$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Miner's Hat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I don't get it:
"Once per adventure, when drawing loot, you may take 1 corruption hit to discard and redraw a loot card"
$1,850

Can I get a roll call of anyone who has bought this item? I don't get it, how many adventures till you hit the break-even?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could break even even on your first loot draw if lucky.
i havent used it, but look at how loot is distributed; you have 1 chance to get an artifact, 2 chances to get gear and 9 chances to get darkstone/gold with about 1-3 darkstone or 25-250 gold.
gear are easily worth 300 or more while artifacts can go higher to 400-800 (except for a few items) and are more important in improving your defenses/fighting chances in battle.

giving you a better chance to draw gear/artifacts or more gold/darkstone is definitely valuable
from a value point of view it could take 3-5 adventures to break even, but if you are lucky to draw the gear/artifact that is in line with your character then even the first draw could be worth your while.
if you play a full campaign you will likely go through 30+ adventures so there's plenty of chance to get more than enough value out of it, even if you buy it mid-campaign.
it all depends how many adventures you plan to play through
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually in the market for a new hat ;-). Is this a town item?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most "Gear" we draw are side-bag tokens. cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
you could break even even on your first loot draw if lucky.
i havent used it, but look at how loot is distributed; you have 1 chance to get an artifact, 2 chances to get gear and 9 chances to get darkstone/gold with about 1-3 darkstone or 25-250 gold.
gear are easily worth 300 or more while artifacts can go higher to 400-800 (except for a few items) and are more important in improving your defenses/fighting chances in battle.

giving you a better chance to draw gear/artifacts or more gold/darkstone is definitely valuable
from a value point of view it could take 3-5 adventures to break even, but if you are lucky to draw the gear/artifact that is in line with your character then even the first draw could be worth your while.
if you play a full campaign you will likely go through 30+ adventures so there's plenty of chance to get more than enough value out of it, even if you buy it mid-campaign.
it all depends how many adventures you plan to play through


I guess it might have some value if you are playing a cutthroat campaign and everyone is competing for the draw otherwise for a posse of 3 you're getting something on the order of 15 draws per adventure normally and this gives you 16 drop 1. I guess there is the off chance that you'll use it to negate the $50 card and draw an artifact/gear card and not get something like bandages. I would think the average rate of return would be around $100 (maybe $200) per adventure since you can only use it once per adventure, seems like on average a dozen missions to pay for itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
lieberoth wrote:
I'm actually in the market for a new hat ;-). Is this a town item?



Yes it is, there are some great hats to be had in the Frontier Town. I have the ally pack and recently pulled the Followers Hat that gives you +1 damage to anyone with a higher initiative and gives you a -1 init. So my Cowboy puts it on and gets +1 damage against anything with an init over 2. That's pretty sweet since he can use his ranged and base(3) combat in the same turn for 1 grit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Yes it is, there are some great hats to be had in the Frontier Town. I have the ally pack and recently pulled the Followers Hat that gives you +1 damage to anyone with a higher initiative and gives you a -1 init. So my Cowboy puts it on and gets +1 damage against anything with an init over 2. That's pretty sweet since he can use his ranged and base(3) combat in the same turn for 1 grit.


Especially when you're a cowboy and thus a mean lean grit machine
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty good Hat.

Since everyone draws loot at once, you can see plainly see what's still left in the deck and maximize your gains. There are plenty of things in the Gear/Artifact decks that are close in terms of sell value. You can stack with a mining pick to pull for extra Dark Stone to sell (which is also thematically congruous). Plus, a Prospector gets double gold from loot so it's better for her than the others.

It has a socket too - throw a Rune of Fortitude in there and ignore the Corruption Hit every time. Now you've got +Money forever, for no cost except the Anvil (buy a Mule) and having to remember to switch your Hats in the last Turn of a Fight.

I see you making your money back in 3-4 Adventures if you're smart about it.

