United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fights in Progress:

Winner's Bracket Round 4 -- due December 30th

HUECTRUM (Clive, Rexan, Lesandra) vs Hierophant (Baenvier, Seth, Zaamassal)

Loser's Bracket Round 3 -- due December 30th

CancerousAnon (Endrbyt, Cadenza, Aria) vs Pantherbrujah (Clive, Kehrolyn, Rexan)

Loser's Bracket Round 3.5 -- due December 30th

chucklyfun (Vanaah, Karin, Lixis) vs DifferentPerson (Welsie, Vanaah, Kallistar)

Xenasis (Byron, Malandrax, Cherri) vs ?????

Links: Discord channel, BattleCON Spreadsheet system, tournament bracket

Completed Matches

Round 1

ShadowboundEclipse (Malandrax, Gerard, Jager) vs AdamSK (Adjenna, Seth, Rukyuk) (Round 0)
          Jager 5 < Seth 6 (overtime * 1), Gerard 0 < Seth 5 -- AdamSK wins!

AdamSK (Adjenna, Seth, Rukyuk) vs dinobottm2 (Sagas, Endrbyt, Cadenza)
          Rukyuk 5 > Cadenza 3 (timeout), Rukyuk17 > Sagas 6 (concession) -- AdamSK wins!

vairse (Marmelee, Runika, Kehrolyn) vs DifferentPerson (Welsie, Vanaah, Kallistar)
          Kehrolyn 12 > Kallistar -2, Kehrolyn -3 < Vanaah 13, Marmelee 0 < Vanaah 16 -- DifferentPerson wins!

Zorblag (Clive, Heketch, Mikhail) vs HUECTRUM (Clive, Rexan, Lesandra)
          Heketch 16 > Clive 3 (concession), Heketch -4 < Rexan 1, Clive -1 < Rexan 16 -- HUECTRUM wins!

ChaosFarseer (Kehrolyn, Khadath, Tatsumi) vs Utilael (Joal, Kehrolyn, Thessala)
          Kehrolyn 5 > Joal 0, Kehrolyn -2 < Kehrolyn 4, Tatsumi 7 < Kehrolyn 9 -- Utilael wins!

Sunset Bolt (Eligor, Aria, Kajia) vs Hierophant (Baenvier, Seth, Zaamassal)
          Eligor 3 > Seth 0, Eligor 0 < Zaamassal 16, Kajia 0 < Zaamassal 11 -- Hierophant wins!

chucklyfun (Vanaah, Karin, Lixis) vs tirankin (Gaspar, Random = Juto, Random = Clive)
          Vanaah 4 > Gaspar -1, Vanaah 9 > Juto -2 -- chucklyfun wins!

Pantherbrujah (Clive, Kehrolyn, Rexan) vs Xenasis (Byron, Malandrax, Cherri)
          Kehrolyn 1 > Cherri -1, Kehrolyn -5 < Malandrax 2, Rexan -2 < Malandrax 6 -- Xenasis wins!

CancerousAnon gets a bye for this round; see here for details.

Winner's Bracket Round 2

HUECTRUM (Clive, Rexan, Lesandra) vs AdamSK (Adjenna, Seth, Rukyuk)
          Rexan Petrified < Adjenna 1, Clive 10 > Adjenna 7 (concession), Clive 15 > Rukyuk 0 -- HUECTRUM wins!

Hierophant (Baenvier, Seth, Zaamassal) vs CancerousAnon (Endrbyt, Cadenza, Aria)
          Seth 9 > Cadenza 3, Seth 10 > Endrbyt 0 -- Hierophant wins!

Xenasis (Byron, Malandrax, Cherri) vs DifferentPerson (Welsie, Vanaah, Kallistar)
          Byron 3 > Kallistar -3, Byron3 > Vanaah -5 -- Xenasis wins!

