Hide
23 Posts

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Can anyone explain me how to use some ships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M V
msg tools
Hi i am player recently hooked on armada.

I am getting a copy of every ship and since i play with friends i need to balance things as much as possible...but i didn t undertand how some ships are supposed to be used efficiently:

the imperial carriers and rebel transports for example

I see many people use them in many lists but i struggle to understand how they are supposed to be used.

Are they all about using squadron commands?

Another thing i don't really get is the interdictor..
Its as slow as a Victory, fires way less.
Has some cool upgrades but costs almost as an ISD...

Last but not least... since i don't really like MC80 home one that looks really too boring to play. I saw the liberty...but isn t it a little too squishy due to lower hull value and lack of defensive slot? or it can be built to be comparable to an ISD?

Ty a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of strategy guides out there, which you should definitely check out, but in short:

The flotillas can be used to control squadrons, repair bigger ships or mess with enemy ships (slicer tools, etc.)

The Interdictor isn't used primarily for attack. It's grav well projectors can mess with enemy fleets, and targeting scrambler can protect your ships from up-close attacks. Plus, it has more hull points than a VSD.

MC80 and Liberty are probably equally squishy, depending on how you use them. The Liberty's meant to be pointed directly at the enemy, while Home One is meant to fly by and engage using their side zones. So either one is good or bad, depending on how you use them, and neither one is as tough as an ISD, which is by design.

Glad you're hooked. The world needs more Armada players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Interdictor with combat refit is significantly more rounded and versatile than the VSD also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eastland
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flotillas (transports and carriers) are also useful as cheap "activations".

If you have more ships than your opponent, you can often put off moving your most important ship until after they have moved everything on the table.

Since flotillas are so cheap, you can afford to buy several to give you this advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Democratus wrote:
Flotillas (transports and carriers) are also useful as cheap "activations".

If you have more ships than your opponent, you can often put off moving your most important ship until after they have moved everything on the table.

Since flotillas are so cheap, you can afford to buy several to give you this advantage.

They're especially useful that way for Imperials, since they typically get fewer activations per turn than Rebels. Plus, Gozantis with slicer tools and Interdictors with their toys can really screw with a Rebel fleet.

The Interdictor's grav card and ISDs' tractor beams can really bring opposing big ships to a halt, preventing them from using defense tokens.

On the other side, the Comms Net can send tokens to your big ships, freeing them up to choose different commands. Instead of the standard "choose Nav on turn 1 and bank the token", they can bank something else and have a nav token sent to them by a nearby flotilla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eastland
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
The Interdictor's grav card and ISDs' tractor beams can really bring opposing big ships to a halt, preventing them from using defense tokens.

Need to be careful here with the rules. You can't take away a ship's defense tokens with any of these items.

Even the G8 Grav card only temporarily reduces speed by 1 during the movement phase. The ship's speed returns to its original value before anyone can fire on it.

That being said, it is fun to slow an enemy ship to a crawl while you set up an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Maturin
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
VonDodo wrote:

Last but not least... since i don't really like MC80 home one that looks really too boring to play. I saw the liberty...but isn t it a little too squishy due to lower hull value and lack of defensive slot? or it can be built to be comparable to an ISD?

Ty a lot

The Liberty can be built to put out the same forward arc firepower as a stock ISD-II. But do not make the mistake of thinking that it is "comparable" to an ISD. They are very different ships and need to be used differently, with different fleets around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Democratus wrote:
Need to be careful here with the rules. You can't take away a ship's defense tokens with any of these items.

Ah. I missed the "till the end of the maneuver" text. Still, it's very handy for keeping a Rebel ship where you want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Flotillas are great in many ways. One most obvious way is padding your list with cheap activations. Having more activations is a huge advantage in this game, as it lets you delay activating your heavy hitters until enemy is in range.

Flotillas also get very good upgrade slot with incredible upgrades like Bomber Command Center or Slicer Tools. They are also perfect flagships, as they can be directed away from main battlefield.

Interdictor is an odd ship. Many believe it is overpriced for what it does. It has some great defensive and control capabilities, puts out decent dice out of most arcs and with token can have whooping 8 engineering points. The problem is that it's hard to build around it as it costs a third of your fleet value in points.

