The Others» Forums » General

Subject: Different than Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I have a short question, is this game different to zombicide because they look almost like the same? Thx for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have compared it to Zombicide, but I have to tell you there is very very little similarity in actual gameplay. Visual similarities are a matter of opinion but the differences in mechanisms and structure are huge. No comparison.

(I like both games but for different reasons.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nothing like Zombicide. It's more like Chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minis on a board... cool mini or not... monsters.... modular board
and there end the similarities.

this has a DM controlling the sins. death is a needed requirement against the other players, the whole corruption mechanic, rushing the heroes is not always the goal, sometimes you need to zone them out,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more like Arcadia Quest with one player controlling the bad guys and the guilds working together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Brucks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, this game is totally different from Zombicide. Zombicide is a cooperative character-driven tactical boardgame where the players are all playing against the game. This game is a competitive team-based strategy game where most of the players are working against against a single opponent. Zombicide is much more focused on your character surviving and upgrading enough that they can complete the overall scenario. The Others is much more focused on your team managing their overall resources and accomplishing missions while limiting the actions of the Others player. The two sides are each focused on their own goals. Individual character survival is kind of an afterthought in The Others. The Faith players have a pool of 7 team members to pull from and the Others player has a limitless supply of monsters to pull from. It's also important to note that the scale of the board is much looser in The Others than in Zombicide. Even though there are "street" areas and "building" areas, the scale of those areas is representative, not literal. There are no rooms in buildings that the characters move through. Also, unlike Zombicide, the game relies on the rules and player decisions to drive any narrative, not flavor text and scenario details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you guys for the quick response and the information. I just saw it and thought that it looks like zombicide but it seems like it's a completely other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LosNossos wrote:
thank you guys for the quick response and the information. I just saw it and thought that it looks like zombicide but it seems like it's a completely other game.

It's funny because almost every review I've seen/heard compares it to Zombicide. I'd say they're a bit similar in general feel. The basic idea of there being a team of players, gearing up with items and mowing down baddies by chucking dice is the same. That's about the end of the similarities...

- Movement is much more abstracted on a small board for the Others, it's almost more like a worker placement where Zombicide is a sprawling board that you're slowly moving through.

- The bad guys are controlled by another player who is placing them on the board rather than endless spawn points in Zombicide.

- Heroes are disposable in the Others, you'll likely jump into a different character when one dies.

- The Sins player has cards with special affects that he'll be playing against you.

In fact, I'd say the Others is a bit closer to the Descent/Imperial Assault system than it is Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.