Hide
11 Posts

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » General

Subject: Is Heroscape terrain worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris nelson
msg tools
So I got Arena of the Planeswalkers because of it Heroscape roots. I've never played Heroscape, but always heard good things about it and I like Magic so I picked it up. I went to eBay bought a little terrain and I can already tell that this is a rabbit hole that I may not want to go down because I know I'll end up spending a fortune on terrain. So my question is does Heroscape terrain add enough to Planewalkers to justify getting a good amount or are the included boards enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! There are two ways to go about it.

Get a Rise of Valkyrie set, which is great because it has tons of terrain, but then you are going to want to get more Heroscape stuff, so don't do this. I started out just getting terrain for this game and now have an entire complete set of Heroscape stuff.

Buy some terrain, you don't need a huge amount, and call it good. May run you $50-$75 for more than you need. I would recommend some trees though, which are easily made from aquarium plants, plain Heroscape tiles, and hot glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no...

The greatest thing about Heroscape was also one of its greatest downfalls. All that terrain does look cool on the table and can add a lot of replayability to the game, but at the same time it is so friggin expensive and takes forever to set up.

Having played AotP on both the basic game boards that come with it as well as on some amazingly designed Heroscape boards, I can honestly say that while they look good, they don't have the same feel and don't add nearly as much to the game as they did to Heroscape. The game honestly plays better and is more fun without a lot of terrain. That may change as more and more stuff comes out and things start to make more use of terrain, but for now it is more of an aesthetic choice than anything else.

That said, it does add to the game in the end though. It might not be worth spending a fortune, but if you can find some tiles for cheap online or at a thrift store, it would be worth picking them up. If I didn't already own a couple sets of them, I think i would be very hard pressed to go out and spend a fortune to get some for it. I definitely wouldn't spend more than you paid for the game for some and as I mentioned before, you don't need a whole lot. Enough to change up the battlefield a little, but use the game board tiles as a base instead of getting a ton of tiles and making everything from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Toman
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
I would go to heroscapers.com and head over to the sales/trade thread. you will find anything you need there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them like mine whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think it adds a lot to the game (makes the board more interesting). Pictured here is 2 AOTP base sets and about half of the heroscape terrain that I own. I got my entire terrain collection for about $60 across a couple purchases on eBay.

One note, in my own personal experience, you should avoid building large structures even if you have the terrain available. It makes the game fairly unbalanced and difficult to traverse. Gives ranged characters crazy advantages.

- Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelsam wrote:
I think it adds a lot to the game (makes the board more interesting). Pictured here is 2 AOTP base sets and about half of the heroscape terrain that I own. I got my entire terrain collection for about $60 across a couple purchases on eBay.

One note, in my own personal experience, you should avoid building large structures even if you have the terrain available. It makes the game fairly unbalanced and difficult to traverse. Gives ranged characters crazy advantages.

- Sam

I agree, you are almost better with less flat terrain and more obstacles (Makes for a more interesting game, IMO)

Nice layout by the way just needs some trees. (I want to play!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say this as a lover of Heroscape terrain: It really depends on your current life.

I used to be a bachelor, unemployed, and I used to live in a house with a bachelor roommate who also liked Heroscape. And we never use the dining room or the big dinner table to eat meals. Guess what? Heroscape was awesome in that environment. We'd set up a massive vista on the table and leave it intact all month, because it's a work of art. Games can take all day. Setup and breakdown can take hours.

Now, I work full-time. Ppl I can play with also work full-time. Meaning, time available for play is limited. I also no longer have the luxury of leaving a board game on a table all month. Nowadays I need games that I can transport, setup, and play quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
We'd set up a massive vista on the table and leave it intact all month, because it's a work of art. ...Setup and breakdown can take hours.

--------------------------------------
Kelsam wrote:
...Pictured here is 2 AOTP base sets and about half of the heroscape terrain that I own. I got my entire terrain collection for about $60 across a couple purchases on eBay.

So now you have two different perspectives from opposite ends of the spectrum. You could buy a little terrain and have fun with it, or you could go full hog and spend a small fortune and have fun with it that way. So many possibilities.

I'd say you'll have fun either way and even buying just a little will add to your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelsam wrote:

- Sam

Fom where did you get these building structures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
Kelsam wrote:

- Sam

Fom where did you get these building structures?

As far as I can tell, all the components shown in that image come from either Arena of the Planeswalkers, or Heroscape. The base terrain layer is made up of several cardboard hex sheets from Arena of the Planeswalkers. AotP also contributes the standup cardboard walls. The remaining 3D hex tiles come from Heroscape: I see tiles from three different base sets: Rise of the Valkyrie, Marvel: The Conflict Begins, and Swarm of the Marro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.