Hide
22 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Would you buy another game similar to KD? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I'm in a bit of a quandary and my question/s have no easy answers so I ask for your guy's opinions to help me make the right choice.

For two reasons (money and space), I'm a guy who prefers a very small collection of games (Including KD and all expansions, I own 6 games). I don't see myself owning more than 10 at any given time. If I get anymore games, it'll mainly be something small that my wife and I can enjoy, she's more the simple, small and short game type. I'd consider getting something for myself, but it would have to be something special. I also focus on solo play.

I just discovered Darklight: Memento Mori and it looks great! I like the fact that it's similar to KD, but on a smaller scale, the miniatures are gorgeous too. I admit, I don't really study the gameplay of boardgames I'm potentially interested in, I go by reviews and overall feel; I did the same with KD and was blown away by the gameplay. I guess since I'm still fairly new to boardgames it's easy for gameplay to impress me and everything feels innovative and fresh.

Here are the pros and cons I can think of for getting it as a more portable and less exhausting option to those days when I need a break from KD:

+ It's smaller (I hope) than KD.
+ It seems quicker than KD
+ Great minis for painting
+ I love the dungeon crawler aspect
+ Hopefully it's less complex and I can coax my wife into playing.
+ If it proves to be what I'm looking for and I miss the late pledge, the
retail might be too much to afford.

- I'm saving money for the upcoming KD expansions
- If it's anywhere near as fiddly as KD I don't know if I could handle it.
- If it's too similar to KD, in complexity and scale getting it would seem
redundant. I'm essentially looking for a KD lite.
- Space

Thanks for your input, folks.
Hopefully we all get some good news this Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While similar in theme, I don't see the games having as many similarities in regards to mechanics or how they play.

KD is all about the settlement, their struggles, and their advancement, with the big battles guiding all the other aspects.

Darklight is much more focused on your specific character and how they grow over the game. You build them up the way you want them, chugging potions and butchering minions until the nasty stuff starts to rear its head.

Read through some of the Kickstarter updates as they go into a fair amount of death in how the characters work.

The exploration and the environment play far bigger roles in Darklight as well, because like you said, it's a dungeon crawler.

Darklight is going more down the path that Warhammer Quest set before it.

Both games do have that emergent storytelling aspect. Plus the item crafting. And lovingly disturbed enemy designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmb
another game that looks like that is warhammer silver tower , haven't played it but I'm curious , would it be a nice kdm lite option ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone is another game like darklight/warhammer quest. I own SoB and I like it but it's nothing like KD:M. To be honest all three of these dungeon crawls are not lite games in general. I haven't seen the size of darklight yet but SoB barely can fit on my table and I don't even have all of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
another game that looks like that is warhammer silver tower , haven't played it but I'm curious , would it be a nice kdm lite option ?

No, it's different enough from KD:M. I like it as a fun, lighthearted game that still requires a bit of planning and/or coordination to not screw it completely.

If you can get the comparison, it plays like original Warhammer Quest with very good rules AND no campaign mode, leveling has a good intuition and very clean, customizable mechanics, but is implemented as a joke (at the last trial, except for the talisman fragments you may have, you are only slightly more powerful than you were at the first trial). The actual experience can be summed up as "Hero Quest: easy mode".

And I actually like WHQ:ST, so I suggest to play it. But remember that:
- the atmosphere is epic fantasy, high stakes
- no campaign and no micromanagement, just 8 trials (=adventures) to play in any order
- game is easy (compared to KDM, it is "twice as easy as Prologue Lion" easy)
- there is not a single, powerful boss, but a rush of glass cannons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Would I buy a game similar to KD:M? No. Because every time I would play it the back of my mind would be whispering, "Y'know, you could be playing KD:M right now instead of this."

Would I play a similar game? Yeah, sure, if my buddies had the game and wanted to play it I would. Because sometimes you need a break from the masochistic delights.

