Popular Tags: [View All]
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say I have Strategy. I spend 2 military actions, then change to military theory. Do I get 1 more military action or 3 for this turn?
One could argue that the 2 MA that I spent were linked to Strategy.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actions you spend are not tokens you return to a bank or common pool, and I'm sure you don't discard the tokens from your previous tech before taking new tokens for your new one.

Would you make a similar argument for a change from Monarchy to Democracy after using a couple of civil actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 more: you had 2 MA bonus, you now have 3 MA bonus; you just gain the difference (the old blue tech is replaced by the new one); one more red cube is available.

You do not care which red cube you used (at least in this situation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP might be asking what happens when you gain or lose actions, or maybe when you discover a blue tech.

1. When you gain actions, the new actions are available to use right away. The exception is if you discover a new government with a revolution. The new civil actions (or military if using Robespierre) are not available.

2. When you lose actions, such as losing a leader that gave you actions, the lost actions go first from your spent pool. So you can spend a military action first, then replace a leader that gave you a military action, and you would lose the spent military action.

3. When discovering a blue tech of a type you already have, the older one is discarded. So if you have Strategy, which gives two military actions plus three strength, and you replace it with Military Theory, which gives three military actions and five strength, you get a net of one more military action and two more strength. The new military action is available to use.

Perhaps the OP wonders that if you replace Strategy with Military Theory, you first lose two military actions from your spent pool and then gain three military actions to your available pool. That is not how I interpret the rules. I would just gain one military action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unsurprisingly, now I've had a chance to look, the rulebook also covers this:

Quote:
If a card leaves play because it is being replaced by
a card entering play, update your tokens once the
process is complete. You cannot resolve it as two
separate steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Unsurprisingly, now I've had a chance to look, the rulebook also covers this:

Quote:
If a card leaves play because it is being replaced by
a card entering play, update your tokens once the
process is complete. You cannot resolve it as two
separate steps.

This supports my assertion that the rulebook for the new Through the Ages is excellent. I've wondered if you can use Breakthrough with a Revolution, and the answer was right there. It seems that 10 years of experience with games and with Through the Ages plus a no-rush attitude of getting products to market causes a great product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
Say I have Strategy. I spend 2 military actions, then change to military theory. Do I get 1 more military action or 3 for this turn?
One could argue that the 2 MA that I spent were linked to Strategy.

Thibaut, you had answered in that thread too: Refreshing Military Actions when switching from Warfare to Strategy [answer: it's a single step]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was just too tired this morning.
Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.