The Princess Bride: I Hate to Kill You» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Impression from Spiel 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F S
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
A friend and myself stumbled over this little game during our perusing of the halls of Essen's Spiel 2016. I was curious to see what other people thought of it, but, alas, there are no reviews yet. So why not be the change I'd like to see in this world? Here we go:

Overview

The Princes Bride: I Hate to Kill you is a small card game for two players that decide to face off in a duel of the fates. Apparently it is based on the movie The Princess Bride, but neither of us have seen it. So before writing this I caught a glimpse on Youtube to confirm my suspicions: it's about as hilariously bad as you'd expect.

Hilariously bad, you say..?

I do! And it is wonderful. Allow me to explain: Quinns from Shut Up and Sit Down once said in one of their reviews: "Every game is for a specific type of player at a specific point in time" (or something to that effect). My friend and I, expecting nothing of this but drawn in by the gruesome artwork on the cards, were exactly the right type of players at the right point in time.

When you first pick up the cards you are greeted by photographs of the original cast (I presume), dressed in the most ferociously bad costumes, swinging around their skirts and daggers. We were already laughing before we even started playing - and it only got worse from there.

You shall be vanquished by this card!

Each player gets a hand of cards and pool of dice. During every turn they roll what remains of their dice pool and choose one card to play. Played cards are discarded after use and cannot get picked up again (except a special Bluff card). The cards manipulate the dice in different ways and your goal is to acquire more sword symbols than your dastard opponent.

It sounds simple because it is. The game flows quickly and there's not all that much in terms of strategy. However, for the right person in the right mood, this game is hilarious. Right off the bat we started throwing men-in-tights-style insults at each other and each card was played with a flurry of hands.

"'TIS WHAT YOUR REVERED MOTHER UTTERED!", yells Prince Humperdinck and lunges forward in a surprise attack.
"Just as your loins, your plans shall NEVER BEAR FRUIT!", the Cruel Count Rugen responds and unveils the infamous Thibault Defense.

Oh dear.

Are your friends the same kind of stupid as you? We definitely were and we were still referencing the game for the rest of the day. It's remarkably silly, plays fast, and if you are the right kind of stupid you will love this.

The closest game I can compare I Hate to Kill You with would be Exploding Kittens. Their mechanics are different, but to me they have a similar feel, i.e., quick filler games designed to tease a smile out of you rather than impress you with their components or rule set. I laughed once about Exploding Kittens and have since dreaded every round that was forced upon me; it's shallow, barely a game, and you've seen the cards before. I laughed once about I Hate to Kill You and am pretty sure I will again. The cards are funny but they sill support an actual game. And while the laughs are certainly based on the cards, they're still created by the players and their own creativity. Exploding Kittens tells the same joke over and over again, I Hate to Kill You invites you into the dumbest of duels and to come up with your own.

Is it a demanding brain teaser? Definitely not. Does it have tremendous replay value? Probably not. Will it it be the first game you want to see on the table at your weekly meetup? Probably not either. But is there a better game to pick up a downed friend after he was stood up by his date? A sillier distraction for someone chained to a hospital bed..? Well, there probably is.

But right now I cannot think of any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harmon
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsidian Man
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to watch the movie! It is great that the designer are using that movie as a theme laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harmon
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Obsidian Man of Urik wrote:
You have to watch the movie! It is great that the designer are using that movie as a theme laugh

So true, if you haven't seen the movie you will enjoy it! I'm a huge fan of the movie so the theme was not just "slapped" on, we designed the game from the beginning with the movie in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mijnomrah wrote:
Obsidian Man of Urik wrote:

So true, if you haven't seen the movie you will enjoy it! I'm a huge fan of the movie so the theme was not just "slapped" on, we designed the game from the beginning with the movie in mind.

I think it speaks very strongly of the game's design that folks unfamiliar with the source still caught the mood, in a sense.

To folks that haven't seen the film, the swordfights in particular are commendable technical accomplishments (a serious case of the team having done their research... and training). Don't just hit up Youtube, though! They have a lot more impact in their context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F S
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
ErsatzDragon wrote:
I think it speaks very strongly of the game's design that folks unfamiliar with the source still caught the mood, in a sense.

Absolutely! It doesn't feel like the game is pointing a finger at the movie, going "Look at that stupid thing!". But rather it's having a laugh with everyone involved and invites the players to join ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.