Subject: I think this undignified begging for gold is demeaning. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I should feel the love for my betters because then they might deign to toss a few kopeks at the gutter where I kneel humbly?

I feel I've made a positive contribution to this site (check my posts), so I'm pulling my own weight. That's enough.

I'd rather hold my head up proudly and go with no avatar, than grovel like a worm just to get the privilege to upload an image and add value to your site.

Rise up against the oppression of the rich! Follow my lead, I will be The Blank Professor. I will NEVER buy an avatar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Ummm, ok??? Thanks for sharing???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feld Fan, you magnificent bastard! Looks like you're over 7,000 posts and you still proudly wear NO AVATAR! Way to stick it to the man!

Viva la revolucion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

I should feel the love for my betters because then they might deign to toss a few kopeks at the gutter where I kneel humbly?

I feel I've made a positive contribution to this site (check my posts), so I'm pulling my own weight. That's enough.

I'd rather hold my head up proudly and go with no avatar, than grovel like a worm just to get the privilege to upload an image and add value to your site.

Rise up against the oppression of the rich! Follow my lead, I will be The Blank Professor. I will NEVER buy an avatar!

Rock on with yer big bad self!

Just remember most people who have avatars didn't beg to get the GG for them. Most people contributed to the site in different ways, the most common of which, and one of the most important, is through a financial contribution (that hardly qualifies anyone as being "rich."}

Lastly, having no avatar is your choice, and who really cares? If that's what floats your raft, then go for it.

But hey, I do like to have my avatars and bling...so I'll happily take that 16.50 GG you have no use for and use it to bling out my own avatar a bit more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
But hey, I do like to have my avatars and bling...so I'll happily take that 16.50 GG you have no use for and use it to bling out my own avatar a bit more!

I too would like to sign up for your money: where is the line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll bite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I got my avatar the old fashioned way.

I posted here.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also here:

No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I of course kid with my phony guerrilla rhetoric. Sorry, satire is tough online. I am glad that there are ways to get an avatar that actually support the site in various ways. No surprise that guys who study game rules for fun would figure out positive ways to get that kind of outcome!

Also, I did not realize I did have any gold of my own. I'm new to this site so I'm a little behind the curve here.

And thanks to Mad Hatter, I learned how to transfer some of my gold! Hatter, I just gave you 16.50 in gold.

And I "tipped" K.S. & Stephanie 5.00 gold each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
Ok, I'll bite.

I thought you meant you also wanted some gold. But I just discovered how to find out where my gold came from.

And now I realize you meant you were giving me 13.50 in gold which would bring me up to an even 30 so I could get an avatar! Thanks for the thought. But sorry, I just gave it all away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Please, B'rer Fox, don't give me GeekGold, whatever you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer, I tipped you 4.50. I would have given you 5.00 as well, but I only had 4.50 left in my account.

Also, sorry anyone below this reply, no more gold. I'm broke now too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
Also, sorry anyone below this reply, no more gold. I'm broke now too!

No, you're not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
mb
Haha this will be funny.
There was another thread a couple of months ago where someone wanted to get rid of all his geekgold and he only got more and more from other geeks....laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Greekgold left behind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
slprince wrote:
Ok, I'll bite.

I thought you meant you also wanted some gold. But I just discovered how to find out where my gold came from.

And now I realize you meant you were giving me 13.50 in gold which would bring me up to an even 30 so I could get an avatar! Thanks for the thought. But sorry, I just gave it all away.

Yes. I believed your proud declarations of Blankness to be nothing more than a desperate plea for geekgold. But it was not to be; you just frittered it all away.

You don't know how hard I worked for that geekgold! Days and nights of working my wit to the bone, typing amusing forum comments only to earn a measly 0.05 geekgold! And what do you do? You just cast your 13.50gg windfall aside like it was some kind of valueless virtual currency.

I'm going to go cry into my keyboard now. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great comment, it deserves 0.05gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
That was a great comment, it deserves 0.05gg

I knew this would happen. Why do you think I chose not to say 0.01gg? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, you can have the 13.50 back. I just tipped you 13.50. Of course, I also tipped you 5.00 before, so you're up on the deal. Now it's TheNameWasTaken's money I'm throwing around like a drunken sailor.

Hey, I think I'm running a Ponzi scheme now. I just have to solicit some more gold to pay TheNameWasTaken back with interest. Then to pay them back.... Move over, Madoff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I think this undignified begging for gold is demeaning.
I wept because I had no avatar, until I met a man who had no Geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the guide to get an avatar, and am now BGG's #2 contributor to folding@home. We were passed day before yesterday by a team called "Nerdgasm", and right this second something like 80% of Team BoardGameGeek's folding members are inactive.

This is an outrage! You guys oughta get folding and earn your GG and your avatars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea this existed -- signing up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain (plainly) what folding@home means?
I've heard it before. Heard the phrase "folding proteins" but what I've seen is a little over my head.

So I'd like to know:
a) How to participate
and
b) What is being accomplished
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie, I just joined, but here's what I've got:

Follow the link above, which will then direct you to Stanford. You'll sign up using the same username you have here on BGG and a group ID that ties you to the BGG group.

This will involve downloading some software that will use your processor to run some complex computations, which brings us to B:

The software communicates with Stanford's software which uses the computations you've run to help with important science things that I don't quite understand but I know end up as help with curing disease.

That's how I understand it at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got hundreds of Geekgold that I've saved over time. But I would give it all up... to have a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.