Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Adding items to other cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For cards that add resources to another card, like Aerobraked Ammonia Asteroid, do those cubes have to go on a card that creates or is meant to have microbes? I can't find any rules against placing them on any card, even though it doesn't make sense flavour wise. I've been playing the more restrictive way, but I recently lost a very tight game where I couldn't play this card due to the restriction.

A related question, assuming the above is not allowed, is whether or not cards like these can be played in the solo game, targeting the neutral player('s cards) with the microbes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnPHard wrote:
For cards that add resources to another card, like Aerobraked Ammonia Asteroid, do those cubes have to go on a card that creates or is meant to have microbes? I can't find any rules against placing them on any card, even though it doesn't make sense flavour wise. I've been playing the more restrictive way, but I recently lost a very tight game where I couldn't play this card due to the restriction.

A related question, assuming the above is not allowed, is whether or not cards like these can be played in the solo game, targeting the neutral player('s cards) with the microbes.

You have to have a card in play that can receive the cubes, any card won't do. Note however that you can still play the card, page 9 of the rules shows that the situation where you can't place resources on a card is an exception to the rule that all effects must be performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnPHard wrote:
For cards that add resources to another card, like Aerobraked Ammonia Asteroid, do those cubes have to go on a card that creates or is meant to have microbes?

Yes, you can only place the microbes on a card that can store/produce microbes - but you don't HAVE to be able to store the microbes in order to play the card, you can just lose the microbes.

See this thread:
Aerobraked Ammonia Asteroid

Edit: #ninja'd ninja

Quote:

No, your "virtual opponent" in Solo play doesn't have any cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no cards that allow you to use microbes cubes placed on another card. Even if you could place microbes on a card that doesn't use them, they would be useless there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
There are no cards that allow you to use microbes cubes placed on another card. Even if you could place microbes on a card that doesn't use them, they would be useless there.

Well, there is "Ants" which "eats" microbe counters off any player's card.
In a multiplayer game, I think it would be legal to play Aerobraked Ammonia Asteroid, put the bonus microbes on another player's microbe card (say, Tardigrades), and then later play Ants to eat them off again. devil

In the Solo game, well you could still use Ants once every generation, because
rulebook p.13, Solo variant for Corporate Era wrote:
4) You have a neutral opponent that you can steal from, or reduce any kind of resources and production from.

- but there would be no opponent's card to store those initial bonus microbes from the asteroid on, or any way to get them back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Snapshot wrote:
In a multiplayer game, I think it would be legal to play Aerobraked Ammonia Asteroid, put the bonus microbes on another player's microbe card (say, Tardigrades), and then later play Ants to eat them off again. devil

Actually, the rulebook says no shake

Rules, page9 wrote:
Any production (see brown boxes on cards A, B, D & E) must be performed. Resources or production with a red frame means that you can affect any player you choose (even yourself ). Resources or production without red frames always affect yourself and must be performed.

Underscores are mine

To be fair though, putting microbes onto another player's cards is a pretty niche scenario anyway (only relevant with ants)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Actually, the rulebook says no shake
Rules, page9 wrote:
Resources or production without red frames always affect yourself and must be performed.

You're right, I guess that's that settled then.

Quote:
To be fair though, putting microbes onto another player's cards is a pretty niche scenario anyway

Absolutely, but I've seen arguments at gaming tables over less. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well that's great then. I hated holding that card until I had a valid target for those microbes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.