Liberty is glass cannon. It can do magic with its front arc and with 5 shields it can go toe to toe with an ISD, while being a lot more points-efficient. Mon Karren is a very good title that works as a huge force multiplier. But if it gets flanked, it's as good as dead. And it REALLY has to be protected against bombers.

Home One is a very well-rounded ship, but slow as hell and could really use engine techs. A very solid obvious combo with Ackbar. Boring but effective

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
Found how to use the interdictor ...
Its the only non ISD with ion cannons and blue dices.

It makes overload pulse + screed really nasty if used before the ISD with avenger.

while supporting the ISD with projection experts.

Liberty seems fun but i have still to understand how to use it.
I really want to replace the boring MC80 -.-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Liberty
-Mon Karren
-X17
-Spinal
-Leading Shots
-Gunnery Team
Could also give it Engine Techs.

Support it well with good squadron command ships and just point it at the enemy. You get a speed 3 ship with 5 RED, 3 BLUE in front arc with reroll and opponent can only chose one defense token.

With two braces and five shields in front, this ship can take some heat. Just don't let anything flank it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
had a really similar build i didn t use x17 btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
VonDodo wrote:
had a really similar build i didn t use x17 btw

Yeah, x17 has quite a bit of overlap with Mon Karren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
Liberty
-Mon Karren
-X17
-Spinal
-Leading Shots
-Gunnery Team
Could also give it Engine Techs.

Support it well with good squadron command ships and just point it at the enemy. You get a speed 3 ship with 5 RED, 3 BLUE in front arc with reroll and opponent can only chose one defense token.

With two braces and five shields in front, this ship can take some heat. Just don't let anything flank it.

I'm using it with Liberty and Toryn Farr, paired with an old-school Mon Cal with Defiance and Overload Pulse. Toryn's re-rolls are handy when trying for a blue crit, and also helps my bombers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
bird94us wrote:

I'm using it with Liberty and Toryn Farr, paired with an old-school Mon Cal with Defiance and Overload Pulse. Toryn's re-rolls are handy when trying for a blue crit, and also helps my bombers.

I tried to pair the two but I find that I don't have enough points for anything else, and I don't feel comfortable with so few activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
bird94us wrote:

I tried to pair the two but I find that I don't have enough points for anything else, and I don't feel comfortable with so few activations.

That can be a challenge. I added two GR 75s to help them out, and to give me four activations, and it's worked well so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
bird94us wrote:
That can be a challenge. I added two GR 75s to help them out, and to give me four activations, and it's worked well so far.

I guess you could go no squadron... but then, for no squadron, you will get outdeployed. And squadrons hurt big ships a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
bird94us wrote:

I guess you could go no squadron... but then, for no squadron, you will get outdeployed. And squadrons hurt big ships a lot.

8 squadrons in that build, too. Liberty, Mon Cal, 2 GRs, 3 Ys, 3 Xs, Wedge and Dutch. Using Bomber Command gives all 8 squadrons a re-roll, as does Toryn if they're close. Pretty fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
bird94us wrote:
8 squadrons in that build, too. Liberty, Mon Cal, 2 GRs, 3 Ys, 3 Xs, Wedge and Dutch. Using Bomber Command gives all 8 squadrons a re-roll, as does Toryn if they're close. Pretty fun to play.

Wow, how did you fit all that in? I tried for a while and I just can't manage to fit this in 400 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
bird94us wrote:

Wow, how did you fit all that in? I tried for a while and I just can't manage to fit this in 400 pts.

It's all in the math (which we can't publish here or we'll get in trouble). MC80 Command, MC80 Star, 2 GR 75 Mediums, 8 squadrons, 8 upgrade cards, 400 points exactly. And pretty fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
bird94us wrote:
It's all in the math (which we can't publish here or we'll get in trouble). MC80 Command, MC80 Star, 2 GR 75 Mediums, 8 squadrons, 8 upgrade cards, 400 points exactly. And pretty fun to play.

Wait, we can't publish builds on forums? That's odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
bird94us wrote:

Wait, we can't publish builds on forums? That's odd.

Can't publish specific point values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did post it in the build thread if you'd like to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.