Utilael (Joal, Kehrolyn, Thessala) vs chucklyfun (Vanaah, Karin, Lixis)
          (Forfeit by Utilael)

Loser's Bracket Round 2

dinobottm2 (Sagas, Endrbyt, Cadenza) vs Zorblag (Clive, Heketch, Mikhail)
          (Default to dinobottm2 due to time)

ChaosFarseer (Kehrolyn, Khadath, Tatsumi) vs ShadowboundEclipse (Malandrax, Gerard, Jager)
          (Default to ChaosFarseer due to time)

tirankin (Gaspar, Random = Clinhyde, Random = Jager) vs Sunset Bolt (Eligor, Aria, Kajia)
          Jager 4 > Eligor -4, Jager 0 < Kajia 5, Clinhyde 9 > Kajia -1 -- tirankin wins!

vairse (Marmelee, Runika, Kehrolyn) vs Pantherbrujah (Clive, Kehrolyn, Rexan)
          Marmelee 0 < Clive 15, Kehrolyn -1 < Clive 9 -- Pantherbrujah wins!

Loser's Bracket Round 2.5

Pantherbrujah gets a bye for this round.

DifferentPerson gets a bye for this round.

AdamSK (Adjenna, Seth, Rukyuk) vs tirankin (Gaspar, Random = Eligor, Random = Magdelina)
          Adjenna -5 < Magdelina 15, Rukyuk 5 > Magdelina 0, Rukyuk 6 < Eligor 8 (concession) -- tirankin wins!

CancerousAnon (Endrbyt, Cadenza, Aria) vs dinobottm2 (Sagas, Endrbyt, Cadenza)
          Cadenza 3 > Cadenza -1, Cadenza 15 > Endrbyt 12 (concession) -- CancerousAnon wins!

Winner's Bracket Round 3

HUECTRUM (Clive, Rexan, Lesandra) vs Xenasis (Byron, Malandrax, Cherri)
          Lesandra 6 > Cherri -5, Lesandra 12 > Malandrax -3 -- HUECTRUM wins!

Hierophant (Baenvier, Seth, Zaamassal) vs chucklyfun (Vanaah, Karin, Lixis)
          Seth 2 > Lixis 0, Seth 10 > Vanaah -3 -- Hierophant wins!

Loser's Bracket Round 3

tirankin (Gaspar, Random = Shekhtur, Random = Iri) vs DifferentPerson (Welsie, Vanaah, Kallistar)
          Gaspar 20 > Welsie 0, Gaspar -3 < Kallistar 10, Iri 0 < Kallistar 1 -- DifferentPerson wins!

With the current BattleCON Fight Club winding down, it's time to begin considering how to host an online tournament with published characters. I propose the following terms:

Character Selection: The usual roster of officially legal characters is available (54 + Borneo and Juto). In addition:
    * Arec is legal with mnmkami's suggested nerf of -1 Power on his non-Yellow Styles. (That is, his Power spread becomes 0/-1/-1/-1/0.)
    * Ottavia is legal, but using her alt-UA (available here). In addition to the obvious change of "Target Lock" to "Shooting to Kill" on her Finishers, and the change to Double Barrel listed in the UA, the printed stats of Extreme Prejudice are X/8/4.
    * Endrbyt is legal, since this tournament is long-form and a reference is available. You will still be constrained to only one card change between duels against the same opponent.
    * Voco may be played with his normal UA or his alternate UA (Everyone Together Now!, available here, because why the fuck not. You must declare your choice of his form at the beginning of the tournament, and it is fixed thereafter.
    * Kaitlyn is still banned because I can't figure out a good way to prevent her from warping the meta. Sorry Kaitlyn mains!
In total this means a 60 character roster, with no Kaitlyn and two copies of Voco. Each contestant will field a team of three distinct characters (including, I suppose, both Voco and alt-Voco if you really wanted to).

Match Format: You will be paired with an opponent. Each of you will simultaneously ban one character from the others' team, then select an unbanned character from your own team for your first duel. Play successive duels, with the loser switching the other unbanned character from his/her team, until one player is out of undefeated characters; the other player wins the match.

By default, duels will be played with the Force Timer and the Dodge Base (details below). You and your opponent may agree to use some other format. Disagreement about format is resolved in the following order of precedence: Force Timer > Force Gauge > Special Actions > Ante Finisher; Dodge > Dash.
Quote:
Force Timer is the new special-action-system introduced in Trials. It is based on the existing Force Gauge rules, except:
* No static match timer is provided. Instead, the game starts with a pool of 40 Force, from which players each draw their initial 2. Whenever players would gain Force, they draw that Force from the pool. If, when setting attack pairs, the Force pool is empty, the current beat will be the last one.
* Whenever players would gain Force past their normal limit of 10, the Force is still removed from the pool, but no Force gain is made past the cap. Whenever players would gain Force and the pool is empty, they gain the Force anyways.
* Force may no longer be ante'd for Soak, nor spent at EoB: for Pulse.

