Subject: what all should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Potkaniak
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi adventurers,

I am on verge of ordering this game from official page. But when I go in to portalgames.pl mini-expansions tab and then in RC tab, there is TON of stuff there, like Robinson Crusoe: Crewman, Robinson Crusoe: Discovery Tokens, trait cards, characters, etc. Are those compatible with newest version of the game and are they needed/recommended to get? I just have no idea what is their purpose, if they are included in newer versions or not. And shipping is a bit high so I do not want to order one bit of a game at time, I would rather save game for all package of Robinson Crusoe game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I know so far:
- needed: no
- compatible: yes
- included in the new version: Custom wooden pieces, "King Kong" scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of gameplay in the box. There is no need for the add-ones until you've played through all of the included scenarios several times.

The beast cards on the Portal site are from The Voyage of the Beagle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
There is a lot of gameplay in the box. There is no need for the add-ones until you've played through all of the included scenarios several times.

Is the Voyage of the Beagle worth the purchase? I have the new (Portal) edition of RC on order and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival. The Beagle expansion seems the most significant and I was wondering whether I should order that as well. I do take your point about a lot of gameplay awaiting within the main game, but do like to purchase expansions that really add quality to base games. Is this one such expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hirsty9Owls wrote:
oilerfan wrote:

Is the Voyage of the Beagle worth the purchase? I have the new (Portal) edition of RC on order and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival. The Beagle expansion seems the most significant and I was wondering whether I should order that as well. I do take your point about a lot of gameplay awaiting within the main game, but do like to purchase expansions that really add quality to base games. Is this one such expansion?

Beagle is not one of those expansions that "expand" the base game. It is a self-contained 5 scenario "campaign" - meaning continuous scenarios that build on top of each other. If you really like the base game, you can get Beagle and have a wonderful adventure with Charles Darwin. But you won't get any new stuff for the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Taylor
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
But you won't get any new stuff for the base game.

You could add the beast cards and missionary, can you not? Or also the the crewmen (horse, surgeon etc.) to make the base game a touch easier?

I haven't played VotB, so I'm not entirely sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bat395 wrote:
Anduin wrote:
But you won't get any new stuff for the base game.

You could add the beast cards and missionary, can you not? Or also the the crewmen (horse, surgeon etc.) to make the base game a touch easier?

I haven't played VotB, so I'm not entirely sure.

Yes, of course. Forgot about those. Thanks for mentioning
The new crewmen are awesome. But it is definitely not worth getting the expansion just for those things. Beagle is for people who played the base game and now want to take the game system for a big campaign spin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hirsty9Owls wrote:
oilerfan wrote:

As noted above, the VotB expansion adds some event cards, a new character and extra crew members that you can use with the scenarios in the base game. But its heart is the 5-scenario campaign where you go exploring with Charles Darwin -- and which adds a lot of new and refreshing aspects to the game!
Of course, it only makes sense to play the campaign once you've played the base game quite a bit (every scenario at least once or twice, certainly).
And yes, you should absolutely purchase VotB! Whether right now or later depends on how confident you are that you will like the base game (if you don't like it, you probably won't like the expansion either).
VotB is one of the two best expansions I own overall. After we had started to get a little bit bored with the base game, VotB made everything super fresh and interesting again, and I just adore the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potkaniak
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you everyone, your replies really helped me!

I have ordered game yesterday. At the moment I play mostly with my GF and we have Dead of Winter LN and Elder Sign for co-op experience, so I believe this will be nice addition for 2 player game nights, as we like art a lot and gameplay looks pretty fun too. I plan to get some more heavier co-op games too but this one seems to have general enough theme for our other friends that are less into boardgames to join playing too. I only hope there is nothing wrong with my order as I have payed for it, but now I can not find game in portalgames shop catalog

EDIT: today I received msg that game will be available again in 2 weeks. Bit long wait time for me It is cursed! but I will get it in November then for sure, more I read/watch about this game, more I feel like it will be nice addition to our home collection. Can't wait ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameDoctor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is on the top of my buy list. Which edition did you order?...it seems the 4th edition has the improved English directions and one new scenario, but I also read more positive reviews on earlier edition quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
riznet wrote:
...I also read more positive reviews on earlier edition quality.

Where did you read this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameDoctor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen differing opinions which may be based on people that already have the z-man edition and have not seen (or want) the portal version....

Here is one of the postings (although further on the poster indicates that "...upgraded components don't matter to me...")

I am a big fan of game quality, so looking for anyone to confirm from first hand experience which version is the best.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22196062#22196062

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
The game wasn't even out when that conversation happened.
As far as I can tell, the new version has:

- Unique wooden resources (instead of colored cubes)
- Re-written, clearer rulebook
- Cardboard character sheets (instead of paper)
- Some wording changes on cards / tokens

There's not much reason to go for the old version now, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameDoctor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparison of old and new version.
https://twitter.com/BoardGameDoctor/status/79359505734139494...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Spits
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Great find BoardGameDoctor.
I pre-ordered it before I saw your post, and it makes me very happy that I did. It is a great feeling when you look at the changes they made and you can tell that they addressed pretty much every complaint people had on this forum. Plus I don't mind wooden cubes at all... but those new tokens ooze fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.