Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Wotruba
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
**Fair warning, minor spoilers ahead regarding villains up to and including game 6**

Anyway, my wife and I were playing through game six the other night. We had 3 villains out. One was Barty Crouch Jr. and the other two don't really matter, other than the reward they give when defeated.

Barty's ability prevents Heroes from removing any villain control tokens from the location.

My question is this - We defeated a villain whose reward was to remove a token from the location. Would we have been able to do that given Barty's ability? My feeble argument was that it wasn't the Heroes removing the token, it was the absence of a villain at that location.

We ultimately chose not to, but it has been nagging at me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. This is one of several cases where one villain's ability might block another's reward. Like when a reward would have everyone draw a card, but the Basilisk is out.

Barty Crouch Jr. always takes top priority for us when he appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Wotruba
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, admittedly that does make the most sense. Thanks for crushing my last glimmer of hope .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
When my wife and I ran into this issue, we decided that villain rewards do not count as a Hero removing control. It may be getting into the wording too much but to us "hero removing" means using one of their deck cards or abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChewyTKE609 wrote:
**Fair warning, minor spoilers ahead regarding villains up to and including game 6**

Anyway, my wife and I were playing through game six the other night. We had 3 villains out. One was Barty Crouch Jr. and the other two don't really matter, other than the reward they give when defeated.

Barty's ability prevents Heroes from removing any villain control tokens from the location.

My question is this - We defeated a villain whose reward was to remove a token from the location. Would we have been able to do that given Barty's ability? My feeble argument was that it wasn't the Heroes removing the token, it was the absence of a villain at that location.

We ultimately chose not to, but it has been nagging at me.

We played it the same way you did

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we could use an official ruling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenJazz wrote:
When my wife and I ran into this issue, we decided that villain rewards do not count as a Hero removing control. It may be getting into the wording too much but to us "hero removing" means using one of their deck cards or abilities.

The villain rewards about control tokens say "Remove X control token(s)." This is an imperative sentence, directing you (the hero) to remove X control tokens. Barry Crouch Jr's ability blocks heroes (you) from removing control tokens. So even when you over parse the wording, the intent is clear that Crouch prevents any removal of a control token.

Besides, why would there be just one instance of a villain ability working like this? The Basilisk and Greyback don't work this way, so why would Crouch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

If only there were another thread where this has already happened....

Barty vs Dementor (Year 3&4 spoilers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

If Barty is an active Villain, and the Heroes defeat another Villain who's reward includes removing CONTROL from the Location, you do NOT get to remove the CONTROL.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL/DR: Attack Marty First.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.