- Jee
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I guess if you're pulling enough cards(like 2 or 3 each which for some reason doesn't happen as often for me as it should). Normally our posse of 3 are just pulling the three cards for most encounters. Then of course you figure that it takes up one anvil, but on the flip side we now have ways of increasing our carry capacity so you could keep it on the mule until you need it. Also I am forgetting that some of the hats are 10,000. so maybe it's about right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
njep wrote:
(like 2 or 3 each which for some reason doesn't happen as often for me as it should)


The base games came with cards that spawned other cards. The Void pack has some of those as well, but really not a lot. If you have been adding a lot of threat cards, then the multi-pull card density has been greatly lowered, reducing treasure pulls at the same time.

I've wanted to create more of these cards (e.g. high pulling two mediums, medium pulling two lows), but I just don't have the skills to make them. I think it would also be cool to make some thematic groupings that aren't present: Scafford gang spawning with the Dark Stone Brutes (same gang, different packs, no crossover cards), Undead Gunslingers with regular hungry dead, Tredarran raiders with support (maybe a Z4?), Trun Hunters and... anything (interrupted them hunting). And similar cards that don't already exist in the Otherworlds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the thematic groups. But on the other hand, we manage that just fine by either making thematic decks for each adventure (I pseudo-GM in such situations) or just picking the second enemy type to fit the first one.

(sorry, subject creep)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Otkjær
msg tools
Inspector Jee wrote:
This is a pretty good Hat.

Since everyone draws loot at once, you can see plainly see what's still left in the deck and maximize your gains. There are plenty of things in the Gear/Artifact decks that are close in terms of sell value. You can stack with a mining pick to pull for extra Dark Stone to sell (which is also thematically congruous). Plus, a Prospector gets double gold from loot so it's better for her than the others.
- Jee


Wait, what?

We've been playing that all wrong I guess.

I'm currently playing a swindling bandido on our groups first campaign run.
When distributing loot, we've been giving each character their loot cards in turn and returned them to the deck.
I've been given mine once at a time, and decided then and there, wether to keep or discard, before seeing the next card.

Are you saying I get to see all 4-12 loot draws before deciding which, if any of my own loot draws I want to re-draw?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
FantasticMoose wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:
This is a pretty good Hat.

Since everyone draws loot at once, you can see plainly see what's still left in the deck and maximize your gains. There are plenty of things in the Gear/Artifact decks that are close in terms of sell value. You can stack with a mining pick to pull for extra Dark Stone to sell (which is also thematically congruous). Plus, a Prospector gets double gold from loot so it's better for her than the others.
- Jee


Wait, what?

We've been playing that all wrong I guess.

I'm currently playing a swindling bandido on our groups first campaign run.
When distributing loot, we've been giving each character their loot cards in turn and returned them to the deck.
I've been given mine once at a time, and decided then and there, wether to keep or discard, before seeing the next card.

Are you saying I get to see all 4-12 loot draws before deciding which, if any of my own loot draws I want to re-draw?


Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Otkjær
msg tools
Interesting.

Loot 12 seems to be the worst possible scenario for my swindler then?

Seeing as all 12 loot cards are in play, there's nothing to redraw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you get to reshuffle. But yeah, it's a much bigger pool.

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Otkjær
msg tools
Inspector Jee wrote:
Well you get to reshuffle. But yeah, it's a much bigger pool.

- Jee


But seeing as all 12 cards are in play wouldn't I be discarding a card to draw it again?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FantasticMoose wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:
Well you get to reshuffle. But yeah, it's a much bigger pool.

- Jee


But seeing as all 12 cards are in play wouldn't I be discarding a card to draw it again?

Yes. The card you discarded would end up getting reshuffled back into the deck again. It's still better than being forced to accept something you don't want. And this is only the case if the loot deck is maxed out. I combine 2 loot decks together to avoid situations like this - it does change the statistics of Feast/Famine in the immediate draw, but in the long run it evens out to the same distribution as a single deck.

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.