect the Beard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the game. After I finished it, I kept talking to people about it nonstop for a week. My wife loved the idea, but didn't get to play it. Other friends got impressed with the stories and tried the game. In the end, whoever tried it experienced it alone. Now, I hope the board game will bring those heartbreaking moments to the table, to be lived by all together. It'll be quite an experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that the boardgame is more of a cooperative experience. Apart from the charm of "touching" the game components, player interaction adds a complete new dimension to the experience. You can't play TWoM videogame in multiplayer mode, can you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
Don't forget that the boardgame is more of a cooperative experience. Apart from the charm of "touching" the game components, player interaction adds a complete new dimension to the experience. You can't play TWoM videogame in multiplayer mode, can you?

Have the rules been released? We really don't know what decision making we'll have cooperatively until we get to read the rules.

I like the idea that we can face a moral decision in an encounter, discuss it and get to know our friends better with the choices they make, but that only works if they really immerse themselves in the game. If even one player doesn't, the experience can become mechanical. And boardgames are notorious for being more mechanically minded than immersive setting.

I enjoy the app very much because I can get immersed in it and don't have to rely on someone else. They also just released an expansion for the app.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played Freedom: Underground Railroad, I can attest to the fact that I have lost plenty of times because I took the more humane route, rather than the coldly calculative one. Still can't bring myself to sacrifice a slave for the good of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Having played Freedom: Underground Railroad, I can attest to the fact that I have lost plenty of times because I took the more humane route, rather than the coldly calculative one. Still can't bring myself to sacrifice a slave for the good of others.

But what happens when you play with others who play it mechanically? Or are you talking about solo play. Which the WoM app does wonderfully.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm worried that the inventory management in the boardgame is going to be extremely tedious and fiddly. It's already tedious in the videogame, so I can only imagine having to deal with hundreds of bits and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
But what happens when you play with others who play it mechanically?

This was actually my problem with the video game after my first playthrough. At the beginning I was impressed and drawn in by all the morale choices and decisions in difficult situations. But this soon wore off and the game just became a practice of time and resource management with mostly the same routine day by day.

The first days at the beginning of a new playthrough were always a bit troublesome but after being set up I always got to a point where I knew I didn't had to do or risk much to get through the time since the war ended.

This finally kept me from backing the game. So yes, for me the app killed the boardgame for now. I still believe that it is possible that the boardgame offers a different and much more immersive experience everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
Jorune wrote:
But what happens when you play with others who play it mechanically?

This was actually my problem with the video game after my first playthrough. At the beginning I was impressed and drawn in by all the morale choices and decisions in difficult situations. But this soon wore off and the game just became a practice of time and resource management with mostly the same routine day by day.

The first days at the beginning of a new playthrough were always a bit troublesome but after being set up I always got to a point where I knew I didn't had to do or risk much to get through the time since the war ended.

This finally kept me from backing the game. So yes, for me the app killed the boardgame for now. I still believe that it is possible that the boardgame offers a different and much more immersive experience everytime.

The boardgame follows the settings of the video game almost 100%, but how it plays is completely different.

For a start, you don't get the full list of furniture. Each round, you draw a number of furniture cards based on number of survivors, then choose one and keep. This represents the characters discussing ideas on which furniture to build. You can only build the furniture if you have the card(s) in your inventory.

This means that each time you play, you start off differently. Different starting furniture, different characters, different places to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaprobot wrote:
Personally I'm worried that the inventory management in the boardgame is going to be extremely tedious and fiddly. It's already tedious in the videogame, so I can only imagine having to deal with hundreds of bits and cards.

This is an unavoidable fact for boardgames with inventories. I think the video game's inventory is actually fairly decent. From the demo videos, I can tell there's A TON of items that players have to manage, not to mention the exploration phase where you have to keep track of the inventory space.

I guess this is the sort of things that players have to deal with. It's up to them how messy or how tidy they want it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misfiring wrote:
Zaprobot wrote:

This is an unavoidable fact for boardgames with inventories. I think the video game's inventory is actually fairly decent. From the demo videos, I can tell there's A TON of items that players have to manage, not to mention the exploration phase where you have to keep track of the inventory space.

I guess this is the sort of things that players have to deal with. It's up to them how messy or how tidy they want it to be.

I recommend assortment boxes. At the moment I use them for storage only, but I can imagine that they could also help immensely in providing a clear overview of the inventory for TWoM BG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Andrei
Romania
Constanta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The board game is totaly different than the video game. You have a lot more options for actions on the board game. And more there are a lot more expansions on the board game than are on the video game. In the video game you can only go scavage with a single character, on the board game you can chose as many as you want. I have finished the video game only once, it s a great game but i don t think i would play it again. But the board game has much more replayability. The save game mechanics is great and also the incidents expansion is something new you don t got on the video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei123 wrote:
The board game is totaly different than the video game. You have a lot more options for actions on the board game. And more there are a lot more expansions on the board game than are on the video game. In the video game you can only go scavage with a single character, on the board game you can chose as many as you want. I have finished the video game only once, it s a great game but i don t think i would play it again. But the board game has much more replayability. The save game mechanics is great and also the incidents expansion is something new you don t got on the video game.

You can choose up to 3 characters in a single exploration phase. Still, you don't normally use all 3 as you only start with 3 characters and you need people to guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.