Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of The Loom board with its 24 different "Paths of Fate" (tho the rules just simply say "over twenty"), which poses new challenges and extends the replayability & life of the game. However, these combos got me wondering if there would be anything wrong or too unbalanced with switching up the matching areas on the Standard board as well! Out of the box there is just the one, hardcoded set of paths, but it seems natural that the paths could be switched (as long as the tiles remain consistent within the paths) to add an additional 5 different combinations on this board (for a total of 6). So, that's my not-terribly-wild variant idea. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guenter Cornett
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yes, that's right. It's possible to switch the colors of the standard board, too. The idea of the standard board is to give a fast setup, with no thinking about how to place the strings.

An unbalanced setup is a setup containing a very long path, which cannot easily be separated by weavers. So winnig this path means winning the game. This I intent to avoid. But of course, for more than 24+6 setups you're free to ignore all printed strings on the board and may generate any free setup of your personal taste.

JFYI:
In my first prototype the second board didn't had any strings marked on it, but this demand:

"If both players agree, you may place the connecting tiles completely different than the default setup as shown on the front side of the game board by using the rear side. You should know that the larger a region is, the more the game result will depend on control of this region."

This gave most freedom but also a little part of the game design job to the gamers. Because the loom board gives more than enough setups we passed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Guenter - first, thanks for this very interesting game. My son and I have enjoyed several plays already and I expect this to continue.

On the standard board, we both have found that there is already a relatively long Force string in the opposite quadrant from the game logo. This string can be joined to another one near the game logo, or not, but either way it's a pretty long string and we've found that the winner of the game is the one who controlled this string, every time.

I understand that it might be in 1 player's best interest to break the string with a Weft, but that relies on timing and also on one player knowing they've already lost the string (e.g. if both players are in contention for it, neither has an incentive to break it). What are your thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guenter Cornett
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
This can happen not only to the pathes with the Force Strings, but also e.g. to the pathes with the Leadership Strings close to the logo. The pathes can be connected but also easily separated, by the warp or the weft pieces. It would be unbalanced if separation wouldn't be easily possible (e.g. if the path is connected at several points).

Especially for the Force Strings it often happens, that the path is separated by a weft piece, because a weft becomes part of both now separated pathes (which are scored separately). So one weft piece often is worth two pieces, one in each of two pathes of Force Strings, while it doesn't count for pathes of Strength and Leadership Strings. These pathes are just separated.

So if you play the standard rules, it makes sense even in the early phase to place a weft into a path with Force Strings, while with Oracle Variant it may keept as a threating for more purposeful use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.