Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been looking at Finca and I love the windmill mechanic in the game but not a huge fan of the theme.

I also have vikings which works on a wheel too with slightly different mechanics.

Are there any similar game out there with the same mechanic as Finca but different theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really the same, but The Palaces of Carrara has a cool wheel mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlliantieAJ wrote:
Trajan
Not even remotely the same mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
AlliantieAJ wrote:
Trajan

The mancala idea?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca and Vikings are both great games and different enough from each other IMO. In fact I'd say Finca is one of those few euros of that era that really scaled well for 2-4 players which is worth a purchase in itself if you play a ton of 2 player. It's one of those euros I'm sad I got rid of years ago to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is somewhat similar. In Finca meeples are moved the number of spaces as meeples on the starting space. The same is true for Five Tribes, except that instead of a wheel you're working with a 5x6 tile grid. Personally, I like delivering fruit better than conjuring genies, but I enjoy the mechanics/isms of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlliantieAJ wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
AlliantieAJ wrote:
Trajan

The mancala idea?!
Trajan's mancala is a completely different thing though. You're not interacting with other people at all. And the action you take isn't modified by the number of items you land on.

In Finca, you're constantly having to think about how other people will move and how that impacts everything. That alone makes it a completely different thing. Additionally, landing on spots with a lot of other people gives you more stuff, making it a game about trying to land on busy spots. It plays nothing like Trajan at all. So yeah, it shares one small characteristic that the number of pips you start from determines where you'll end up, but that doesn't create anything remotely similar to the gameplay of Finca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
AlliantieAJ wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
AlliantieAJ wrote:
Trajan

The mancala idea?!
Trajan's mancala is a completely different thing though. You're not interacting with other people at all. And the action you take isn't modified by the number of items you land on.

In Finca, you're constantly having to think about how other people will move and how that impacts everything. That alone makes it a completely different thing. Additionally, landing on spots with a lot of other people gives you more stuff, making it a game about trying to land on busy spots. It plays nothing like Trajan at all. So yeah, it shares one small characteristic that the number of pips you start from determines where you'll end up, but that doesn't create anything remotely similar to the gameplay of Finca.

I know that but your first reaction was a bit too short to point that out.
It doesn't create the same thing but it is one of the main mechanics, you go that many spaces to land on that tile ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mancala games also involve leaving your workers behind as you move. Straight up rondel games do not have that feature, making it a very different mechanism.

Pete (agrees that they're totally different)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
Theseus: The Dark Orbit mancala works similarly to Finca. Otherwise not much in common between the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenzie316 wrote:
So I have been looking at Finca and I love the windmill mechanic in the game but not a huge fan of the theme.

According to a thread in the Finca forums there is a reprint of Finca coming, which apparently changes the theme from "farming and delivering goods in Spain" to "farming and delivering goods in North America". Not sure if that fixes your problem, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of the same is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Hamburgum, I think, also operates with a rondel wheel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Recommendations.

You'll get more responses here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.