Subject: Exploration boards & houses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trine R
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing only a few times and the winner is the one, NOT buying or selecting any exploration boards or houses. Could anyone help us in explaining the gain and/or winning strategy with exploration boards? It seems to be too few points to get if only coverering part of the exploration board in the end, but it takes at least three actions to get the board. How and when should houses be bought to be worth the wood/stone and action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nobbe genannt Kemper
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmb
E.g. buy an island early to increase your income and get bonus resources every round.

Or buy a house late to exchange resources you have left over for points.

Or get a high point value island late if you're done with your home board puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kottobal wrote:
We have been playing only a few times and the winner is the one, NOT buying or selecting any exploration boards or houses. Could anyone help us in explaining the gain and/or winning strategy with exploration boards? It seems to be too few points to get if only coverering part of the exploration board in the end, but it takes at least three actions to get the board. How and when should houses be bought to be worth the wood/stone and action?

We've played five games. One two player, one three player and three four player. All except the first game was won by a player with at least one exploration board. What we found happens is that by the end of the game you have way too many good tiles and your personal board is full. It's well worth the extra actions to have a place to put those tiles that give you points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 3 times, but yesterday I won 103 points to 99 with Greenland. I bought it in round 4 and profited a lot from the income it gave me. My opponent on the other hand had 2 stone houses, which easily gave him 20 points.

More in general: take the income the island will provide you into account when deciding which one to choose. For the houses, you can also place red and orange tiles there, which makes filling them not that difficult. Lastly, so far I haven't had any problems filling my home board. On the contrary! So far I always had tiles or turns left so that getting a late house and filling it was not a problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two types of island those with income/bonus goods and those with lots of VP. You go for the first kind early to get extra coins and goods, and you get the latter near the end to use all those blue/green tiles lying around. (Faroe island can give you 6 bonus goods and 4 coins while Newfoundland is worth almost 40 VP)

As for the cost you already need different ships for many actions.
If you go whaling you can get the early three islands (with only one viking), you need longships for plundering and knarr's for trading and you use both for emigration. So at some point in the game you'll get at least one ship so you only need one action at that point to get an island.

As a side not in one game I went all in for exploration and filled two islands and two houses (with a total of 5 negative points at the end).
I lost the game but it looked awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trine R
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the explaining. It helps to get more views on the game in terms of strategy. It make sense to buy early for exploration boards and house tiles near the end of the game. The trouble for our part is to get enough tiles to cover both home board and new boards. We tried yesterday both with one exploration board and we managed to get both home board and exploration board covered. Still only 92 and 82 points. Sadly the 82 for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing the long (7 rounds) or the short (6 rounds) game? We played the short game yesterday and it was indeed difficult to fill both home board and exploration board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero 164
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
48 points... provided your at a level you think you can mainly fill up your main board then why wouldn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THere is a new playthrough up on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94wErIm14Ig

Absolutely no sheep or cattle, but buildings and exploration boards.
Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our second game last night (both 4p games) and I won, again. I didnt got any exploration tiles in either game, but my friends did. I dont see the use of them, I mean, i understand the bonuses, but while they were trying to fill 2 bards, I was just focusing on one, so I was the first to finish the main board. then I got a few Buildings and filled them quickly.

The buildings VPs range is better than some islands and if you don't cover the negative points, it will still give you positive pints.

I just can't see the reason to gen an exploration board at any point in the game.

What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThisisRodrigo wrote:

I just can't see the reason to gen an exploration board at any point in the game.

What am I missing?

In 4 Player it's a matter of not doing what everybody does.
Main Board + Emmigration + Houses can work very well but if more than 2 players do it, the actions to build houses or emigrate will be heavily contested. It might also be hard to get the required Stones.
If nobody explores early on the boards get swapped and will give a lot of points even if not fully covered.
Combining 2 income from the main board with income and bonus from exploration boards is very attractive if you concentrate on it and only cover the main board late in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.