BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: how to promote your boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello fellow boardgame lovers
Just a quick question i am planning to start a campaign on kickstarter for a boardgame that i have come up with.

How can i go about promoting my game as well as get loyal backers

any advice and opinion will be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie Stegmaier at Stonemaier Games has posted a series of articles on how to build/manage a successful kickstarter. That's probably worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you i will have a look

what is your opinion on promoting a boardgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guide to Promoting Crowdfunds and Games on the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi RegalPanda,

From all the Kickstarter campaigns I've seen recently it looks like you need to ideally have a finished game. At the very least, a decent portion of the game (10+ cards with artwork, some miniatures, the board, etc.) should be finished so that you can show it to potential backers on the campaign page.

As for promotion, there was a blog post on Jamey Stegmaier's page where he mentioned that he had a high (something like 400%) ROI from banner advertising right here on Boardgamegeek.

From my own experience of 1 failed and 1 successful Kickstarter campaign I can tell you that the communities where you are an *active* and well liked contributor (a drive by post on every messageboard you can find doesn't count) are the ones where people will support you the most, because they have seen you over the years, they are familiar with you, and they usually want one of their own to succeed. For instance, when I posted about my anthology project Kickstarter in an unrelated Starcraft forum, people did go out and support it, because they knew me (The DayKnights truly are the best people!).

Good luck with your campaign,

all the best,

Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First things first - DO NOT START YOUR KICKSTARTER IN THE NEXT 6 MONTHS!!!!

(not enough exclamation marks added)

That gives you time to do all the things you want to do to have a successful Kickstarter - promotion, getting people engaged, posting snippets from the game, pictures, full rules, all in all - creating "demand" for your game.

If you plan starting your Kickstarter in two weeks, nothing will help you anymore - seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
thank you i will be taking a look at the crowd fund page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Kai if you can tell me how come you failed one of your campaigns was it becasue you rushed to start the campaign or was there other factors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
lol thanks joe i think i will hold off from starting my campaign i was planning to start it 1st December but i may consider it for next year before the boardgame exhibitions in uk and Germany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I wanted to raise 1500$ for cover art of a novel. Although I had seen a project that did that successfully with a higher funding goal of 2500$, the overwhelming response was "Don't hire an artist to produce a cover, just get a cheap stock photo for a few dollars."

Anything book related is difficult on Kickstarter, but it seems to be a different story for games, so the main factors for the unsuccessfuly Kickstarter were:

1. Difficult category
2. No prior fanbase
3. The target audience didn't agree with the campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
wow thank you for your advice the game i am making is a boardgame that is like an online game however is played on a board plus i have had about 12 people play it at the moment and i have had good feedback from play testing it

plus the game i am making is alway changing in the sense of when you play it the first time the strategy you use wont be the same the next time you play it

so it feels like a new game on a whole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Keep working on your game until it's good enough to be picked up by an established publisher.
2. Sell it to an established publisher.
3. Work with them to develop it into a game that's good enough to publish.
4. Let the publisher deal with the rest.

If people put as much work into game design as they do into their Kickstarter campaigns, we might not be so awash with unfinished, underdeveloped, lackluster games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In the text for your kickstarter page:
* More capitals
* More interpunction
* Fewer bolded words

That somehow makes you look more like someone serious, someone to entrust one's money to.

Edit: BTW, you might start building on such a reputation here in these forums as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RegalPanda wrote:
wow thank you for your advice the game i am making is a boardgame that is like an online game however is played on a board plus i have had about 12 people play it at the moment and i have had good feedback from play testing it

plus the game i am making is alway changing in the sense of when you play it the first time the strategy you use wont be the same the next time you play it

so it feels like a new game on a whole

It sounds like you're several hundred play tests short of being ready to publish. Also, if the 12 people who played your game are friends and family, throw out the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to BGG Help and How-To

welcomeblankIbrahim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for your feedback i will take all the advice i will take it on board and learn from it

I am no longer starting a campaign in two weeks and will be most likely next year April May time hopefully by then my game will be at a point where everyone who has play tested it had fun as well as those who know about my game are eager to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think once my game is finished i will aim to get bloggers and boardgame reviewers play test it to get feedback on weather it is ready to start a crowdfund campaign what do you lot think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, from what I gather I think that you are new to all things boardgame related. I have read your threads and your posts and scanned your profile.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but you are not gonna get your game funded. Not now, not in 2weeks, not in 2017 probably not ever. You have hardly any knowledge about boardgames. You were given names of some very well known games and you had no idea what they were.

My advice to you is to buy games in the genre of the game you want to make and play those and leave designing them to people who actually know what they are doing. A few games you might like are Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, Level 7 [Omega Protocol] or Mice and Mystics.

Again, not to be mean but I have a feeling that if you continue on your way we will meet again here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
lol that is some harsh words but i was just seeking answers off here if the game dont sell then atleast i have a game that i can play with friends and family it is what it is if i get funding hurray if not oh well on to the next idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RegalPanda wrote:
...if the game dont sell then atleast i have a game that i can play with friends and family it is what it is if i get funding hurray if not oh well on to the next idea

That right there is the reason you will fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
whats the reason i will fail lol cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
i believe if a person works hard on something and has passion about something they do then there is a big chance they will succeed at one point in life so i will defo take everything you have said on board and work from there and aim to make a game like no other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RegalPanda wrote:
whats the reason i will fail lol cry

Your attitude. You act like you don't care about your game and if your campaign fails or not.

here's a link to the last KS I backed. This is the kind of production people want to see BEFORE they back it. It takes plenty of time and a lot of money to get things up to that point. Now think what you'll have to invest in time/money to get your game to this level.

Please, oh please take a picture of your prototype that you were planning on showing on your Kickstarter page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RegalPanda wrote:
i believe if a person works hard on something and has passion about something they do then there is a big chance they will succeed at one point in life so i will defo take everything you have said on board and work from there and aim to make a game like no other

I do believe that too, and I hope I'm wrong about this. I hope your game turns out amazing. I'm just trying to show you what usually comes from people that think 'Hey, look at this game I made. I'm gonna put it on Kickstarter, how hard can it be to get funded.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I do care about my game as i have worked on it for a few months i do care if i dont get funded but it wont stop me from making my game is what i mean if at first you dont succeed try try again

and i will show everyone the game before i post it up on any crowdfunding site so that we can have a review of it and hopefully then you will see how hard i have worked on it and will see it as a fun interesting game

from what i can see off this site
http://boardgameduel.com/what-makes-a-good-board-game/

my game in theory should be of terra mysitica due to the way the game is played but that will be up to you guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.