Subject: Enemy drop icon and evading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
A couple of questions from my reading of the Beta Rulebook

What does the wreathed column icon mean on e.g. the Red Orc Shaman enemy card loot drop ?

It mentions in the evading text that if a moving hero enters and then leaves a non dominated area they suffer an evasion attack. It also mentions " or staying there and ending his movement ". Does this mean whenever a hero moves into and remains in a non dominated area they suffer an evasion attack ?

Also, I think these opportunity attacks are maybe too strong. Would it make a huge difference to say that heroes in a controlled rather than dominated area can avoid them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Martinez
United States
California
flag msg tools
From my understanding the wreathed column is the number of Enemy Powers the red Orc Shaman would get.

As far as the reaction attack mechanic being too strong, I can't really say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:
What does the wreathed column icon mean on e.g. the Red Orc Shaman enemy card loot drop ?

I couldn't find this in the rulebook, but if I remember correctly from the prototype it means you get to draw a treasure card.

Incarnadyne wrote:
It mentions in the evading text that if a moving hero enters and then leaves a non dominated area they suffer an evasion attack. It also mentions " or staying there and ending his movement ". Does this mean whenever a hero moves into and remains in a non dominated area they suffer an evasion attack ?

I'm not sure about this one; hopefully Simone will chime in with a clarification. It does indeed sound like whenever you move into or out of a non-dominated area, your hero receives reaction attacks (with a maximum of one reaction per in-out movement pair).

However, that would mean that every time you move a single hero into a new area with 2+ enemies and no friendly heroes, the enemies would all get a free swing at them. Which does seem way overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Thomas
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:

To me this means that the hero has a choice when entering a non-dominated area. 1) They can choose to move through it and suffer the evasion attack, or 2) They can choose to end their movement and stay in that area and they do not have to suffer that attack.

I could be totally wrong in this but it is how I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twinim wrote:
To me this means that the hero has a choice when entering a non-dominated area. 1) They can choose to move through it and suffer the evasion attack, or 2) They can choose to end their movement and stay in that area and they do not have to suffer that attack.

That makes far more logical sense. Hopefully they'll reword that section, because currently "or staying there and ending his movement" appears to be conditionally modifying "before leaving that area" rather than "reaction attacks are again triggered".

So basically if a hero moves out of a non-hero-dominated area, he must suffer reaction attacks from all enemies in that area. This occurs every time the hero leaves the area, even if he previously passed through that area as part of his current Movement action.

A minor rewording that would be more clear in the rules would be (bold text new):

"If, during his continued movement, a hero returns or enters a new area with enemies, reaction attacks are again triggered before leaving that area (but can be avoided by staying there and ending his movement)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Heroes,

Don't worry, it works exactly as Skaak says:

"if a hero moves out of a non-hero-dominated area, he must suffer reaction attacks from all enemies in that area. This occurs every time the hero leaves the area, even if he previously passed through that area as part of his current Movement action." so...
(reaction attacks can be avoided by staying in the area and ending the movement)."

I'm sorry that some of your has misunderstood the rule, it's too late for a fix in the first print run, but I will put it in the FAQ area of the S&S Website, ok ?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:
Also, I think these opportunity attacks are maybe too strong. Would it make a huge difference to say that heroes in a controlled rather than dominated area can avoid them ?

I'm with you there. See my thread a few months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Simone Romano wrote:
Hi Heroes,

Don't worry, it works exactly as Skaak says:

"if a hero moves out of a non-hero-dominated area, he must suffer reaction attacks from all enemies in that area. This occurs every time the hero leaves the area, even if he previously passed through that area as part of his current Movement action." so...
(reaction attacks can be avoided by staying in the area and ending the movement)."

I'm sorry that some of your has misunderstood the rule, it's too late for a fix in the first print run, but I will put it in the FAQ area of the S&S Website, ok ?

Thanks

Thanks Simone.

Btw what's the loot icon on the red orc shaman ? Treasure has a different icon listed in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the Ancient column icon ? it was a typo on the enemy beta cards,
That icon means "Legendary Power" and it is used for Hero Powers of Soul rank VII (see latest FB update).

About evading from a controlled area instead of a dominated area, it makes the game more easy, personally I don't like it, but I encourage any of you to tweak a bit the rules based on your taste

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Simone Romano wrote:
You mean the Ancient column icon ? it was a typo on the enemy beta cards,
That icon means "Legendary Power" and it is used for Hero Powers of Soul rank VII (see latest FB update).

About evading from a controlled area instead of a dominated area, it makes the game more easy, personally I don't like it, but I encourage any of you to tweak a bit the rules based on your taste

Thanks

Thanks again Simone. I knew I had seen that symbol somewhere else.

For evading, I will go with your (vastly larger) experience over mine. I guess KOs, companions and Ecarus are the best ways to manage this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dzone one
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Simone FAQ is fine with me... I am almost a little scared to ask but so you think the game will be delivered before Christmas? I noticed the Essen demo copy was still prototypes which indicates that you probably do not have production pieces yet. Please let us know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Hi Heroes,

[...], it's too late for a fix in the first print run, but I will put it in the FAQ area of the S&S Website, ok ?

Thanks

Considering rules are generally among the last things printed, does that mean we could be somewhat close to shipment???

ooooh, the excitment, if so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The punchboard and paper materials, and also dice are done, we should receive the new injection shoots next week, before that I'm in the same boat with you guys, I'm sorry for the delay but as you know for us and for Ares Games the components quality goes first...
Waiting can be boring, but I can assure that is the same for me, all our games have skipped Essen and Christmas

As a good news I can spoil that ACT II is almost done and the plot is even mode brilliant than ACT I!

Thanks and remember that YOU are the true heroes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be THAT sorry, i got carried away deducting stuff based on pretty much nothing... hence me asking clearly to be sure if i ought to really get excited (or not).

I'd rather have you take your time and deliver an awesome product rather than rushing it and have us "meeeeh" at it

Waiting is less boring than a half-baked game.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.