Caylus» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A close game of Caylus... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, MIke and I just finished a very close and tense game of Caylus.

It was our second game so we were both still trying to figure out the nuances of gameplay. I went into the game with a plan to get rich quick and to try to squeeze the other players out of cash by taking the denier-producing building (forgot the name) early and often.

As the game began, I got off to a slow start as I wasn't doing as much building as the other guys. Yes, I was significantly richer than the other guys, but I couldn't help but think my plan was faulty. THey both had achieved a huge lead over me in terms of prestige points.

Mike had a strategy of doing a lot of building; at the end of the game most of the buildings on the track were his. THis plan worked very well early on as he picked up at least a dozen prestige points via payouts from other players using his buildings. As for John, he lacked any sort of coherent strategy, as far as I could tell.

I slowly closed the gap with lots of builds in the castle and some help from the favor tracks. Things got very interesting towards the end when I built an architect with hopes of upgrading to a prestige building. My opponents assumed (correctly) that I was going for prestige, but as they made efforts to block me from doing so it hit me that I might as well continue to collect gold, but for the end game conversion rather than to build a blue tile. So I let them continue to think I was going for a prestige building but simply colelcted gold for the endgame.

Mike was getting some good points at the end buy trading in gold and clote for prestige, and I thought he would win. But when we finally scored the tower, my 5 gold pieces, and Mike's -4 since he didn't build any towers, won me the game. John ended up in second place after trading in his resources and deniers. Mike, the leader for most of the game, ended up in last place. In hindsight, I think his mistake was neglecting investing in castle improvements and favors. Instead, he concentrated on building, which helped early and mid game but left him hurting later on.

FInal score:

Brian - 73
John - 70
Mike - 68

After two games, all three of us are very impressed with Caylus. For a long time now I've wondered about that game since I never had a chance to play, but now I see why it is so highly rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. It's a great game. It's a wonder so many people take time out of their day to bash on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.