Would I buy a game completely unlike KD:M and play it? Yes. That's what I did with Star Wars: Armada. Because there really hasn't been a good Star Wars fleet battle game since the old 90s PC Rebellion game...which I played the shit out of. So good. Wish the would remake that awesome game...and, yes, I undertand that they "tried"...but they failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I agree with what other people are saying. Aside from some of the art direction it isn't the same type of game. Definitely not similar enough that I'd worry about owning both. I chose Sword and Sorcery to fill the catagory over Darklight: Memento Mori. Neither are out yet so it's impossible to say for certain which is the better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I followed the DL:MM campaign on KS and finally decided not to back it, so the answer is easy for me: I wouldn't play it instead of KDM, since I am not really interested in DL:MM

Besides, I can see a lot of differences between the two games, and tbh DL:MM is more a dark-modernised HQesque crawler with some bits of out-of-the-dungeon phase (which wasn't at all developed at the time that the KS campaing ended).

KDM is not a dungeon crawler. The monsters AI, complexity and variability is probably the best out there. The theme is awesome, and the depth of its many, many layers of mechanisms makes it a unique hardcore- survival- coop- dark- boardgaming experience.

I really believe there is currently no other game with which you can compare KDM as a whole. It may have some similarities with other games, in certain apects (like the AI decks also used in the Dark Souls boardgame -as far as i know to a much simpler extent), but that's all.

If you are looking for other kinds of games, then feel free to choose, but KDM is currently irreplaceable.

If anyone knows of a game that KDM can compare to, please let us know, for we will be missing something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned it, thoughts on that Dark Souls game? Just a super simplified KDM without the settlement phase? I ended up passing on it, but I am curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've passed on many of the mini's rich KS projects just because of the volume of game play and assembly KD:M requires... So, even though I spent a lot of money on KD:M, it is saving me money because I'm not backing nearly as many KS projects as I have in the past.

The current game I'm on the fence about is This War of Mine: The Board Game.
(the KS ended but one can still order the KS edition)
TWoM has rich narratives, tells a story, you build a settlement, you explore, there are numerous encounters, it is co-op... War can be a Nightmare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWOM looks good and I can handle dark themes, but I think this one might be a little to real for me. I know they are trying to show the evils of war in a creative way, but this one might cross that fun line for me based on theme. For example, I can watch a gritty horror flick or watch a dragon be slayed a million times, but that War Horse movie had me whimpering like a baby. Still on the fence though, its a good price and I love a good story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, don't think I would, unless it had some very interesting new mechanics. Game's too broad and solid to want another, really. That part of my collection is well filled.

Re: WHQ:ST, very, very different. Almost like a party game dungeon crawl in terms of how flavorful and light-weight it is.

Still looking for a deep dungeon crawl (ST is fun, but shallow; hate Myth with a passion; thought Journey was well-made but boring; haven't played Descent or SoB). Hoping Darksouls fills that niche, but IDK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely buy another game with a similar depth of crafting and civ-building mechanics wrapped inside a lengthy campaign. I think that's a brilliant hook for a game, and I would eat up any others that attempted to come close to what KD:M brought us on those fronts.

Take out some of the roll-to-resolve and put in its place some thinkier euro worker placement elements? Bring the price down some* by not putting such an emphasis on its miniatures? Hot damn, I would be all over that.

*I would still expect a high price tag on such a game, even without the miniatures -- just due to the fact that it would take a lot of long hours and hard work to build this type of ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
I would say that thinking Darklight: Memento Mori is a replacement for KDM is like saying a ipod shuffle is a replacement for a Iphone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Henschel

Colorado Springs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
I'm in a bit of a quandary and my question/s have no easy answers so I ask for your guy's opinions to help me make the right choice.

For two reasons (money and space), I'm a guy who prefers a very small collection of games (Including KD and all expansions, I own 6 games). I don't see myself owning more than 10 at any given time. If I get anymore games, it'll mainly be something small that my wife and I can enjoy, she's more the simple, small and short game type. I'd consider getting something for myself, but it would have to be something special. I also focus on solo play.