Dodge is like Dash, except that its Priority is 3, and the dodging movement is at Start of Beat: instead of After Activating:.

In the event of a tie in Life totals when a duel's timer runs out, you and your opponent shall play additional beats until there is a Life disparity during a Recycle step; then the fighter with more Life wins the duel.

If you attempt to play a card that you don't have in hand, your opponent chooses a replacement card from your hand.

Tournament Format: Double elimination, bracket maintained in challonge. Two weeks to finish each match (that is, 2 - 3 duels). In the event of a match going to IRL-time, it will be decided ad hoc in favor of the person who is making the better faith effort to meet the time limit, or whoever's winning at the time, in that order.

Duels may be played in any medium players agree on, though I recommend the spreadsheet system for a variety of reasons, including personal bias. If the medium you choose is forum threads, you'll have to find your own moderator. (Additional suggestions: Tabletop Simulator has a BattleCON module here. VASSAL supports BattleCON, but you’ll have to track down someone who holds the module for it (Phyr or Fenris).)

Duels played in this tournament will count for Organized Play points (10 pts per game + win bonus), unless Brad unveils a tournament point scheme, in which case we will immediately switch to using that. We will not be counting any bonus objectives, as the tournament will span multiple blocks (and possibly go past the end of the year?) and no one wants to chase those things while trying to win a tournament anyhow.

I tentatively plan to post first round matchups on Saturday, November 5rd.

How to Register: Send me a PM containing your character selection by Thursday, November 3th and your worldofindines.com PIN (account creation is free; PIN is available on the Profile page). In addition, join our Discord chat, as it’s the easiest way for me to contact everyone at once about tournament status. (And maybe include your username in your PM, if it’s not obviously correlated with your BGG name.)

I have issues with your proposed format: I am willing to entertain suggestions for changes to the above for the next 72 hours or until 8 people register, whichever happens second.

Serious Business BattleCON not your thing? Stay tuned for the next iteration of our Fight Club custom character tournament!

Small adjustment: I will also accept Random as a character choice (or even multiple character choices). I will reroll your Random slot prior to each best of 3, before bans occurs. They will be known by both you and your opponent. You will never have duplicates on your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rosander
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump in. I've never played in a BattleCon tournament before, but I just got TTS and want to do some of this organized play stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not convinced that Arec losing -1 power is enough of a nerf to him, but why not, let's play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Martinez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah sure, why not. Bryan got me here. I do enjoy this game and a tournament setting sounds fun. Let's go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, I should be almost free win territory, but being in a tournament sounded fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rosander
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to do anything about Larimore Burman's Dragonflare? I remember your comments here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlecon/comments/539cry/character...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No plans for it, since I don't have any vetted ideas. For some reason I recall someone suggesting that a Priority nerf would be sufficient? The real reason it's so annoying isn't the Power -- there are plenty of other instakill Finishers in the roster -- but that it swings at Priority 6.3, which not a lot of characters can field a response to. But I haven't actually seen a lot of support or testing for this, so I'm leaving it be for now.

Also, while I'm at it: Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/pvXtcKx. If you're not familiar with the spreadsheet system (the best* free way to play online BattleCON), ping me and I can give you a walkthrough before proper fighting gets under way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rosander
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on that thread, he's probably my highest priority ban right now. Most instakill attacks have terrible hit confirm and can be bursted out of too.

