17 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: How is this as a 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, just wondering how this plays as a 2 player game? looking forward to seeing a run-through of it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Degobbis
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
I'll play it in two Friday night. After that, I'll give you my impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, I'm torn between this and Railroad Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sew yourself together and buy both. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Too many games" is a myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
I have played my first (and only) game of GWT yesterday, 2 players only.

The game went fine but I expect a much more tense game with more players.

Here are a few areas where we did not have to compete too much:
- building spots (including the ones in the woods, see building 1a)
- hazard/teepee tiles: plenty for two so enough variety to complete our objectives
- train stations: five in total to be grabbed

Moving along the trails with more players will very likely be more expensive: more buildings, so more steps and more occasions to pay some fees. At the end of our game, half of the building spots were still empty.

The cattle market will also probably feel different. With only two players, player order is not that important and in the majority of the cases there were enough different cards to buy. With more players, there will be a big difference in the markets between the first and the last player going there.

So, IMHO, the 2 players experience is significantly different from the other player counts. To be confirmed soon with more players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the building spots. But also with 4 players, it's not meant to be a shortage of spots (you are right regarding building #1a - it's stronger with 2 than 4, but depends on the strategy of the others).

Regarding hazards etc.: With fewer people, also fewer people will arrive in Kansas City and therefore fewer of these tiles will come into play. Also there is less cattle in the market with 2 and steps to move is higher with 4 (and fees are lower).
It's neither with 2 nor with 4 a cutthroat competion game.

We'll see what your impression is when you've played it with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mb
AlexP wrote:
It's neither with 2 nor with 4 a cutthroat competion game.
So 3 is best? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Forstnerič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Thanks, I'm torn between this and Railroad Revolution.

I've only done a solo run-through of GWT to get familiar with the rules (with two simulated players) and it seems like it would work great with only 2 (though I prefer games with less interaction to those with more).

I can't say how it compares to Russian Railroads (yet), though I find RR a bit too scripted (that is, the first and second actions are pretty much defined in advance if you want to play well) and I miss just a bit more of luck (so to adapt your strategy on the go). The first problem is supposed to be solved with the German Railroads expansion, though I've yet to try it, I have the new American Railroads expansion (just bought in Essen) which I plan on trying soon.

RR is a great two-player game and I have a feeling GWT will turn out to be awesome as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
AlexP wrote:
We'll see what your impression is when you've played it with 3 or 4.

After a game with 4 players, I confirm that there seems to be no shortage of building spots.

The cattle market felt different: when new cows arrived, most players tried to grab the cards with more VPs (e.g. 5 VPs for West Highland or 7 VPs for Texas Longhorn). The player coming last to the market had cows with less VPs and/or a much reduced choice of colors.

There was indeed much tension around the train stations. With 4 players, it is very hard to grab more than one train stations. However, it is quite easy to progress on this track since you can skip more (occupied) spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All my games so far were 4p, so I cannot comment on 2p.

In 4p, building spots never filled up for us: I've seen only one or two buidlings on a hazard/tipi route, and even spots on non-hazard/non-tipi routes remained free. That's because there is always one or more player who prefers to upgrade existing buildings over building a new one, so several players will end the game with just two or three buildings on the map.

I can confirm that competition for stations can be very fierce in 4p - just two days ago another player managed three times to snatch a station just before I could. cry Because the station is now blocked, you must either wait (which means the other player comes out ahead again and moves to the next station while you go to the previous one) or pass the station (which will give the other player a nice opportunity to jump over you) or do some crazy move just for the purpose of moving your engine, which may hurt your other plans more than the station is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Degobbis
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
I've played 4 games in 2 and I really love this game.
After the first game, we placed randomly the neutral buildings and after a few turns (with more player buildings), the game changed a lot.
I tried different strategies (focus on cattle market, focus on hazards and teepee market, focus on stations and focus on buildings).
After few turns, the game is fast and you have a lot of choices.
In my opinion, it's a great 2p game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Forstnerič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nicozaki wrote:
I've played 4 games in 2 and I really love this game.
After the first game, we placed randomly the neutral buildings and after a few turns (with more player buildings), the game changed a lot.
I tried different strategies (focus on cattle market, focus on hazards and teepee market, focus on stations and focus on buildings).
After few turns, the game is fast and you have a lot of choices.
In my opinion, it's a great 2p game!

I agree - I've now played it two an three player and I really love it at both of these player counts. Haven't played it with four yet but that'll come soon. Right now I like it more than Russian Railroads, though I've yet to try the American Railroads expansion yet. GWT is for the time being my favorite game of this year :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilkins Chow
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is the same but the game feels very different for different number of players. It is a good thing as it gives you different gaming experience.

So far I have played 7 2-player games.

The main difference is that there is much less choices for the workers, and very often you need to hire them with higher cost. So it's more difficult to focus on one path(cow/buildings/train) and slows down your progress. Also the placement of worker/hazard tiles becomes very important as obviously your opponent will always go against you.

I often feel the game ended earlier than expected.
You have to plan very well in advance, as once you are in behind, you have little chance to comeback.
You don't need to build the best engine.
Instead, you only need to build a good enough one faster than your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinkin_chk wrote:
So far I have played 7 2-player games.

The main difference is that there is much less choices for the workers, and very often you need to hire them with higher cost.
It sounds like you didn't preselect the worker/hazaerd/teepee tiles you used as proposed in this thread: Less tiles when playing with 2 or 3 players?

I can imagine that in 2p, the (non-)availability of certain workers can easily steer you away from one strategy and towards another. "If life gives you Engineers, play a train strategy!" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Lara

Leipzig
Germany
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until now we enjoyed 3 2-player-games. I am pretty sure, that the game scales perfect from 2 to 4 players. There are possibilities of blocking the opponents, but it seems not to important to block. Therefore every player count should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilkins Chow
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say just hire everything that is available. laugh

Less tiles does not improve the situation much.
Let's say for the first 6 tiles, we get 2 workers of each type. (A/B/C)
1st row($6): A B C
2nd row($6): A B C
For three players, if each person goes for a different strategy,
then they can get 2 workers of the same type at $12(+$2) early in the game easily.

For two players, the situation changes a bit.
1st row($6): A B
2nd row($6): B C
3rd row($7): A C
The first player can get two worker B with $12(+$2) early.
The second player will need to wait one more round and spent $13 (+$2).
Also in two player game, your opponent will always pick the worker that you don't need and basically you are slowing down each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.