22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best Card Sleeve Company rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sasha King
msg tools
Hi everybody.
i'm looking for a good Card Sleeves for my new Board Games.
Which Company would you recommend for games?
Mayday or Fantasy Flight Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the consensus would be that FFG has somewhat better quality control. Sometimes you will see complaints about inconsistencies in fit from Mayday sleeves from pack to pack.

I think Mayday has more sizes, though, so depending on what particular game you are trying to sleeve, you may have to go with Mayday.

Having said that, my collection is sleeved with a combination of penny sleeves and Mayday. I haven't had any problems at all with Mayday. The price of FFG isn't worth it to me. (I think I have a few games with FFG, but not many at all.)

I find penny sleeves serve my needs very well for standard cards and Mayday is a good value for the other sizes.

I think the best thing to do is buy a pack of each and see what works for you. They are just sleeves, after all, not complicated machinery and the differences, I think, aren't nearly as large as we make them out to be sometimes.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there is one best answer, and it might vary from game to game.

This GeekList is your friend:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-...

Personally I usually stick with Fantasy Flight (because I bought a boatload of "Clear" sleeves in bulk) with some games sleeved in Mayday (because of a better fit, or a discount on an exact "set") but your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
If by "best" you mean highest quality, probably FFG. If you want a good quality at a reasonable price, then definitely not FFG.
I`ve used some Mayday and they`re fine. Mostly I go for MTL (Make Them Last) which are very cheap and work just fine for me (though if you have a deck of sleeved cards pressed tightly - like in the insert for Dominion - after a few weeks some cards will get stuck together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG or Ultra Pro. Swan Panasia sleeves are the only ones I get from Mayday since they have such a huge variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra Pro have the best quality, by far. However, they also stick an annoying sticker in all corners of all their sleeves

Fantasy Flight are nearly as good quality as Ultra Pro so I generally stick to those since they have no sticker in the corner.

Swan Panasia Premium have a huge variety of sizes and is generally your best bet if you come across any non-standard card sizes, but quality is a bit inconsistent compared to the two mentioned above.

Note: If you want sleeves that have one opaque side and one transparent, then Ultra Pro are much better than Fantasy Flight (as long as the sticker don't cover any text on your cards). The colored opaque sleeves from Fantasy Flight have a tendency to form bulges and waves on the opaque side. A colored plastic will have different properties than transparent plastic. Ultra Pro seem to know this and have obviously made some calculations and tests to make sure the card sleeves remain flat and smooth after you have inserted your cards.

I'm probably a very picky sleever, but there's my two cents based on years of sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha King
msg tools
Thanks for your Help!
What about the DRAGON SHIELD SLEEVES?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon shields are definitely better than the others you mentioned, it you are going to pay more. One issue I have with FFG sleeves is that the seems rip from time to time. Dragons don't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see any of the replies I expected in this thread, to be honest.

If you're looking for Magic-style/size "standard card" sleeves my personal recommendation will be, in order:

1.) KMC. Japanese sleeves most consider "the best", me included. The price puts me off them, though. Colour variety is not very high. Ultra-Mattes are very nice. Never wrecked one of these.

2.) Dragon Shield. Much better colour variety than KMC, and a better pricepoint. Their new "Matte" sleeves are better than their regular old non-matte ones, IMO. Packaged in 100s which is great if you're not playing Magic Commander (100 card decks) but annoying if you are. I haven't managed to destroy one of these ever.

3.) Fantasy Flight in the colour-sized FFG branded packaging. Only really available in clear, so not much help if you want coloured backing. Since I generally need coloured backing, I don't often use these. But they are well-made.

4.) Ultra-Pro. I use these when I have to. But I find they split much more easily than other sleeves. Good colour variety, but they have a stupid stamped hologram on the front nobody likes. Good price-point, meh quality, but for the price you can have spares around if you destroy some.

5.) Ultimate Guard. Once upon a time I would have ranked these higher, but I got a couple batches of blue sleeves that were different shades of blue that forced me to re-sleeve decks and for that reason I'm only listing them for completeness. I won't ever use these sleeves again. Quality of build is better than Ultra-Pro, but if you have colour issues between batches they're worthless IMO.

6.) Mayday. I don't like Mayday. The penny sleeves are useless and even their "premium" sleeves have bad variation in size in both length AND width between packs, making them useless if you have to worry about being called out for having "marked" cards, like any competitive card game player does. They're also not opaque backed.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want to go premium, KMC are widely regarded to be the best sleeves in gaming and most MtG players sweat by them, me included. Their double-sleeving system is also the best on the market atm.

If it's literally just between Mayday and FFG, then I find FFG slightly better since their sleeves seem a bit thicker and are more consistent in terms of width and length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm happy with penny sleeves, so KMC, then Ultimate Guard are my favorites. I'll go to FFG or Ultra Pro for odd sizes the first two don't offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to use FFG sleeves, but after finding Dragon Shield I have started using those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use FFG sleeves. They are nice and I've never had a problem with them. They are a little longer than other sleeves.