I just discovered Darklight: Memento Mori and it looks great! I like the fact that it's similar to KD, but on a smaller scale, the miniatures are gorgeous too. I admit, I don't really study the gameplay of boardgames I'm potentially interested in, I go by reviews and overall feel; I did the same with KD and was blown away by the gameplay. I guess since I'm still fairly new to boardgames it's easy for gameplay to impress me and everything feels innovative and fresh.

Here are the pros and cons I can think of for getting it as a more portable and less exhausting option to those days when I need a break from KD:

+ It's smaller (I hope) than KD.
+ It seems quicker than KD
+ Great minis for painting
+ I love the dungeon crawler aspect
+ Hopefully it's less complex and I can coax my wife into playing.
+ If it proves to be what I'm looking for and I miss the late pledge, the
retail might be too much to afford.

- I'm saving money for the upcoming KD expansions
- If it's anywhere near as fiddly as KD I don't know if I could handle it.
- If it's too similar to KD, in complexity and scale getting it would seem
redundant. I'm essentially looking for a KD lite.
- Space

Thanks for your input, folks.
Hopefully we all get some good news this Friday!

Perhaps wait for 1 of Poots new games he mentioned recently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raxximus wrote:

Perhaps wait for 1 of Poots new games he mentioned recently?

Oh??? He mentioned working on new stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Various spin-offs/ideas/it would be cool if's... only known thing (i.e. with anything shown) is there have been a couple animated sprites made for some hypothetical computer game/app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
these two games are extremely different, it would be like comparing decent with heroscape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was definitely intrigued when I saw Darklight had a "settlement sheet" and "settlement locations"; made me wonder if they were literally using the same ideas from KD:M. Personally, I would love to see another company try their own take on a game similar to KD:M, but I don't think Darklight is it. There are definitely some similarities, but I think Darklight is a more straightforward dungeon crawler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw Darklight on it's first day and was interested in backing it. However, it was not as compelling as KD:M when I saw it. So, I ended up not backing it.

As for the title of this thread.
Yes, I would buy another game similar to KD:M. Especially if it's a more streamlined, single session game would be of interest to my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on each of the games we're talking about:

- I had a look at Darklight. It really looks like it is heralding back to the old Warhammer Quest, with a darker theme (the setting reminded me of Darksun- a sort of Fantasy post apocalypse with demons everywhere).

They had a rulebook posted during the kickstarter- that should give you an idea as to the complexity.

- Meanwhile, Warhammer Quest has been resurrected as The Silver Tower. They've set themselves up to be able to expand it with new standalone games taking place in other dungeons.

The old WQ was practically an RPG, while the new game removes the town completely, and allows all sorts of hated enemies to be allied against the tower.

The thing that GW does well is simplicity. From all accounts, the game plays fairly straightforward

- Shadows of Brimstone is another title that is definitely inspired by the old WQ- including town stops (and one expansion that adds a lot to the towns). I've played it quite a bit, and I believe the complexity will turn off someone looking for KDM lite:

Each hero tracks XP and money separately- and most of the XP is granted whenever a hero wounds a monster- they get X xp four wounding+ Y xp per wound inflicted. It annoys me that such math needs to be done every single turn.

The minis are less than awesome, however (maybe up with Fantasy Flight quality, nowhere near KDM).

- Darksouls is worth bringing up- the game hasn't been released yet, but the mechanics revealed definitely show a dungeon crawler with inspirations from Kingdom Death (the AI deck, and difficulty of Boss Monsters).

It will be some time before Steamforge releases the game and gives us all more info.

-In the end, Kingdom Death Monster does not really do most of the core elements of a Dungeon Crawler- but it is hard to fit it into any other genre. Mechanically, it is a dungeon crawler with no minion monsters- just big boss fights and story events.

-There are a lot of other cool dungeon crawlers out or on Kickstarter- have a look at Deep Madness, Siege of the Citadel, Massive Darkness, Midarra, Vampire Hunters, Undercity/Widower's Wood and Super Dungeon Explore Legends (I believe all of those listed are co-op or have an official co-op variant).

And on top of that, Poots has mentioned working on at least two Kingdom Death games that will be mechanically simpler than KD:M.

Altogether, there are too many cool things in the world, and I can only get some of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.