Beyond the Rhine» Forums » General

Subject: FT Tank Battalion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nguyen

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
Does anyone know what the "FT" in FT tank battalion stands for? This abbreviation is mysteriously absent in the Unit Designations Abbreviations table. It doesn't affect play, but I'm trying to wrap my head around why the US has both a 747 tank battalion and a 747 FT tank battalion.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that refers to the 747th Tank Battalion (Flamethrower-equipped) which saw action in Europe. Just a guess though. I'm used to FT standing for flamethrower in other games, and a quick google search indicated that the 747th used tanks equipped with flamethrowers.

http://bit.ly/2dpS6dS
Source: The Infantry's Armor: The U.S. Army's Separate Tank Battalions in World War II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, flamethrower. I think this is a case where Roland and I both thought that was a standard unit abbreviation (that would be found on page 4 of series rules). It should have been listed in the BTR exclusive rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nguyen

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
Thanks so much for the quick replies to both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The interesting thing is that both the American FT Tank Battalions in the game, the 743rd and 747th, were never converted to be fully equipped as flamethrower battalions. They operated as conventional tank battalions supporting the 30th Infantry Division and 29th Infantry Division respectively for the majority of the time depicted in BTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.