I'll probably take you up on that spreadsheet training tonight or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, 17 players? Really? Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhall right, let's do this. I'll be posting updates to the top post in this thread for ease of access and bookmarking, but the long-form talk is going to be at the end of this thread. A few things before we begin:

* If you haven't already, join the Discord channel and let me know you're there simply by pinging @rngesus.wept or @tankbard. (The former name always works. The latter name may not, depending on whether I have become particularly amused by a dumb joke when you try to find me.)
    * Familiarize yourself with the BattleCON Spreadsheet system. Doomburrito has cobbled together a presentation here, though it's rather out of date. I will generally be available in the evenings (EDT) to give guidance, but other members of the Discord channel can also help. You can, of course, play your game by any means your opponent agrees to, but this one has a bunch of advantages, including being free and having relatively responsive tech support available (that's me).
    * The tournament bracket is available at http://challonge.com/d367e3av.
    * I had originally prescribed a 2 week-per-round limit, but that gives us 5 rounds before the end of the year, which looks like it's going to be a little bit too slow. To speed things up, I will be poking people to start their matches as soon as they become available. You will have at least until the end of the next two week block to complete that match. For example, once you finish your first match, if it's already clear who your second opponent will be, I will notify both of you, and you will have until the end of the second two-week block to finish that match. This generally won't increase your time pressure, but it will allow us to move as aggressively as possible on our schedule.

Without further ado, the first round match-ups:

Zorblag (Clive, Heketch, Mikhail) vs HUECTRUM (Clive, Rexan, Lesandra)
  Pantherbrujah (Clive, Kehrolyn, Rexan) vs Xeniasis (Byron, Malandrax, Cherri)
  vairse (Marmelee, Runika, Kehrolyn) vs DifferentPerson (Welsie, Vanaah, Kallistar)
  Sunset Bolt (Eligor, Aria, Kajia) vs Hierophant (Baenvier, Seth, Zaamassal)
  Ness (Cadenza, Rexan, Kallistar) vs CancerousAnon (Endrbyt, Cadenza, Aria)
  ChaosFarseer (Kehrolyn, Khadath, Tatsumi) vs Utilael (Joal, Kehrolyn, Thessala)
  chucklyfun (Vanaah, Karin, Lixis) vs tirankin (Gaspar, Random = Juto, Random = Clive)
  ShadowboundEclipse (Malandrax, Gerard, Jager) vs AdamSK (Adjenna, Seth, Rukyuk); winner plays dinobottm2 (Sagas, Endrbyt, Cadenza)*

* That last set may be a little rushed as a result of having 17 players, but I know from experience AdamSK's a relatively responsive player, so I'm hoping for a good result. Please take care to stay in contact; I'll be willing to forgive some slowness outside the two-week block as compensation.

And because I know someone's counting: the most popular character is Kehrolyn (4 instances), with a three-way tie for second between Cadenza, Clive, and Rexan (3 instances each).

When you are ready, please send me your ban choice (and, if it's convenient, your first character choice with conditionals if you like). It will be faster if you do this through Discord, as it's easier for me to respond there on mobile than I will at BGG. And again, please ask if you need an introduction to spreadsheet matches.

You have roughly 13 + 14 * 24 = 349 hours. GLHF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two instances of: Malandrax, Vanaah, Kallistar, Aria, Endrbyt, Seth

Congrats to tirankin for being the only player with only unique choices - nobody else took Gaspar or Random. Every other player has at least one character also chosen by someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
I should have jumped in, maybe next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've hit the point in the tournament where new matches are available:

Winner's Bracket Round 2
      HUECTRUM (Clive, Rexan, Lesandra) vs AdamSK (Adjenna, Seth, Rukyuk)

Loser's Bracket Round 1
      dinobottm2 (Sagas, Endrbyt, Cadenza) vs Zorblag (Clive, Heketch, Mikhail)

Though you are being informed of these matches now, you have until the end of this block and the next to complete them, i.e. until December 2th. All the same, I (and probably your fellow contestants) would appreciate a faster resolution to a slower one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New matches:

Winner's Bracket Round 2
      Utilael (Joal, Kehrolyn, Thessala) vs chucklyfun (Vanaah, Karin, Lixis)

Loser's Bracket Round 0
      tirankin (Gaspar, Random = Clinhyde, Random = Jager) vs ShadowboundEclipse (Malandrax, Gerard, Jager)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ness has dropped out of the tournament, which we will resolve as follows:

CancerousAnon gets a bye into Round 2, facing Hierophant.
    tirankin will move to the Loser's Bracket slot Ness would have occupied, facing Sunset Bolt.
    ShadowboundEclipse get a bye for the odd-one-out Loser's Bracket match, and will face ChaosFarseer.

I believe this is fair to those involved. AdamSK has effectively played an extra match that CancerousAnon would have otherwise played, but whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.