My FLGS recently started stocking TMG sleeves. They are half the price of FFG ones. Does anyone know how they compare? Thanks. (And sorry if this is hijacking the thread.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
I feel the best price/quality company would be FFG sleeves. Personally I use Mayday because they are cheap and good enough quality, but since I use sleeves by the thousands, I save a ton by using Mayday. I wouldn't be able to tell you the best quality sleeves but I see a lot of people saying KMC or Dragon.

Worst sleeves mention for Ultra Pro, because of the stupid hologram that they feel the need to have in their sleeves.......why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
How does the thickness and quality of Mayday Premium sleeves compare with the ffg sleeves?
How does the thickness and quality of Mayday Premium sleeves compare with the ffg sleeves?

I have started sleeving all my ticket to ride cards (have most of the maps so need lots of sleeves!) with the mayday standard cards.

They do the job but I do like the feel of the the ffg sleeves which are much thicker and sturdier.

I was thinking of buying the mayday premium for sleeving the colour cards (handled a lot) and use up the standard sleeves I already have for tickets (handled much less).

The only other issue I need to consider is the increase in height of the deck of cards and whether they fit in the box.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonGameBoy wrote:
Thanks for your Help!
What about the DRAGON SHIELD SLEEVES?

These are what I always recommend if you can afford them. Typically about $10 for 100. Very durable and a nice heavy feel.

I've played lots of MTG with these sleeves and never had a split. People complain about them accumulating dirt, but I don't find it to be that noticeable or off putting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
BC2014 wrote:

Officially Mayday premium is 90 microns thickness, compared to FFG @100 microns. I personally don't notice the difference. With Mayday in my experience you are more likely to get a dud pack(incorrect sizing and so on) so if you can't deal with their customer service(they sent me 9 packs of replacements on a set of duds I got when I bought a bunch). I think it's inevitable that you will run into dud packs with Mayday, as there is enough bad stories out there. I don't use enough FFG to know if there is any issues out there, but if they are it is minimal.

In addition to being cheaper and having a great range of sizes I also like Mayday because I can sleeve things according to use. Cards that get used a lot get premium sleeved, cards that get used somewhat often get standard thickness(70 micron) and things like reference cards that get minimal handling get penny sleeves(very thin, I think there is a number of brands that do penny sleeves, probably better than Mayday, anyone have any suggestions???.) Keeps the fluids and grease away from the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone that played magic the gathering, and sleeved heavily played decks worth $500-$1,000 dollars, I can assure you that dragon shield are the best. I'd suggest the matte version. This works for standard trading card sizes, so if you need different sizes I'm unsure if dragon shield makes anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
I was a big fan of Fantasy Flight sleeves...until one of their sleeves ripped during shuffling in a Star Realms game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
CDiablo wrote:
BC2014 wrote:

Officially Mayday premium is 90 microns thickness, compared to FFG @100 microns. I personally don't notice the difference. With Mayday in my experience you are more likely to get a dud pack(incorrect sizing and so on) so if you can't deal with their customer service(they sent me 9 packs of replacements on a set of duds I got when I bought a bunch). I think it's inevitable that you will run into dud packs with Mayday, as there is enough bad stories out there. I don't use enough FFG to know if there is any issues out there, but if they are it is minimal.

In addition to being cheaper and having a great range of sizes I also like Mayday because I can sleeve things according to use. Cards that get used a lot get premium sleeved, cards that get used somewhat often get standard thickness(70 micron) and things like reference cards that get minimal handling get penny sleeves(very thin, I think there is a number of brands that do penny sleeves, probably better than Mayday, anyone have any suggestions???.) Keeps the fluids and grease away from the cards.

I'm not sure if it was Mayday but I had bought some sleeves for one of my games that were sticking together something horrible. I had to take all of the cards out of the sleeves and then re-sleeve them with a different brand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wong
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I prefer KMC sleeves, perfect size soft sleeves. You can easily find them on Amazon. I believe they are meant to be inner sleeves, but I use them as normal sleeves and they do just fine. They provide a very tight fit, which is good if you don't like to have your card swimming in the sleeve.

Their main disadvantage is that they only come in one size, and are quite slippery (but most new sleeves are).

I used to have FFG sleeves, which are very good quality, but they are just a tad bit too big. They are also thicker than the KMC sleeves, which adds up when you have a game with 100+ cards.

Mayday sleeves come in both standard and premium. I personally find the standard sleeves frustrating (they are thin and the crinkly sound they make as you inevitably crease them drives me crazy) but they are very affordable so if you're not as picky, or if you have a game with huge amounts of cards it will do. The premium sleeves are good quality sleeves that do the job.

I did have a small pack of TMG sleeves that came with my kickstarted version of Harbour. I don't have their specs, but would say they are comparable to Mayday premium in terms of size and quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a FFG man through and through. I've also used KMC and found them acceptable, along with some stuff from swan. I mainly use FFG yellows and greens, and FFG makes them with much better consistency than Mayday does at those sizes. Also once you start sleeving something you can't switch vendors.

My main gripe now though is that potamic can no longer sell FFG products which makes it pretty damn annoying when you need like 5 cartons of yellows. I prefer to have inventory on sleeves though so I'm buying for a year or more when I do buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.