Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Andrews
Australia
Burwood East
Victoria
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has played Codex with 5 players.

I know it supports it, but does it work? Is it fun? Does it grind with 5?

My play group is 5 players so I need to be sure it will be fun with 5 before I consider it.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Truth be told, I have a feeling you'd probably be better off simultaneously running one two-player game and one three-player game, but I haven't played more than two players myself. That said, there will necessarily be a fair bit of downtime, just because you'd have to sit through four opposing turns instead of one before each time your turn comes up.

I do hear the three-player game has interesting dynamics that you won't find in the usual two-player game, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played a few 3 player games. You actually get a chance to build tier 3 units and really swing some haymakers at each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
due to the way it works, a 5 player game doen't usually last a higher number of turns than a 2 player game, and it' quite a savage affair with a lot of back and forth. that said, five players CAN suffer from a bit of downtime, expecially when you still have to gain confindence with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players will most certainly be rough downtime wise. 4 is fantastic as a Two Headed Giant,even less downtime than 3 players. I would be far more likely to attempt a 6 player, Three Headed Giant,than to try 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
We played some games of free-for-all with 3-5 players.
My impression is that this mode requires some balance between players. I think it would be quite fun with experienced players.
We play mostly attacking/hindering the one that seems to be winning. The game is usually won by the one that everyone overlooked; overlooked because we are not yet good at playing...

I would not recommend 5p while learning.
3p + 2p is a good suggestion while learning.
3p would be a game small enough that you have a chance of tracking who is winning and (after, mostly) where she/he gained advantage.

HTH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.