13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card Games/Board Games (Solo) Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Syvc Thr
Philippines
flag msg tools
I'm always eying Yugioh but the game is 2 player, Thunderstone adv. tower of ruin & worlds collide but the game is very expensive. Mage knight is currently on my list, it requires a lot of space though.

Any card game that is innovative, competitive, artistic arts/design, fantasy, RPG that can be played solo. I'm not a fan of modern concept. I prefer old school era mixed with fantasy or horror. Like Ragnarok, warcraft, resident evil or diablo.

I've seen games like Ascension, Dominion, Pathfinder, LOTR. More options are very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is SciFi+Horror, but still worth a look, I'd say:

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

It is inexpensive and does not need a lot of space. A lot of fun in a little box.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone 3rd edition was supposed to come to Kickstarter this month but I believe it has been delayed until early next year. Tower of Ruin and Worlds Collide will probably drop in price when/if that happens. Or if you like the looks of the 3rd edition, you could kickstart it. I understand it's awhile to wait. I just wanted to let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syvc Thr
Philippines
flag msg tools
3rd edition? What might be the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1618297/thunderstone-30-pre...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go full old school, have a look at the print and play Barbarian Prince.

It is, be warned, utterly unforgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
This is SciFi+Horror, but still worth a look, I'd say:

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

It is inexpensive and does not need a lot of space. A lot of fun in a little box.

Bye
Thanee

I second this recommandation, very good solo game. Also the upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game might be worth looking into...card game with RPG feel, horror/fantasy,, designed for solo/2P, definitely looks to be innovative (campaign system, card leveling up, lasting consequences etc). And Lovecraft is pretty old school I would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
If you want to go full old school, have a look at the print and play Barbarian Prince.

It is, be warned, utterly unforgiving.

And a card game inspired on it: Barbarian Vince. Not in the BGG database, but can be found on the web. Only 54 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. For solo games I have 2 recommendations. Check out the monthly SGOYT https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/214406/solitaire-games-yo...? for solo games that are currently being played. From there you can get a sense of which games are popular, and which you'd like. Or, you could use Advanced Search on all 1 player games and search through that list. https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear... But keep in mind most co-op games can also be played solo, just multihanded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to solo warhammer quest the adventure card game. I think it fits a lot of your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syvc Thr
Philippines
flag msg tools
Any opinions about the difficulty of mage knight, TSA?

Mage knight, I don't feel the goals of victory there. You explore, kill monsters and earn points, thats it? I think theres no losing here, you count your points and thats it?

In thunderstone adv, monsters keep coming and escaped monsters reduce your points.

I think mage knight wont be as competitive in single player.

Warhammer Quest sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally you have scenarios in Mage Knight that give you some kind of goal, so it is a bit more than just counting your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syvcthr wrote:
Mage knight, I don't feel the goals of victory there. You explore, kill monsters and earn points, thats it? I think theres no losing here, you count your points and thats it?
Except for the introductory scenario, you normally have to conquer cities. You still get some points if you don't manage that, but very few.
Solo gaming gets a lot better with the 'Lost Legions' expansion: In these scenarios you have to compete against Volkare, an AI hero who's amassing an army over the course of the game.
syvcthr wrote:
In thunderstone adv, monsters keep coming and escaped monsters reduce your points.
While I really enjoy Thunderstone Advance as a multi-player game, the solo gameplay fell completely flat for me. In contrast to Mage Knight, this is really about nothing but counting victory points.
syvcthr wrote:
Warhammer Quest sounds good.
It is, but unfortunately, it was clearly designed to really come to life after releasing a lot of expansions. However, now that FFG lost the GW license, there will be no expansions. So all you have are the two (short) campaigns offered by the base game.

Assault on Doomrock is a game I really enjoy playing solo. You have to win three big battles to win the game and that's really hard to achieve.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is also very good. There's plenty of scenarios and enough variability within each scenario to make it immensely replayable. It's also good at any number of players (i.e. 1-4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.