Subject: A few questions about the variants. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got myself a copy of T&E and I really want to try the variants, but I have a few questions.

In the rules it explains the variants by first going over the advanced game board printed on the other side. Within that explanation it tells the user to then place the 4 civilization buildings and the ziggurat tiles near the game board. Does this mean those variants are only meant to be played when using the advanced game board AND both must be used at the same time?

Obviously I can play it however I please, but I would like to know if this is how the designer intended the variants to be used or if I'm just confused with the rule book.

Thanks! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The variants are only used on the advanced side of the board. In the previous Mayfair edition, it was implies that both the civilization buildings and the ziggurat tiles were to be used at the same time. But, IMO, this game seriously does not need a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
But, IMO, this game seriously does not need a variant.

This.

Of course, I tried the variants as I was curious about them, but T&E is already an amazing game with the great advantage of having very few rules. Adding the special buildings and the ziggurat means some additional rules - which are not difficult at all, but the basegame is so great already I never felt any need of playing with the new buildings again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lbleicher wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
But, IMO, this game seriously does not need a variant.

This.

Of course, I tried the variants as I was curious about them, but T&E is already an amazing game with the great advantage of having very few rules. Adding the special buildings and the ziggurat means some additional rules - which are not difficult at all, but the basegame is so great already I never felt any need of playing with the new buildings again.

Fair enough. But like you said, I'm curious to see whether or not I will like it. The game is fantastic, but I did want to try the variants out the way they were intended. If I like one more than the other I may just use that one. Or none at all, who knows! But anyway, thank you pfctsqr for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why should they only be used on the advanced side of the board? I can't see how that would make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the expansion (ziggurat and other special buildings) sold separately at one point?

The copy I own (pre-expansions) only has 1 side to the board. I've never played on the 'alternate' map. I'm thinking there was a time where the special buildings could have been purchased and used with this version of the game. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
maybe just because there are 2 blue temple spots on that advanced side, is it just to avoid having a blue temple spot unavailable if one of the variant buildings goes there. I've only read, but never played the variants and it was many years ago, so I can't really remember. I've played the base game several hundred times though. Still fun. As is.
IIRC, the civ buildings (that grant you an extra cube when laying tiles) is built when you have a line of 3 or more tiles, whereas you seem to be talking about the 2x2 spot for the monuments (comes in 4 choose 2 colors, and grants you a cube of the appropriate color if your leader is connected to it). 2 different things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Why should they only be used on the advanced side of the board? I can't see how that would make a difference.

The advanced side of the board has more space to fit in buildings as well as monuments.

But the current rules don't tie them together, they are separate sections in the advanced game rules section. You could assume the section is meant to mean all or nothing, except the English variant is clearly optional. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be used only with buildings or the alternative board.

(My name is not in the rulebook credits. But I did some work on the latest version.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.